Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kyle Lowry.... MVP??

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kyle Lowry.... MVP??

    We are nearly 1/5 the way through the NBA season and I think its relevant to consider whom the NBA public would vote for early NBA MVP.

    Now understand: I'm not crazy in thinking that Lowry is outright leader in MVP voting for the entire league, I'm simply suggesting the case be considered.

    This is the top 20 PER ranking so far this season. Note the three Raptors included.

    RANK PLAYER TEAM MPG AST TO REBR PER VA EWA
    1 A. DAVIS. NO. 36.7 7.8 5.2 17 34.6 164.4 5.5
    2 B. WRIGHT DAL 19.3 3.7 5.5 13.1 30.48 81.9 2.7
    3 M. SPEIGHTS GS 14.4 6.6 9 16.1 28.64 44.3 1.5
    4 D. COUSINS SAC 31.7 8.5 13.5 22.7 27.75 113.6 3.8
    5 C. PAUL LAC 35.6 37.3 5.5 7.7 27.55 114.3 3.8
    6 S. CURRY GS 33.5 25.6 11.8 9 27.44 106.7 3.6
    7 D. NOWITSKI DAL 27.7 11.6 5.4 11.4 24.93 83.4 2.8
    8 J HARDEN HOU 37.1 20.4 13 9.7 24.62 109.5 3.7
    9 L. JAMES CLE 38 21.9 11.5 9 24.27 101.5 3.4
    10 D. WADE. MIA 32.4 23.7 10.7 6.8 24.22 53.1 1.8
    12 L. WILLIAMS TOR 19.8 6.9 7.4 4.2 23.6 54.1 1.8
    13 I. THOMAS PHX 23.6 21.7 10.1 5.7 23.17 64.3 2.1
    14 D. FAVOURS UTA 30.7 9.1 9.1 17.1 23.07 79.5 2.6
    15 K. LOWRY TOR 33.5 26 7 8.7 22.97 83.8 2.8
    16 D. LILLARD POR 34.8 25.7 12.4 8.3 22.78 85.6 2.9
    17 M. GASOL MEM 35.1 13.3 11.8 13.2 22.73 89.1 3.0
    18 C. BOSH MIA 35.1 10 9.7 15.7 22.71 95.3 3.2
    19 J. BUTLER CHI 39.2 14 7.8 8.7 22.62 92.2 3.1
    20 J. VAL. TOR 24.5 4.8 12.9 19.2 22.57 56.8 1.9

    Of this list you notice a couple standouts.

    a) Anthony Davis is playing out of his mind
    b) Those less than 20 min a game are high eff. bench scorers (notable Loooooouuu)
    c) Kyle Lowry is right there with the best PG in the league

    I understand he is limited in ability form a size and position standpoint, and I understand I have a viewing bias but through the first 20% of the season I feel Lowry is undoubtedly the Raptors MVP. He provides the offence when we are in need of points, the defence when we are in need of stops and I feel the confidence of the team stems from his personality. The Toronto Raptors have the leagues best record (we beat Memphis in the matchup).

    Kyle Lowry should be in the conversation of the MVP of the NBA.

    (I apologize for formatting of my table, not sure how to get Hollinger's table to format on this website)

  • #2
    He certainly brings a lot of intangibles that aren't directly seen on the stat sheet which could factor into being considered within the Most Valuable Player discussion however there are a lot of other players that have just as much if not higher Estimated Win Shares which is what I think MVP should be primarily based on.

    For example Anthony Davis has an EWA of 5.5 right now which is an absolutely crazy amount for this early in the season. He is therefore the early front-runner for MVP in my mind.

    Comment


    • #3
      Absolutely agree Emanpop. Davis is like I mentioned playing out of his mind. If they don't make the playoffs would that factor into the decision process?

      Again, its a stretch to concider Lowry the most valuable player in the entire league. However I feel he is the Raptors MVP.

      Depending on what record we end up with and what seeding we secure... he HAS to be somewhere in the convo... right? Or maybe I'm delousianal haha...

      Comment


      • #4
        I was just thinking about this today.

        The MVP typically goes to someone with a combination of outstanding personal and team success.

        Since the 2000-01 season, the average record of an MVP's team has been 0.734, or 60-22. The worst team winner was Nash's second win in Phoenix, where he lugged the Suns to a 54-28 record.

        That said, there's often been a feeling that the MVP has to have been "in the conversation" for at least a year or two before winning. The exceptions to this were DRose, whose team improved by 21 wins under Thibs, and Nash, whose team improved by 33 wins with Nash and Pringles.

        There's also the general acknowledgment that the award belongs to either LeBron or KD while they're in their prime. Now, LeBron didn't win in his first year in Miami, a year in which the team improved by "only" 11 wins after the big 3 formed. And so far things in Cleveland have started out just as wonky. But Cleveland won just 33-49 last year. So if they can make it to say 55 wins, carried by LeBron, I think LeBron still has a good shot. In the East it's definitely possible.

        KD is facing similar issues. There is no way the team sniffs 60 wins now, not in the West. Hell, they're going to struggle to make the playoffs. So unfortunately I think his chances are very slim.

        So.... the field may be wide open this year.

        Chris Paul has generally been considered the third-best player in the league. His window is open this year. The Clips won 57 last year, but the West is as tough as ever, so I doubt they can make it to 60. Another problem is Paul will face vote-splitting with Blake Griffin.

        Steph Curry is in the mix this year. Same with Marc Gasol. But it's too early to say if their records will hold up (like the Raps), especially in the West.

        Anthony Davis is having a freakish year. His frequent comparison is KG, but even the year KG won MVP the TWolves had a record of 58-24.

        James Harden has an outside shot. If the Rockets can somehow win 60, I think he has a chance, but that team is shallow and getting to 60 will be tough unless they stay almost perfectly healthy. Plus I don't think people really like Harden or Morey.

        In terms of help, Kyle probably has the least star power next to him, save for maybe AD, so that will help. Plus I think the Raptors could be the feel-good story of the year. But I am biased there, lol.

        Basically, for him to win the MVP, I think the Raps have to win the East with at least 58 wins, and win more than the Warriors (Curry), Grizz (Gasol), and a lot more than the Pelicans (Davis). If the Spurs or Mavs win 60, I think their veteran depth will work against an MVP from that team.

        So there are a lot of variables this year. But if things keep going the way they have been, Kyle definitely has a shot. He's been our clear MVP for a while now.
        It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

        Comment


        • #5
          Scraptor wrote: View Post
          I was just thinking about this today.

          The MVP typically goes to someone with a combination of outstanding personal and team success.

          Since the 2000-01 season, the average record of an MVP's team has been 0.734, or 60-22. The worst team winner was Nash's second win in Phoenix, where he lugged the Suns to a 54-28 record.

          That said, there's often been a feeling that the MVP has to have been "in the conversation" for at least a year or two before winning. The exceptions to this were DRose, whose team improved by 21 wins under Thibs, and Nash, whose team improved by 33 wins with Nash and Pringles.

          There's also the general acknowledgment that the award belongs to either LeBron or KD while they're in their prime. Now, LeBron didn't win in his first year in Miami, a year in which the team improved by "only" 11 wins after the big 3 formed. And so far things in Cleveland have started out just as wonky. But Cleveland won just 33-49 last year. So if they can make it to say 55 wins, carried by LeBron, I think LeBron still has a good shot. In the East it's definitely possible.

          KD is facing similar issues. There is no way the team sniffs 60 wins now, not in the West. Hell, they're going to struggle to make the playoffs. So unfortunately I think his chances are very slim.

          So.... the field may be wide open this year.

          Chris Paul has generally been considered the third-best player in the league. His window is open this year. The Clips won 57 last year, but the West is as tough as ever, so I doubt they can make it to 60. Another problem is Paul will face vote-splitting with Blake Griffin.

          Steph Curry is in the mix this year. Same with Marc Gasol. But it's too early to say if their records will hold up (like the Raps), especially in the West.

          Anthony Davis is having a freakish year. His frequent comparison is KG, but even the year KG won MVP the TWolves had a record of 58-24.

          James Harden has an outside shot. If the Rockets can somehow win 60, I think he has a chance, but that team is shallow and getting to 60 will be tough unless they stay almost perfectly healthy. Plus I don't think people really like Harden or Morey.

          In terms of help, Kyle probably has the least star power next to him, save for maybe AD, so that will help. Plus I think the Raptors could be the feel-good story of the year. But I am biased there, lol.

          Basically, for him to win the MVP, I think the Raps have to win the East with at least 58 wins, and win more than the Warriors (Curry), Grizz (Gasol), and a lot more than the Pelicans (Davis). If the Spurs or Mavs win 60, I think their veteran depth will work against an MVP from that team.

          So there are a lot of variables this year. But if things keep going the way they have been, Kyle definitely has a shot. He's been our clear MVP for a while now.
          Usually for players who aren't statistically dominant the team will need to be good for a few years for MVP consideration. Nash and the Suns were really good before he won MVP

          Comment


          • #6
            I agree with this entire statement. I also am a full believer that a lot of the league feels Lowry got robbed last year. This is a strong and real case that he should have made All-Star last year.

            I agree that there are probably two players above him currently (Davis, Curry) and that Lowry is tied with a couple players depending on seeding (Harden, Howard, Dirk, Rondo, Paul, + many more) but when it comes to the player that means the most to his team... wow! I feel that Lowry has been the difference between this those ghosts team gone past. I have watched this team for the past 5 years.. you have to factor leadership, ability, confidence into the equation.

            Comment


            • #7
              raptors999 wrote: View Post
              Usually for players who aren't statistically dominant the team will need to be good for a few years for MVP consideration. Nash and the Suns were really good before he won MVP
              Uh, no. The Suns were 29-53, second-worst the year before Nash arrived and immediately won his first MVP. The turnaround is why he won.
              It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

              Comment


              • #8
                Scraptor wrote: View Post
                Uh, no. The Suns were 29-53, second-worst the year before Nash arrived and immediately won his first MVP. The turnaround is why he won.
                Yeah forgot the biggest turn around year. Guards who don't lead any statistical category is still hard to get MVP. I think Lowry deserves it but hard to justify except by team wins.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Scraptor wrote: View Post
                  Uh, no. The Suns were 29-53, second-worst the year before Nash arrived and immediately won his first MVP. The turnaround is why he won.
                  The Raptors were near the bottom before Lowry arrived. Listen, sometimes you get a gift when you are least expecting it! Lowry is our gift. He is our most valuable player. It is ok to have him, it is ok to have one, and we deserve it. #wetheappriciate

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hurricane_Herm wrote: View Post
                    The Raptors were near the bottom before Lowry arrived. Listen, sometimes you get a gift when you are least expecting it! Lowry is our gift. He is our most valuable player. It is ok to have him, it is ok to have one, and we deserve it. #wetheappriciate
                    I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

                    Is Kyle our MVP? Absolutely. I think we all appreciate him a great deal.

                    Will he win the NBA MVP? It'll be tough. But even being in the discussion (he was sixth on the NBA.com MVP Ladder last week, and should climb higher this week) is a great honour.
                    It's the Spicy Show! Time to cook.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Lowry would need to get his numbers up a bit more to win the award. Also would need a few dominating performances against elite teams.

                      I don't see him winning it at all tbh.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        has there ever been an MVP that hasn't been an all-star? doubt it. not going to happen.

                        as for raptors mvp? pretty sure that was made clear last year already.

                        also, we didnt really start winning until the rudy gay trade. lowry had been on the team for a full season already.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever who our MVP is.

                          But like others have said, I can't see Lowry winning the league award, even if this winning trend continues. He'll be in the discussion though.

                          But let's focus our attention on the allstar game first. If he's not on the East roster, the whole league is a sham.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            NBA.com has Lowry at #4 in the MVP race:
                            http://www.nba.com/2014/news/feature...mvp/index.html

                            Lowry is the rare player who can completely control the flow of a game without calling his own number all of the time, as he did in the Raptors' road win over Atlanta. Lowry's mastery of the Raptors' attack allows him to dictate tempo and facilitate for a deep and talented roster. To assume this would happen with any point guard is a stretch, considering how the Raptors have taken off since Lowry assumed the controls. He's the perfect fit and has the perfect skill set to orchestrate things for the best scoring team in the league.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Off topic...I was worried about Brandon Wright in tonight's game....and seeing this list I am even more so!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X