Kyle Lowry and the Raps' come from behind offence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyle Lowry and the Raps' come from behind offence

Let's look at Kyle Lowry for a second. Specifically, let's notice how he changes his game when the team is behind. It's going to take a bit for me to set up the point, so bear with me.

All of the stats I'm citing are from Basketball Reference.

As of today, the Raps have attempted 796 field goals while leading, 652 while behind and 73 while tied. Similarly, they've attempted 304 free throws while leading, 194 while behind and 25 while tied.

If I count each free throw attempt as equaling .44 a field goal attempt (this is how TS% is calculated) I see that the Raps take 53% of their True Shooting Attempts while leading and 46.9% while tied or behind.

Considering the Raps are one of the top teams by margin of victory this year, these numbers make sense. A team that's ahead a lot will necessarily take more scoring attempts while leading.

This is useful, because I can use these numbers as a benchmark for the Raps' offence. If 46.9% of the Raps' True Shooting Attempts happen while behind or tied, we can expect that individual Raptors shooting numbers should follow the same pattern.

And they do, with one major exception.

Player | % of TSA ahead | % of TSA behind or tied
    DD | .53 | .47
    AJ | .51 | .49
    JJ | .54 | .46
    KL | .44 | .56
    PP | .53 | .47
    TR | .52 | .48
    JV | .53 | .47
    GV | .57 | .43
    LW | .61 | .39

All of the Raptors shoot roughly in line with the teams' ahead and behind pattern, except one. Kyle Lowry. Kyle Lowry shoots way more if the team is behind than he does if the team is ahead. Indeed, that pattern is even more clear if we look at the team's shooting patterns minus Kyle's numbers. The rest of the team took just 45% of its shots while behind of trailing. Kyle took 56% of his in the same situation.

To my eyes, this matches what I've been seeing out of Kyle for a while now. When the game is in the balance, he tends to call his own number.

Indeed, when we look at the rest of his offence through the same lens we see the same pattern. Kyle is less likely to record an assist when the team is trailing or tied. 42% of Kyle's assists came while trailing or tied compared to 45% for the rest of the team. He's also slightly more likely to shoot a 3 while trailing. 49% of Kyle's 3pt attempts came trailing or tied compared to 46% for the rest of the team. (He's also more likely to commit a turnover, but that's getting into a serious small sample size.)

The conclusion is this: Kyle's offence changes dramatically when the team is trailing. Simply, he becomes much more likely to look for his own shot, and less likely to set up his teammates.

Is this a good thing? I don't know. The Raps have had some furious comebacks this year. Do we attribute that to Kyle's tendency to take over the offence while down? Maybe. After all, even though he's calling his own number more his true shooting percentage actually goes up slightly when the team is tied or trailing.

But, then the team has also performed well with leads -- they have that famous fourth quarter streak, remember? Could that success be a function of Kyle running the offence selflessly while the team is ahead? You may have noticed earlier the team gets to the line better while leading, could that be a function of Kyle's tendency get the rest of the team involved while ahead?

My pet theory explaining this is that Kyle doesn't really trust his teammates' offence. It feels like he's most comfortable running plays when the team is rolling. With the game on the line, he relies on his own drives or turns to DD as a safety blanket. Looking forward, I expect we'll see Kyle call his own number even more with DD out, especially in come back situations.

Who knows if I'm right. But, I'm going to start thinking of Kyle as two players. Ahead Kyle and Behind Kyle, 'cause the numbers show they're very different people.
    @EdTubb - edwardtubb at gmail

Interesting.... I'm curious to see what these numbers look like for the best player on every team in the league.

Comment

he gets it into the paint when they are behind, its what is recommended, I support Kyle Lowry.

you cannot compare his ridiculous and selfish heroball BS from his first year to now, he's grown up X1000 and I like how he plays. get his guys going, takes few shots, but when its go time, he's a finisher..... in the paint where the foul call becomes an essential part of the game.

Basketball 101 really

Comment

Very interesting. Good work on this.

I agree it would be interesting to see if there are other teams that exhibit similar patterns.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That said, I think I disagree with your conclusion. Lowry scores more when his team needs him to. Simple as that. He's a star.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
            Interesting.... I'm curious to see what these numbers look like for the best player on every team in the league.
            OK. Good question. We're looking at the difference between the player's percentage of True Shooting Attempts taken while behind or tied vs. the team as a whole's rate on the same stat.

For Kyle, that difference is 9.05 percentage points. On the stat I'm making up here, we'll say he's +9.05. Lets call this stat Relative True Shooting Attempt Rate (Behind or Tied). Please come up with a better name. A positive number means a player is more likely to shoot while trailing or tied, a negative number means the opposite. Here are a bunch of star players we can compare Kyle to:

Player | rTSAr (B+T)
            John Wall | -3.03
            James Harden | -2.93
            Anthony Davis | -2.20
            Chris Paul | -1.65
            Steph Curry | 0.02
            Klay Thompson | 0.47
            Damian Lillard | 1.44
            Lebron James | 1.98
            Demar DeRozan | 2.46
            Chris Bosh | 2.98
            Dirk Nowitski | 6.95
            LeMarcus Aldridge | 7.14
            Kyrie Irving | 7.57
            Kobe Bryant | 8.99
            Kyle Lowry | 9.05

Some notes.
            1. There's no real rhyme to why I chose these particular players, this is just a first pass.
            2. Ideally, I'd want to compare the players' shooting rates to the rest of the team with their stats excluded, I didn't do that here.
            3. It seems like star players might in general take on a greater load when playing behind, but it's too early to tell if there's a real relationship.
            4. I didn't include a few notables due to injuries. DMC, Durant, Westbrook and Dwight have missed so many games that they're absence has affected the their teams' +/- numbers. I can't rightly include DMC's numbers when his team was decent with him playing but behind a ton with him out of the lineup.

Comment

I agree with your theory that he doesn't trust his team mates. In the Lakers game in particular, he tried to do everything on offense and defense. Even when they are winning though this is still the case. Last night, he went iso in the last four possessions of the game, when they were still up. I could see this hurting when the Raps play good teams, as they will know to defend him well, with multiple defenders.

Comment

Superjudge wrote: View Post
                he gets it into the paint when they are behind, its what is recommended, I support Kyle Lowry.

you cannot compare his ridiculous and selfish heroball BS from his first year to now, he's grown up X1000 and I like how he plays. get his guys going, takes few shots, but when its go time, he's a finisher..... in the paint where the foul call becomes an essential part of the game.

Basketball 101 really
                And Basketball 201 is that when you know what's coming, it's pretty easy to defend. Lowry / Casey needs to mix it up more and get other players involved. It's might be OK in the regular season when teams don't have time to prepare, and the defensive intensity is much lower and frankly some players don't give a shit. But it doesn't work in the playoffs, when you are constantly making adjustments. Even Lebron and Wade had to largely abandon hero/ISO ball for spacing and ball movement.

Comment

If you are saying he takes more 3s, and using that as evidence that his offense changes dramatically, then I think those 3s may be inflated due to needing to take last-second shots due to bad offense (who was having a bad night), or may be taking 3 3's in the last 30 seconds when behind 8.

But great post!
                  The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

TeamEd wrote: View Post
                    OK. Good question. We're looking at the difference between the player's percentage of True Shooting Attempts taken while behind or tied vs. the team as a whole's rate on the same stat.

For Kyle, that difference is 9.05 percentage points. On the stat I'm making up here, we'll say he's +9.05. Lets call this stat Relative True Shooting Attempt Rate (Behind or Tied). Please come up with a better name. A positive number means a player is more likely to shoot while trailing or tied, a negative number means the opposite. Here are a bunch of star players we can compare Kyle to:

Player | rTSAr (B+T)
                    John Wall | -3.03
                    James Harden | -2.93
                    Anthony Davis | -2.20
                    Chris Paul | -1.65
                    Steph Curry | 0.02
                    Klay Thompson | 0.47
                    Damian Lillard | 1.44
                    Lebron James | 1.98
                    Demar DeRozan | 2.46
                    Chris Bosh | 2.98
                    Dirk Nowitski | 6.95
                    LeMarcus Aldridge | 7.14
                    Kyrie Irving | 7.57
                    Kobe Bryant | 8.99
                    Kyle Lowry | 9.05

Some notes.
                    1. There's no real rhyme to why I chose these particular players, this is just a first pass.
                    2. Ideally, I'd want to compare the players' shooting rates to the rest of the team with their stats excluded, I didn't do that here.
                    3. It seems like star players might in general take on a greater load when playing behind, but it's too early to tell if there's a real relationship.
                    4. I didn't include a few notables due to injuries. DMC, Durant, Westbrook and Dwight have missed so many games that they're absence has affected the their teams' +/- numbers. I can't rightly include DMC's numbers when his team was decent with him playing but behind a ton with him out of the lineup.
                    This is almost kind of like a clutch gene stat. Not so much for ability to be clutch but for desire to take important shots.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                      If you are saying he takes more 3s, and using that as evidence that his offense changes dramatically, then I think those 3s may be inflated due to needing to take last-second shots due to bad offense (who was having a bad night), or may be taking 3 3's in the last 30 seconds when behind 8.

But great post!
                      The 3s are a separate but kinda related thing. He does take a few more 3s when the team is down, but that's not the key point. His total shot attempts of any kind go up dramatically when the team is down. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or anything, just making the point that Behind Kyle runs the offence a lot differently than Ahead Kyle.

Comment

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
                        This is almost kind of like a clutch gene stat. Not so much for ability to be clutch but for desire to take important shots.
                        Yeah. It's interesting to me that some guys we might think of as high usage players don't seem to change their game the same way Kyle does. Look at Harden and Wall, for instance. You'd figure high usage wings like them would look to their own offense to spark a comeback, but it doesn't look that way. CP3 seems to prefer to stick to the gameplan when behind. Steph and Klay are the same. You can see why Kyrie might be a frustrating guy to have as you PG if his reaction to being behind is look for his own.
                        But, nobody else I've found has the same mindset as Kyle when behind.
                        / Keep in mind, this is just as of one month into the season. I should run the same numbers for the last few seasons to see if I can find a pattern here.
                        // "Clutch Gene" is getting there for a better name for this stat.

Comment

TeamEd wrote: View Post
                          The 3s are a separate but kinda related thing. He does take a few more 3s when the team is down, but that's not the key point. His total shot attempts of any kind go up dramatically when the team is down. I'm not saying it's a bad thing or anything, just making the point that Behind Kyle runs the offence a lot differently than Ahead Kyle.
                          I agree with the looking out for his own, he will attempt to put the team on his back. Its what he does, and he is pretty good at it too. But I think he does so within his own game, he picks up the intensity, but not necessarily changes his offence.
                          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

The fact that your analysis raises more questions than answers doesn't undermine the fact that it's great work. Kudos.

I don't think all baskets are equal. Although I'm not sure how (or even if) it's possible to unpack, but I their are players who are able to pick their offensive spots. They might not be the teams best offensive player, but 8 of the 12 points they scored were during times where you felt like the momentum was about to shift to other teams. One player, off the top of my head for fits this bill is David West. In the playoffs it seems like 50% of the baskets he scored where ones when Indiana's offensive momentum was wavering.

Personally, I'm happy with this data. To me it shows the following: Kyle tries to get his teammates involved, and if enough guys are firing, then he can relax and pick his spots, because chances are we're ahead. If we are behind in the game there's a good chance that Derozan or the bench unit as a whole are cold. If this is the case Kyle's going to take more shorts and try to get himself going.

Outside of the Laker game (the first one without Demar, and an adjustment game). I've felt Lowry has had a great sense of when the team needed him to score.

I do think that Lowry trusts his teammates, but if their shots are falling, he'll try to get himself going in order to keep the team afloat until other people's shots start falling. Once the other guys are in rhythm again he's happy to be more of a facilitator.

If you wanted to break down the stat objectively, I think you'd also want to look at how many shots he's taking at the end of the shot clock, and does he take more shots at the end of the shot clock when they raps are behind/tied/ahead.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lowry ends up being the bail out guy if other guys don't have the confidence going in a particular game.
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I wouldn't go as far as saying "he doesn't trust his teammates". That makes him sound selfish.

Instead, I'd phrase it, "he wants the responsibility of making the right decisions, when it matters most", which is exactly what you want from your best player. So far, he's done a pretty good job of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X