X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark
    replied
    Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    I read on the main page that we were apparently out of timeouts, not sure tho
    We had a 20 second

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    Yabadabayolo wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't classify gv's play as hero ball. He was genuinely one of the players that actually kept us in the game. He shot 50% as well! not really considered chucking.

Lou is a hero ball player. That's why he was brought in, that's what he's done his entire career. I really had no problem with his chucking since he's been doing it his entire life and he at least got really hot when it counted. (That big run when lowry was on the bench)

Lowry on the other hand, took far too many shots than he should have. He really channeled his inner rudy gay in this game. 10 - 28 remind anyone of gay 9 -36 game. It was around this time last year. Lowry was out there and he looked like he just didn't trust his teammates at all. He looked off all of them on multiple occasions and decided to either take a bad shot, or attempted to draw a hard foul and the calls just weren't in the raps favour either. He basically did everything dd does that causes peoples head to explode. Overall, very poor performance.
    I agree that GV's shot selection wasn't too bad for the most part, as they came within the flow of the offense - open 3's or aggressive drives. There were a couple times that I scratched my head, though you're right that he wasn't nearly as bad as Lou or Lowry.

It's not just the high volume of shots that I had an issue with, but their complete lack of commitment to team-ball. Lowry was by far the worst culprit. It got so bad that the Lakers knew what was coming - I recall one play in OT I believe, when Hill just left his man and stood under the basket waiting for Lowry (everybody knew he was just looking for his own shot) and easily blocked him. Calling your own number is one thing, especially if you're hot, but last night was a terrible team display.

Leave a comment:

• yabadabayolo
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    But can someone explain to me why we didn't get a timeout with 1.2 left? I think lowry had every right to "whine"

And lebron and kobe lead the league year in and year out in whining and still get calls every time a gust of wind brushes their cheek whisker so I'm not too worried about it.
    I read on the main page that we were apparently out of timeouts, not sure tho

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    But can someone explain to me why we didn't get a timeout with 1.2 left? I think lowry had every right to "whine"

And lebron and kobe lead the league year in and year out in whining and still get calls every time a gust of wind brushes their cheek whisker so I'm not too worried about it.

Leave a comment:

• yabadabayolo
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If it weren't for Ross' clutch 3pt shooting and JV's rebounding and help-defense, the game wouldn't have even made it to overtime. It's just one game and they still have tons of room for improvement, but I don't understand how last night's game could be any sort of 'proof' or 'evidence' of why JV/Ross aren't/shouldn't be used in crunch-time; if anything, I would argue that it showed they are capable of both handling the pressure and contributing positively.

Last night's game also reinforced the sentiment that the Raptors don't perform well when they rely on hero-ball. Those against hero-ball don't care who plays the 'hero' role either, since the disdain for such a gameplan is universal (it's not just anti-DeRozan sentiment). Case-in-point:

Lowry: 10-28 / 1-8
    Vasquez: 8-16 / 1-5
    Lou: 5-17 / 3-9

COMBINED: 23-61 (37.7%) / 5-22 (22.7%)

The lack of team-play last night was evident and the chucking was hugely inefficient. I don't care which 5 players are on the court, that approach will never be successful in a sustainable way, especially during a grinding 7-game playoff series.
    I wouldn't classify gv's play as hero ball. He was genuinely one of the players that actually kept us in the game. He shot 50% as well! not really considered chucking.

Lou is a hero ball player. That's why he was brought in, that's what he's done his entire career. I really had no problem with his chucking since he's been doing it his entire life and he at least got really hot when it counted. (That big run when lowry was on the bench)

Lowry on the other hand, took far too many shots than he should have. He really channeled his inner rudy gay in this game. 10 - 28 remind anyone of gay 9 -36 game. It was around this time last year. Lowry was out there and he looked like he just didn't trust his teammates at all. He looked off all of them on multiple occasions and decided to either take a bad shot, or attempted to draw a hard foul and the calls just weren't in the raps favour either. He basically did everything dd does that causes peoples head to explode. Overall, very poor performance.
    Last edited by yabadabayolo; Mon Dec 1, 2014, 06:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    It was a perfect storm of Kobe gunning for 6000 assists, the Lakers being sad and desperate for a win, and the Raptors having to make a pretty big adjustment after losing a key offensive player.

I think the disappointing part of this game was how they lost. They really beat themselves out there. The Lakers did not play that well.
    It didn't help that in the first half the entire Lakers team was hitting practically every shot. Young and Ellington were unconscious for long range.

There are 2 concerning trends for me, which I've seen from the Raptors leaders - Lowry & DeRozan. First, when the game is tight, that's when they have been reverting to hero-ball, which only helps dig a deeper hole. Second, Lowry's incessant whining to the refs lately has me worried that he'll get a bad rep with them, which won't help his cause in the long-run; I wish they'd just shut-up and play, ideally avoiding the reliance on calls to score.

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    If it weren't for Ross' clutch 3pt shooting and JV's rebounding and help-defense, the game wouldn't have even made it to overtime. It's just one game and they still have tons of room for improvement, but I don't understand how last night's game could be any sort of 'proof' or 'evidence' of why JV/Ross aren't/shouldn't be used in crunch-time; if anything, I would argue that it showed they are capable of both handling the pressure and contributing positively.

Last night's game also reinforced the sentiment that the Raptors don't perform well when they rely on hero-ball. Those against hero-ball don't care who plays the 'hero' role either, since the disdain for such a gameplan is universal (it's not just anti-DeRozan sentiment). Case-in-point:

The lack of team-play last night was evident and the chucking was hugely inefficient. I don't care which 5 players are on the court, that approach will never be successful in a sustainable way, especially during a grinding 7-game playoff series.
    Ya I saw this coming.

Over using players offensively has been Casey's MO since his Minny days. I put the conduct of our guards on his shoulders...I doubt Lowry plays like that unless being told to.

Casey needs to learn to use his offenses more effectively and more evenly. A balanced attack is a winning attack. The adversity of losing DD is a great way for our team to grow up faster...but if Casey tries to play this team like this again we will lose a lot of games, and it wont be because we lost DD.

#FreeJV

Leave a comment:

• bryan colangelo
    replied
    Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Anyone else see this game as an anomaly (rather than an indicator of how this team plays without DeRozan)?

It's been said before, but even the 72-win Bulls lost to the 16-win Raptors. Sometimes shit happens.
    It was a perfect storm of Kobe gunning for 6000 assists, the Lakers being sad and desperate for a win, and the Raptors having to make a pretty big adjustment after losing a key offensive player.

I think the disappointing part of this game was how they lost. They really beat themselves out there. The Lakers did not play that well.

Leave a comment:

• white men can't jump
    replied
    Anyone else see this game as an anomaly (rather than an indicator of how this team plays without DeRozan)?

It's been said before, but even the 72-win Bulls lost to the 16-win Raptors. Sometimes shit happens.
    Speaking of anomaly, even when DD is healthy, we need Amir and Lowry to be the guys they usually are. They are probably our 2 most consistent players, and the guys we can trust the most to properly play to their role on any given night. Last night they both had awful outings. Not really surprised we lost at all, considering.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
    A grand total of 1 game has passed in which we saw Ross put up a highly efficient scoring night and JV not getting used on the offensive end like we would like to see.

So please, tell us how we are all wrong and should never think any different from you.

Give it time, when Casey smells the coffee and changes up our gameplan to inside to JV instead of asking Lowry to put up over 9000 shots we may see some meaningful results (good ot bad)

Leave a comment:

• OldSkoolCool
    replied
    GLF wrote: View Post
    All these theories people were throwing out there about the positives of Demar being out never came to fruition and I knew it wouldn't. DD is way too important to this team for us to look good without him. I'm shocked anyone would think differently. Maybe a few more losses will make you guys realize why Ross and JV don't get playing time down the stretch and why they don't get as many touches as you believe they should get. Ugh I hate this.
    A grand total of 1 game has passed in which we saw Ross put up a highly efficient scoring night and JV not getting used on the offensive end like we would like to see.

So please, tell us how we are all wrong and should never think any different from you.

Give it time, when Casey smells the coffee and changes up our gameplan to inside to JV instead of asking Lowry to put up over 9000 shots we may see some meaningful results (good ot bad)

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied

Yup i said basically this in this thread post game last night.

People have gotten waaay too high on this team if they think playing kobe Bryant at staples is a guaranteed win night.

Leave a comment:

• Nilanka
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MACK11
    replied
    MACK11 wrote: View Post
    A high scoring offense vs an atrocious defense.

Seems like a recipe for the raptors to score 120+
    Well we did score 120+ but we gave up 129 to the fucking Lakers smh

Leave a comment:

• consmap
    replied
    I had a dream that I checked the boxscore of the game and Amir was 1-10 from 3 pt land.

*shudders*

Leave a comment:

Working...
X