Is Lowry a superstar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

planetmars wrote: View Post
    Superstar is subjective.. my definition would probably be a top 5 player in the game. Lowry is in the MVP chatter so he qualifies. If he ends up in the top 5 by the end of the year, he's a superstar. At least in my opinion.
    I was just about to ask something like this.

Based off of ability, importance, and impact to the team (that is dominating the east) I would say he's made it into a top 5 player this year. And that in my books makes him a superstar.

He may not draw the spotlight like big names such as kobe and lebron, but until Lowry does what he does for another 2-3 years he won't be that kind of superstar. But I think the fact of the matter is that his impact on the court is 100% worthy of the title.

Comment

Superstar brings up the off-court stuff for me, in addition to at least All-Star level on-court talent. The guys who sell the most jerseys, lead All-Star voting, sign massive endorsement deals, and draw thousands of extra fans on road games are Superstars. They're the guys who get calls for talk shows, show up in movies/media, and are easily recognized by non-basketball fans.

Just my take.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        I'm going with "Deity"
        It probably changes to "please don't neglect your family/real life responsibilities"
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Lowry is killing it right now. It would be great if everyone in the ACC chanted "Lowry Bomaye" (kill him) every time he's on fire in the clutch

Last edited by james vincent; Thu Dec 4, 2014, 04:17 PM. Reason: add something extra

Comment

He's an all-star. But I wouldn't consider him a superstar. He's not on the level of the Lebron, KD, Melo, Kobe, Duncan, etc. These guys have been doing their thing consistently for many years. And they have the trophies/all-star participations, to back it up.

Lowry, on the other hand is a late bloomer. Not because he doesn't have skill, but cuz he finally found a home. He's like Chauncey Billups, who was a nobody before he finally came to Detroit. Or maybe even Steve Nash who finally found his identity in Phoenix, being the man on that team, and led to 2 MVP trophies.

He may not be a superstar, but he's this team's best player. Not all winning teams have "superstars" = 2004 Pistons, 2014 Spurs (Duncan was a superstar, but he's past his prime; Parker and Ginobili are stars, but they're not superstars).

Comment

His play on BOTH ends is superb. Lowry's career thus far has been baffling. Seriously.

Superstar? Kinda? Almost.

Kyle Lowry THA GAWD? Yes.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

2KJ wrote: View Post
                ...Or maybe even Steve Nash who finally found his identity in Phoenix, being the man on that team, and led to 2 MVP trophies....
                Here we go. Steve Nash, two MVP trophies. Hall of Fame shoo in. Anyone ever call him a super star?

Comment

To me, a superstar is a scheme-buster — a player that is basically unguardable. It's a player a coach has to create special strategies for, and even then, the player is so effective they find ways succeed anyways.

Stephen Curry is a superstar, because he can shoot from almost anywhere on the floor, with either hand, in a variety of ways (scoops shots, floaters, etc.)

Kevin Durant and Dirk are superstars, because their height and length allows them to get an open, unblockable shot, almost anytime, against almost any defender.

Lebron and Unibrow are superstars, because they have size, speed and athleticism combined with guard skills, that allow them to defend multiple defenders and basically do anything they want on the court.

Lowry is 'just' a really, really, really good player.
                  Last edited by bryan colangelo; Thu Dec 4, 2014, 07:41 PM.

Comment

To me Nash is a superstar, in the sense he could get the ball anywhere on the court, almost anytime he wanted.

Nash and Curry are examples of guys that developed such well-honed, unstoppable skills they turned themselves into superstars.

Comment

I guess I meant "superstar" in terms of on court impact.

Comment

1) regular season superstar production - yes
                        2) regular season superstar leadership - yes
                        3) championships/playoff wins - lol
                        4) superstar media status - no
                        5) true superstar status - tbd depending on 3 and 4

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                          Superstar,I'm No. Good player,Yes,don't get me wrong,but Superstar are players who win championships.
                          Tim Duncan..Superstar
                          Lebron James..Superstar
                          Dwayne Wade..Superstar
                          Dirk Nowitski..Superstar
                          Kyle Lowry..All Star.
                          Except for LBJ most of these guys are on the downslope

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                            Except for LBJ most of these guys are on the downslope
                            His definition that you need a championship kind of sucks. Anthony Davis, superstar. Kevin Durant, superstar. You could also stretch it to derek rose, Steph curry even Dwight Howard and james harden. The term is so subjective but ringzzzzz are definitely not the prerequisite.
                            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

He is not a superstar and because he's been in the league for so long already I don't think he will ever be considered one even if he keeps putting up the numbers like he is now. The only way he'll ever be considered a superstar is if he keeps playing the way he has been and the Raptors win a championship. Even then...
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

As of right now he is the best point guard in the East and he should be starting in the All Star game.
                                You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Working...
                                X