2022 NBA Trade Deadline (Feb 10th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danilo Galinari + pick for Dragic.

We take on shitty contract for Hawks, give them a way out of it. They give us a pick in exchange. It'll probably be second rounders.

I doubt we get young productive players for Dragic. He's borderline buyout candidate.
    Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• One thing that still worries me with Turner is he wants a bigger role. I brought it up before I will state it here again. What level of "bigger role" is he looking for

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

Not a chance.

There's only three good reasons to make a trade in basketball:

1. To increase the overall amount of basketball talent you control in the medium and long term (trading existing talent you can't use for a playoff push for picks or young players on rookie deals, trading agglomerations of okay-to-good players for a superstar);
        2. To address a glaring need or deficiency in an otherwise competitive/contending team (the classic "let's trade a couple seconds for PJ Tucker" method);
        3. Because a player demands it and you think the intangibles of making that player happy are worth it.

Trading for Eric Gordon doesn't fill any of these criteria. He's an expiring deal, so trading for him effectively lessens the amount of basketball talent the Raps control in the medium/long term. Although he would probably improve the team, he certainly doesn't make us into contenders. And nobody is asking for Eric Gordon to become a Raptor. The trade really doesn't make sense.
        I think Gordon has next year locked in as well. But otherwise I agree. Not going to be high on their list of targets.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Not a chance.

1. To increase the overall amount of basketball talent you control in the medium and long term (trading existing talent you can't use for a playoff push for picks or young players on rookie deals, trading agglomerations of okay-to-good players for a superstar);
          2. To address a glaring need or deficiency in an otherwise competitive/contending team (the classic "let's trade a couple seconds for PJ Tucker" method);
          3. Because a player demands it and you think the intangibles of making that player happy are worth it.

Trading for Eric Gordon doesn't fill any of these criteria. He's an expiring deal, so trading for him effectively lessens the amount of basketball talent the Raps control in the medium/long term. Although he would probably improve the team, he certainly doesn't make us into contenders. And nobody is asking for Eric Gordon to become a Raptor. The trade really doesn't make sense.
          it does solve 1. because he has an extra year on his deal and then a team option. Long term no.

Also Houston has stated they don't mind keeping and retaining him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think Gordon has next year locked in as well. But otherwise I agree. Not going to be high on their list of targets.
            i'd sooner target levert over gordon.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
              One thing that still worries me with Turner is he wants a bigger role. I brought it up before I will state it here again. What level of "bigger role" is he looking for
              34 minutes and 12.5 shots sound reasonable? Because thats 5 more minutes and 30% more shots than he's getting now
              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Toronto has been circling centers for some time. There were discussions regarding a Sabonis-Pascal Siakam swap, but those negotiations stalled, sources said.
                Bobby: so, we've talked for awhile about Turner, and are moving nowhere. What about Sabonis?

Pacers: Sure, we'd like Siakam back for him

Bobby: hahhahaha no.

Pacers: it appears negotiations have stalled.
                Last edited by KeonClark; Thu Jan 27, 2022, 03:28 PM.
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                  I doubt we get young productive players for Dragic. He's borderline buyout candidate.
                  He's absolutely a buyout candidate, but him and a first-rounder is a decent framework to get whatever talent we might want given his contract size. The other team isn't trading for Dragic, they're trading for the pick.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                    One thing that still worries me with Turner is he wants a bigger role. I brought it up before I will state it here again. What level of "bigger role" is he looking for
                    I imagine that starts with just touching the ball. Turner gets the 7th most frontcourt touches of any Pacer per game (21.3), in spite of playing the 4th most minutes. Of rotation players, Turner also gets the least time with the ball per touch, suggesting he is either a pure finisher or swinging the ball in their offence (1.39 seconds per touch).

The Raptors centers in Birch and Precious both have just as many front court touches per game as Turner this year in spite of playing 5-10 fewer minutes per game. Birch is used as a finisher and has the same 1.39 seconds per touch, but Precious is almost double that. So should be really easy to give him a bigger role in the offence than he is used to.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

He's absolutely a buyout candidate, but him and a first-rounder is a decent framework to get whatever talent we might want given his contract size. The other team isn't trading for Dragic, they're trading for the pick.
                      Plus they likely buy Dragic out after the deal anyway, which is a win-win-win for everyone, as Dragic probably gives back a little money, and is also free to sign wherever he wants, including Miami, which he could not do if we bought him out.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Not a chance.

1. He has another year after this one. He actually has a third year, but it is fully non-guaranteed.
                        2. We need bench scoring, and Masai wants to be a buyer per both Grange and Lewenberg.
                        3. I don't think Gordon cares where he plays. But I'm sure he'd prefer a team that's trying to make the playoffs than one that's not.

If we don't want to improve our chances for this season, then he's a bad get. If we stick with a "it's a development season", then he's a bad get. If we want to add to the core this season for the long term, then he's a bad get. But if we want to try and elevate this group for this season, then he's a perfect candidate IMO.

Comment

First rounder is too valuable to Raptors or at least it should be.
                          Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

1. He has another year after this one. He actually has a third year, but it is fully non-guaranteed.
                            2. We need bench scoring, and Masai wants to be a buyer per both Grange and Lewenberg.
                            3. I don't think Gordon cares where he plays. But I'm sure he'd prefer a team that's trying to make the playoffs than one that's not.

If we don't want to improve our chances for this season, then he's a bad get. If we stick with a "it's a development season", then he's a bad get. If we want to add to the core this season for the long term, then he's a bad get. But if we want to try and elevate this group for this season, then he's a perfect candidate IMO.

Problem with Gordon is as much as he might help the offence, his defence is a disaster. Will he even see the court under Nick? Or enough to truly elevate the team (assuming his defence doesn't undercut said elevation in the first place)?
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Problem with Gordon is as much as he might help the offence, his defence is a disaster. Will he even see the court under Nick? Or enough to truly elevate the team (assuming his defence doesn't undercut said elevation in the first place)?
                              That's true.. he's a bad defender. And having one bad defender on the floor may be an issue for him. We're looking at about 15-20 minutes from him as a guy that can help the team while Fred or Trent are on the bench resting.

Comment

I imagine that starts with just touching the ball. Turner gets the 7th most frontcourt touches of any Pacer per game (21.3), in spite of playing the 4th most minutes. Of rotation players, Turner also gets the least time with the ball per touch, suggesting he is either a pure finisher or swinging the ball in their offence (1.39 seconds per touch).

The Raptors centers in Birch and Precious both have just as many front court touches per game as Turner this year in spite of playing 5-10 fewer minutes per game. Birch is used as a finisher and has the same 1.39 seconds per touch, but Precious is almost double that. So should be really easy to give him a bigger role in the offence than he is used to.
                                Yeah it is hard to know. But again does he just want to be more involved in the offense AT ALL, or perhaps he truly wants a big role. Christian Wood also wants a bigger role and thinks he is the best guy on his team too hence why I am not big on getting him. But focusing back on Turner. he is a target that is both interesting yet I still have my reservations. Again wouldn't be mad if we were able to net him at a FAIR price. I also think he would retain his value for us. He has been interesting ever since the playoffs where we faced him when I believe he was just a rookie.

I think he is good enough, when healthy, to bring some level of rim protection and offensive ability to boost us. I would also consider running him out with the starters and then pulling him early and running him on the bench with another starter if possible if it helped bring stability to that line up too but if not it helps put other guys in their natural place. Boucher for example would be getting the number of minutes he should be getting (he shouldn't be getting more than 10-15 on average come playoff time).

It could allow us to run GTJ off the bench and see how that affects things and this owuldn't have to be a change that occurs right away because I think our team is good enough to allow Turner to heal up. BUT again I do maintain my reservations.

For others, this isn't sitting on the fence but giving some level of consideration to something. I have always thought turner was interesting if someone wants to go back to my post history back to October. I actually was more into turner then than now and slowly talked myself out of it because I just felt like his defensive impact was a tad overrated. I still feel that but he would be an upgrade.

To your credit it would be similar to the ibaka type of trade. except he is younger.

Asset accumulation if possible regardless of it being holmes, levert, turner, jakob is the correct move. Assuming its not a dramatic overpay with your own assets (hence the idea of asset accumulation).

Comment

Working...
                                X