X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

It works both ways. If Pascal is hitting mid range after mid range, defenses will focus on him and Fred can play off ball. If Fred is averaging 32 PPG in his last 5 games, he'll get the defense's attention and Pascal can get to spots where he can get easy baskets like the Spurs game.
    Sometimes I wonder if Raptors blog writers are scouring this site for interesting topics to write about. Like one day after we have the conversation about the Pascal-FVV synergy, this article comes out.

This season has been a tale of two parts for the Toronto Raptors and VanVleet. Early in the year, VanVleet was the focal point of the offense for Toronto. Pascal Siakam was still recovering from offseason shoulder surgery and the Raptors asked VanVleet to carry the load. During that stretch, the first 10 games of the season, 56% of VanVleet's shot attempts were pull-ups, those difficult off-the-dribble jumpers, usually in tight quarters. He shot 52% on two-point pull-ups and 31% on three-point pull-ups, the latter of which is just below league average.

Then, on November 7, Siakam came back.

Since then, VanVleet has been able to move way more freely off the ball. Only 44.5% of his shots have been pull-ups since Siakam's return and VanVleet's catch-and-shoot numbers have taken off.
    Eventually, teams will adjust, as VanVleet knows. They'll start giving him the Curry treatment, chasing him around screens and pressuring him off-ball so he can't get those easy looks. When that happens, it'll open things up for Toronto on the inside, letting Siakam, Scottie Barnes, and OG Anunoby attack with a little less attention.
    https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...-giannis-curry

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Nice fun coast to coast win. I actually thought it would be a tight game too. Poeltl was going to be a handful, and they have a lot of athletic guards and wings. But the Raptors just ran through them. I think it was the third quarter, where the Raptors got anything they wanted on offense. Just got to the rim with ease. I know Murray wasn't playing but I don't think he would have made that much of a difference in the end.

Fred is just doing amazing things. The ball is a magnet to the rim when it's in his hands. Such a sweet stroke. Pascal is playing great as well. He picked up the early fouls, but just got to his spots. Helped move the ball. Grabbed a tonne of boards. Team high +26. Just playing great. Hope he keeps that up. Loved that he went 2-2 from 3 as well. Has to figure out his free throw shooting.. his FT% must be dropping.. but its probably just an anomaly. He's usually pretty good from the line.

Scottie played well too. Near Draymond like triple double. He's selective when he wants to do something offensively. Which I guess is fine, it works since we have some weapons that he can use. But one day we'll have high usage Scottie and that guy is going to be a great player.

OG didn't look like himself. Missed some shots that were a bit short. I think he'll get that corrected. Gary had a quiet 21. Didn't realize he scored that many until after the game. Will likely need one or both of these guys to really show up tonight against the Bucks though.

Really enjoyed the 6'9 line up.. Boucher and Achiuawa continue to look like they fit together. It's a weird combo but seems to work. Precious was +15, Chris +21. Combined went 14, 11, 1 with 3 steals and 3 blocks. If we continue to have this Chris play for us.. I would be fine with re-signing him. He's been really good the past few games. Either way his trade stock should be pretty good right now.

Champagnie was awesome. No idea why all of a sudden he got hot from 3 but will take it. That corner 3 is his shot.. he'll be wide open. He needs to embrace it and get good with it.

I didn't miss Svi or Yuta at all in this one. It helps when we have all our good players back though.

Leave a comment:

• Yuri Gagarin
    replied
    DanH wrote: View Post

Nailed it.

There was no reason to believe the Raptors were "on par" with the Spurs fully healthy, never mind the Spurs without Murray. Now, a close game can always happen but on par in terms of talent? Nope.
    Ya they looked bad but spurs are still my darkhorse to make some noise out west

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

It works both ways. If Pascal is hitting mid range after mid range, defenses will focus on him and Fred can play off ball. If Fred is averaging 32 PPG in his last 5 games, he'll get the defense's attention and Pascal can get to spots where he can get easy baskets like the Spurs game.
    Yep, it's a good synergy. In the past, Fred has been optimized when he ideally is surrounded by additional playmakers, a scorer who can attract a double-team and another 3-pt shooter. That's always been the recipe, going back to the bench mob.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied

Yeah. The more offensive threats you have, the easier it will be for all of them. Those two being great would not be as effective if they were playing with three Stanley Johnsons as if they have Barnes, OG, Trent or Birch as your extra scoring threats/screeners/creators.

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

Isn’t it the opposite? Pascal attracts double and triple teams and then Fred has more room to operate off-ball. Pascal was talking about that after the Knicks game.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Hey, Nick did the early Birch sub again! Loving the rotation that's building out of that one decision. Really makes the start small idea much more viable - even against larger teams you can take a few minutes to see if your swarming 6'9s can counter any size disadvantage, and if not you default back to your bigger starting look. And Barnes as the first sub off leaves him running the bench as the PG in those looks. He's essentially playing C with the starters and PG with the bench, what a wacky player.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
    I think we’re on par with this team and itll go to the wire
    Nailed it.

There was no reason to believe the Raptors were "on par" with the Spurs fully healthy, never mind the Spurs without Murray. Now, a close game can always happen but on par in terms of talent? Nope.

Leave a comment:

• DanH
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post
    New bench lineup: OG & the 6'9"s.
    Having a lineup where OG is the smallest guy is kind of insane. And a great way to buy Fred rest minutes.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied
    bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

Think it also shows how valuable Pascal is when we have another scoring threat. Since FVV has been on fire last few games and Pascal slotted into the 2nd guy on offense he has looked like all star Pascal again.
    Isn’t it the opposite? Pascal attracts double and triple teams and then Fred has more room to operate off-ball. Pascal was talking about that after the Knicks game.

Leave a comment:

• saints91
    replied
    Dominant win, great to see! These games are hard to watch. Zero energy on the broadcast, and in the arena.

Leave a comment:

• Dvdvideo
    replied
    Man Barnes threw a couple of straight up amazing passes in this one. Another nice win for the core of the future.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    .500 baby!

Leave a comment:

• Scraptor
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    shout out to everyone who hasn't freaked out about the raptors season thus far
    That Hannibal dude really lost his shit over nothing imo

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    Back to back dominant games and a 3 game win streak. The real competition comes tomorrow against the Bucks. If we win that we can definitely say the Raptors are emerging as a Playoff lock.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X