DeRozan Injury & Raptors Gameplan Without Him

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quest wrote: View Post
    Terrible time for us to lose our best offensive weapon. I'm not as thrilled as some for the opportunity to get a read on JV and Ross because they have already had trouble remaining consistent regardless. Perhaps the pressure pushes them over the edge and they suddenly start lighting it up? It will require great effort, slightly more than what they've been known for, but I very much hope that's the case and they will help carry the team through this.

For Demar's sake, I hope he has the best recovery possible and gets back to the court in a condition that enables him to compete at the level he is capable of performing at. I think there are still two or three levels of his game that we have yet to see and this set back may just motivate and push him over the edge too.

My best case is that the scare of losing a man secures the physical intensity and level of play that we need to truly contend. There is no replacing Demar but that's just tough for now. Something else will have to happen in the meantime. The demand is already there, sitting on top of the east as we are. All of a sudden we have a culture where it feels weird to lose which is absolutely amazing. Could you have imagined it? Even our 3 narrow losses this year were all quite winnable games for this team.
    Is anyone other than DeRozan injured?

Statistically speaking he is far from best offensive weapon.

No question he is leading FGA.

Hopefully those attempts get dispersed among much more efficient players.

Comment

• Alex Kennedy: DeMar DeRozan has a torn left adductor longus tendon. There is no timetable for his return at the moment. Huge loss for Toronto. For those asking about DeMar DeRozan's injury, this is the same thing that sidelined Danny Amendola with the Patriots last year. I believe Danny Amendola missed four weeks when he had this injury. But everyone is different, so we'll see how long DeMar DeRozan is out. Fortunately for Toronto, East is weaker than West, so a significant injury shouldn't affect their playoff positioning too much (unlike OKC). Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Alex Kennedy: Because DeRozan tore tendon, he shouldn't need surgery. Doctors often treat groin pain by snipping adductor longus, but his is already torn. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Steve Kyler: The adductor longus is a skeletal muscle located on the inside of the upper thigh - recovery from a tear can by up to 12 weeks. The unknown on DeRozan is the severity of the tear -- recovery could be as simple as several weeks - if surgery required much longer. Non-Surgical recovery tends to lean towards 6-7 weeks --- surgical repair tends to lean more towards 12 weeks. Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Shams Charania: Toronto star DeMar DeRozan will measure his return window as time progresses, with a re-evaluation planned next week, source tells RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania
      - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.DvwWe6Fz.dpuf

Comment

• Two months til we see COMP10 again, easily. He's gotta be fully recovered.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
          Alex Kennedy: DeMar DeRozan has a torn left adductor longus tendon. There is no timetable for his return at the moment. Huge loss for Toronto. For those asking about DeMar DeRozan's injury, this is the same thing that sidelined Danny Amendola with the Patriots last year. I believe Danny Amendola missed four weeks when he had this injury. But everyone is different, so we'll see how long DeMar DeRozan is out. Fortunately for Toronto, East is weaker than West, so a significant injury shouldn't affect their playoff positioning too much (unlike OKC). Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Alex Kennedy: Because DeRozan tore tendon, he shouldn't need surgery. Doctors often treat groin pain by snipping adductor longus, but his is already torn. Twitter @AlexKennedyNBA

Steve Kyler: The adductor longus is a skeletal muscle located on the inside of the upper thigh - recovery from a tear can by up to 12 weeks. The unknown on DeRozan is the severity of the tear -- recovery could be as simple as several weeks - if surgery required much longer. Non-Surgical recovery tends to lean towards 6-7 weeks --- surgical repair tends to lean more towards 12 weeks. Twitter @stevekylerNBA

Shams Charania: Toronto star DeMar DeRozan will measure his return window as time progresses, with a re-evaluation planned next week, source tells RealGM. Twitter @ShamsCharania
          - See more at: http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#sthash.DvwWe6Fz.dpuf
          12 weeks = 3 months. We'll see COMP10 again in March.

Comment

• DECEMBER

Tue, Dec 2
            @
            Sacramento
            10:00 PM NBATV
            Wed, Dec 3
            @
            Utah
            9:00 PM
            Fri, Dec 5
            vs
            Cleveland
            7:30 PM
            Mon, Dec 8
            vs
            Denver
            7:30 PM NBATV
            Tue, Dec 9
            @
            Cleveland
            7:00 PM
            Fri, Dec 12
            vs
            Indiana
            Sun, Dec 14
            @
            NY Knicks
            Mon, Dec 15
            vs
            Orlando
            Wed, Dec 17
            vs
            Brooklyn
            8:00 PM
            Fri, Dec 19
            @
            Detroit
            Sun, Dec 21
            vs
            NY Knicks
            3:30 PM
            Mon, Dec 22
            @
            Chicago
            Sat, Dec 27
            @
            Los Angeles
            Sun, Dec 28
            @
            Denver
            9:00 PM
            Tue, Dec 30
            @
            Portland
            10:00 PM

JANUARY

Fri, Jan 2
            @
            Golden State
            10:30 PM
            Sun, Jan 4
            @
            Phoenix
            Thu, Jan 8
            vs
            Charlotte
            Sat, Jan 10
            vs
            Boston
            Mon, Jan 12
            vs
            Detroit
            Wed, Jan 14
            vs
            Philadelphia
            Fri, Jan 16
            vs
            Atlanta
            Sun, Jan 18
            vs
            New Orleans
            Mon, Jan 19
            @
            Milwaukee
            Wed, Jan 21
            @
            Memphis
            Fri, Jan 23
            @
            Philadelphia
            Sun, Jan 25
            vs
            Detroit
            Tue, Jan 27
            @
            Indiana
            Wed, Jan 28
            vs
            Sacramento
            Fri, Jan 30
            @
            Brooklyn
            Sat, Jan 31
            @
            Washington

FEBRUARY

Mon, Feb 2
            vs
            Milwaukee
            Wed, Feb 4
            vs
            Brooklyn
            Fri, Feb 6
            vs
            Los Angeles
            Sun, Feb 8
            vs
            San Antonio
            7:00 PM NBATV
            Wed, Feb 11
            vs
            Washington
            Fri, Feb 20
            @
            Atlanta
            Sat, Feb 21
            @
            Houston
            Mon, Feb 23
            @
            New Orleans
            8:00 PM NBATV
            Tue, Feb 24
            @
            Dallas
            8:30 PM
            Fri, Feb 27
            vs
            Golden State
            Sat, Feb 28
            @
            NY Knicks

MARCH

Mon, Mar 2
            @
            Philadelphia
            Wed, Mar 4
            vs
            Cleveland
            Fri, Mar 6
            @
            Charlotte
            Sun, Mar 8
            @
            Oklahoma City
            Tue, Mar 10
            @
            San Antonio
            8:30 PM
            Fri, Mar 13
            vs
            Miami
            Sun, Mar 15
            vs
            Portland
            Mon, Mar 16
            @
            Indiana
            Wed, Mar 18
            vs
            Minnesota
            Fri, Mar 20
            @
            Chicago
            Sun, Mar 22
            vs
            NY Knicks
            4:00 PM
            Tue, Mar 24
            @
            Detroit
            Wed, Mar 25
            vs
            Chicago
            Fri, Mar 27
            vs
            Los Angeles
            Mon, Mar 30
            vs
            Houston
            7:30 PM NBATV

Comment

• It's kinda off-putting that many people here seem happy about this.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                Yeah that is too bad.

Silver lining: we see what Ross is all about.

As for starter: put fields or Bruno out for 4 minutes then get into regular rotation. Don't mess with it.

You don't even seem a little bit upset that he's injured.

Comment

• NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                  He should put a photo of himself crying in this thread? What should we do now? Move on, INJURIES happen and Raptors are lucky to have problems with them so rarely.
                  Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Just keep stirring the pot, go ahead.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                      Just keep stirring the pot, go ahead.
                      I'm not stirring the pot.

I've just never seen an injury thread where everyone is just talking about all the possible benefits of the team's top scorer being injured. I'm sure Pacers fans weren't sitting there thinking how great it was when Paul George's leg snapped in half.

Comment

I've just never seen an injury thread where everyone is just talking about all the possible benefits of the team's top scorer being injured. I'm sure Pacers fans weren't sitting there thinking how great it was when Paul George's leg snapped in half.
                        Those two injuries are not even close in terms of seriousness.
                        Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Nobody here is anything less than disappointed and empathetic for Demar.

But this is a sports team forum, the team still has to play the games, and we're speculating on how they'll approach them without him. And yes, there may in fact be some benefit to the team overall when Demar returns, if guys like JV and Ross get more comfortable in the offence.

If you aren't stirring the pot, then the fact that you're in here quoting people and telling them they "don't seem at all upset" is... what, exactly?

Comment

• Chico, maybe we are reading these posts from a different perspective, but I don't see anyone celebrating DD's injury. (and reports of him being out 4 weeks or less seem to be nothing more than "sources" repeating what DeRozan hops is true...I suspect 6-8 weeks or more is more accurate)

What I see are readers acknowledging the injury and then identifying potential outcomes that could take some of the bad edge off of what is a bad break for the Raptors. There is no doubt that +30 minutes of playing time will now have to be spread around. Frequently players step up when given an opportunity. If any player steps up, or if more than one player steps up, that will definitely be better for the Raps when DeRozan gets back and could be a big help to them in the playoffs. There is nothing wrong with holding onto that thought to try and counter the real feelings of loss that all of us felt when news of how long DeRozan would be out were published.

Just my perspective.

Comment

• If Lowry got injured, would we be talking about all the benefits of it? I don't think so.

That's where my issues lie.

Comment

Will crying make him heal faster?

If you want to start a raptor fan sympathy thread where you can only wallow in self pity and discuss how vitally important to the team DeRozan is, go right ahead, I won't post - trust me. But it won't make DeRozan come back sooner.

I prefer to discuss the positives of the situation of which there are a few:
                                1. Finally see what Ross is all about. Hopefully he raises his value around the league.
                                2. Hopefully see more less ISO in the offense.
                                3. Hopefully see guys step up like GV, JJ, and JV.
                                4. Hopefully see more on and off ball movement.
                                5. Hopefully the importance of team play and execution becomes apparent to DeRozan as he watches.

Comment

Working...
                                X