2022 NBA Trade Deadline (Feb 10th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post

We really banking on them wanting to be babysitters for that long?

9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

where did you dig this up? LOL
      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...lly-past-jazz/

Some stuff that will make people happy

The club has essentially ruled out trading any of who they define as their core -- Fred VanVleet, Pascal Siakam, OG Anunoby and Scottie Barnes aren’t going anywhere next month.
        The Raptors are actively gauging the potential return if they attach future assets -- a first-round pick at minimum -- to their one ‘no-brainer’ trade chip: Goran Dragic’s expiring $19.4 million contract.

The situation was a curve ball they didn’t see coming. The Raptors were optimistic Dragic could help them on the floor and maintain value as a trade piece as the season went along. But Dragic requested a personal leave to be with his family in Slovenia and now Miami, where they made their home for the previous seven years. The Raptors have respected Dragic’s wishes to keep the matter private, even though a since deleted video of Dragic working out in Miami led some to call into question Toronto’s choice to do the sign-and-trade rather than let Lowry become a free agent and use the resulting cap space to sign a player or two in free agency.
        The Raptors -- for good reason -- have little interest in a short-term fix, and nor should they. But adding some quality with some team control -- either a player with contract term, or a restricted free agent would be a priority.
        The urgency should be there. Team pillars VanVleet and Siakam aren’t exactly aging out, but they each turn 28 before the end of the season so it makes sense to leverage what promises to be their productivity peaks, particularly given Siakam is only under contract for two more seasons after this one, while VanVleet has one more year and a player option in 2023-24.

Add in that Gary Trent Jr. has only one more year of team control and Anunoby two and the Raptors don’t necessarily have the luxury of slow, organic growth before they will need to face some potentially challenging decisions regarding their key players.
        Fantasy trades are fun, but regardless of the Raptors' needs, it’s worth remembering that they will almost certainly looking to stay under the luxury tax cap so they can get what is expected to be a $10-15-million windfall distributed to non-taxpaying teams, which would make up some of the revenue they lost out on without having crowds allowed at Scotiabank Arena.

Comment

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...lly-past-jazz/

all good stuff. Basically on par with what I felt they would and should do. Again I feel like there may be one big move coming up in the off season depending on how the rest of the season/playoffs go. I think the person that they get now adds to that.

In response to you bringing back up the notion of trading FVV and Siakam. It isn't about babysitting. It is about having a mixture of talent at different stages of their career. You don't necessarily want some old dude who is 35+ unless they are purely a buy out and they are ring chasing. You would have 2 guys who are entering their prime and are going to be there for a while. You add in the infusion of young talent from a guy like Scottie. OG is there and will take steps forward but he doesn't have to make pascal sized steps forward. That is a good mixture of talent all on deals that line up around the same time and the team will be slated to remain relatively affordable for that time period as well. Trading Siakam AND Fred is a bad move because you are either trying to tank. OR you are just doing it just for the sake of doing it. We honestly underappreciated what we have (especially in Siakam) for the most part.

Anyways I won't keep harping. To move it forward a bit. I do think GTJ is another piece that they could really consider trading because of the financial control on that deal. I am still super confused why they didn't just sign him for the 3 years without the player option.

Has there ever been a case where someone does a team a "favor" by opting in on their player option to help a team build?

Comment

We really banking on them wanting to be babysitters for that long?
            No, but that doesn't change what the Raps are going to do.

Also wouldn't be surprised if those guys were okay with sticking around. I saw on Real GM today that Gerami Grant is open to resigning with Detroit because he's eligible to get the biggest payday from them. More and more guys are prioritizing money over wins, especially in that talent level below the max contract. That's the range where Fred and Siakam are.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

No, but that doesn't change what the Raps are going to do.

Also wouldn't be surprised if those guys were okay with sticking around. I saw on Real GM today that Gerami Grant is open to resigning with Detroit because he's eligible to get the biggest payday from them. More and more guys are prioritizing money over wins, especially in that talent level below the max contract. That's the range where Fred and Siakam are.
              I would argue given that Pascal got paid in an all-NBA season that he had increased baseline leverage but they shouldn't have extended him early in my opinion. Especially as a restricted free agent. Reupping OG was smart though.

*Jerami Grant . *

Fred will want an increase and he is up earlier so yes that is another reason why you secretly shop in in the off season but we should stick with in season moves for this specific thread.

Comment

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nba/article...lly-past-jazz/

Please don't be Michael Grange please don't be Micha---fuck the whole article is worthless
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I would argue given that Pascal got paid in an all-NBA season that he had increased baseline leverage but they shouldn't have extended him early in my opinion. Especially as a restricted free agent. Reupping OG was smart though.

*Jerami Grant . *

Fred will want an increase and he is up earlier so yes that is another reason why you secretly shop in in the off season but we should stick with in season moves for this specific thread.
                  Yeah Fred is on a great deal for the Raps right now and will see a raise in his next contract. Siakam has been playing really well as of late so we'll see where his value is when it comes time for a new contract. Trent, OG and Barnes down the line are all going to be looking for raises as well. Can't pay them all.

Comment

Please don't be Michael Grange please don't be Micha---fuck the whole article is worthless
                    yeah a complete reverse can happen since it's Grange

Comment

On the bright side, Josh Lewenberg said some of the same stuff.

Comment

• I think we'll likely be out of the play-in by the time the deadline comes around. Are we really going to be buyers?

Deadline is Feb 10. The schedule looks tough as hell:

Jan 25 - Charlotte
                        Jan 26 - @ Chicago (B2B)
                        Jan 29 - @ Miami
                        Jan 31 - @ Atlanta
                        Feb 1 - Miami (B2B, 3 in 4)
                        Feb 3 - Chicago
                        Feb 4 - Atlanta (B2B, 3 in 4 again)
                        Feb 7 - @ Charlotte
                        Feb 9 - @ OKC
                        Feb 10 - @ Houston (B2B)
                        The deadline will end before that Houston game starts so doesn't really count.

I think they get to below .500 before the deadline. Especially if Fred is out for an extended time.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                          I think we'll likely be out of the play-in by the time the deadline comes around. Are we really going to be buyers?

Deadline is Feb 10. The schedule looks tough as hell:

Jan 25 - Charlotte
                          Jan 26 - @ Chicago (B2B)
                          Jan 29 - @ Miami
                          Jan 31 - @ Atlanta
                          Feb 1 - Miami (B2B, 3 in 4)
                          Feb 3 - Chicago
                          Feb 4 - Atlanta (B2B, 3 in 4 again)
                          Feb 7 - @ Charlotte
                          Feb 9 - @ OKC
                          Feb 10 - @ Houston (B2B)
                          The deadline will end before that Houston game starts so doesn't really count.

I think they get to below .500 before the deadline. Especially if Fred is out for an extended time.
                          Well its only the Miami and Chicago games that will be tough. Maybe Hawks. Although for Chicago, Lonzo and Caruso are out for several weeks.

Raptors have around the 8th easiest schedule in the league the rest of the way.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Well its only the Miami and Chicago games that will be tough. Maybe Hawks. Although for Chicago, Lonzo and Caruso are out for several weeks.

Raptors have around the 8th easiest schedule in the league the rest of the way.
                            Chicago isn't as tough without Ball and Caruso being ball hawks. The problem is how tight that schedule is. There are 3 back to backs.. one long stretch of 5 games in 7 nights. So the tail end of those 3 in 4's are not going to be easy. Lots of road games. And again if we don't have Fred, that's a pretty easy loss. He's our most important player because our depth is non existent.

I just think it's a gamble to move a FRP when you have a losing record. The Bulls did that last season and Orlando ended up with a pretty good pick out of it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Yeah Fred is on a great deal for the Raps right now and will see a raise in his next contract. Siakam has been playing really well as of late so we'll see where his value is when it comes time for a new contract. Trent, OG and Barnes down the line are all going to be looking for raises as well. Can't pay them all.
                              as long as no one ever gets a super max ... like I said what tends to happen is someone will sign their max deal then after ... especially if they have won already it becomes more important that they prioritize winning. Pascal could very well be ok with not maximizing his dollar amounts for that reason given that he has already secured the big big bag.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Chicago isn't as tough without Ball and Caruso being ball hawks. The problem is how tight that schedule is. There are 3 back to backs.. one long stretch of 5 games in 7 nights. So the tail end of those 3 in 4's are not going to be easy. Lots of road games. And again if we don't have Fred, that's a pretty easy loss. He's our most important player because our depth is non existent.

I just think it's a gamble to move a FRP when you have a losing record. The Bulls did that last season and Orlando ended up with a pretty good pick out of it.
                                Depends on who we get back. Reports are Raptors are okay with attaching a FRP, but it could very well not happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X