Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dec 22 6 game road trip--when we find out what this team is made of.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NaijaBoy17 wrote: View Post
    @CHI - L
    @ LAC - L
    @ DEN - Maybe W (their HC advantage is kinda gone since they don't really run anymore)
    @ POR - L
    @ GSW - L
    @ PHX - L

I'm predicting 1-5 in that stretch.

Might as well predict the games between now and then also:

vs. DEN - W
    @ CLE - L
    vs. IND- W
    @ NYK - L
    vs. ORL - W
    vs. BKN - L
    @ DET - W
    vs. NYK - W
    (5-3)

So that totals to 6-8 over our next 14. We'd be 21-13 which puts us on pace for ~51 wins, which is more in line with where I see us finishing this year. This fools gold of being damn near a ~80% win percentage will be ending soon.
    1-5 on road trip is certainly not far fetched. I have more faith this year than in previous years but that Laker game and last Friday's disaster vs Cavs makes me wonder? Are these guys going to get it done and come out every single night ready for a dog fight or not? Or are they going to look passive in first quarter and make their opponent look real good ?

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
      2-4.

Doesn't matter how many we win though. We are not serious contenders.
      Define serious...

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
        Define serious...
        The reason I ask is I think we are contenders in east depending on first round match ups---but certainly not at same level as Spurs Grizz LAC CHI .

Comment

The reason I ask is I think we are contenders in east depending on first round match ups---but certainly not at same level as Spurs Grizz LAC CHI .
          I'm just picturing how the raps would actually fair as a western conference team and that picture ain't pretty!

I think our great record so far isn't actually indicative of the actual quality of the team. It just seems we rely on players needing to go off rather than actual good offensive play. We're definitely way too ISO-heavy which is pretty much the first sign of a potential bad playoff performance.

Who knows. Maybe Caseys saving up some goodies for the post season.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
            I'm just picturing how the raps would actually fair as a western conference team and that picture ain't pretty!

I think our great record so far isn't actually indicative of the actual quality of the team. It just seems we rely on players needing to go off rather than actual good offensive play. We're definitely way too ISO-heavy which is pretty much the first sign of a potential bad playoff performance.

Who knows. Maybe Caseys saving up some goodies for the post season.
            I agree re ISO. I think matchups are everything. Right now I would love to play Milwaukee in the first round. Perhaps Atlanta in the second round then Chicago in conference finals. If we finish with third or fourth seed which I what I expect the second round will likely do us in. Against Chicago or Cleveland we will not get those borderline calls. Against Washington or Atlanta we might. Still early but I see us being brutalized on 6 game road trip then recovering with long honest and in January.

Comment

Home stand not honest.

Comment

We'll go 3-3 or 4-2...
                Axel wrote:
                Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                KeonClark wrote:
                We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                KeonClark wrote:
                I can't wait until the playoffs start.

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

Cody73 wrote: View Post
                  We'll go 3-3 or 4-2...
                  1-5 or 0-6 possibly 2-4 at best. Things keep looking worse. DD probably still out until January.

Comment

1-5 or 0-6 possibly 2-4 at best. Things keep looking worse. DD probably still out until January.
                    I think Ujiri is going to make a trade. I don't know who is getting dealt, but I feel we are probably getting either a 3 or 4 back that can rebound and put up points consistently.
                    Axel wrote:
                    Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
                    KeonClark wrote:
                    We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
                    KeonClark wrote:

Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

Comment

I think Ujiri is going to make a trade. I don't know who is getting dealt, but I feel we are probably getting either a 3 or 4 back that can rebound and put up points consistently.
                      This becomes even more likely if DeRozan experiences any delays in his recovery.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                        This becomes even more likely if DeRozan experiences any delays in his recovery.
                        I personally hope Ross is dealt.... the more I watch this season, the more I feel that him and Casey are clashing with another. It may not be talked about, but there is some issues there....
                        Axel wrote:
                        KeonClark wrote:
                        KeonClark wrote:

Comment

I personally hope Ross is dealt.... the more I watch this season, the more I feel that him and Casey are clashing with another. It may not be talked about, but there is some issues there....
                          If that were the case, you would get rid of Casey before Ross.

Why? Because Ross is becoming a very good, efficient, solid defense wing. Those are actually pretty rare and you dont trade them unless they are a nutjob, which Ross isnt. You break down the list of wing players that provide what Ross does for this team and you are looking at Klay, Wes, Korver and Beal. Ross is a tier below them atm but is improving. Those a very impactful players.

Mid-level coaches are replaceable however.

Comment

I don't believe Casey is a mid-level coach. Before DeRozan went down, he had the team clicking on offense with everyone getting the proper shots that suits their skillset the best. Since DeRozan went down, we are down to one true shot creator on offense (maybe 2 with JV, but JV has other restrictions) and teams can kind of buckle down on Lowry.

On defense, the team just isn't that skilled. Casey has players committed enough to rotations and awareness that he can make a passable defense out of pretty much entirely mediocre defensive players (Amir is great when healthy. He's clearly not healthy.)

Saying Casey is mid-tier because he doesn't give JV enough touches is missing the forest for the veins on the leaves. He can definitely improve some aspects of how he coaches, but it's not like the team is underperforming their talent level. I'd say they are still over performing. That's from a combination of motivation and being slotted into the proper offensive roles.

I think it's ridiculous how much complaining about the offense is going on. The Raptors are still 2nd in the league in ORTG. Second! You think another coach is going to come in here and improve that? Sure, they may improve some things, but guess what, new flaws will show up. Because there are always flaws. If you continue to dwell on them you are never going to be happy as a fan. People are saying "you can't play offense like this in the playoffs", but I've seen all of zero quantitative evidence to support this. Good offensive teams are good offensive teams. You are treating the Raptors like it's a one-dimensional offense that's easy to stop. If that were true, teams would be stopping it now, now waiting until the playoffs. And it hasn't been happening. There's been bad stretches, but there always are for every team.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of the "fire the coach, trade Ross, trade JV, PANIC PANIC PANIC" going on. They won't have DD for this road trip. They might go 2-4 or even worse. And that will be OK, because it is a really tough road trip with no games where they are going to be favoured. The Denver game, they are on a SEGABABA and Denver isn't.

This is a good team. It's a top 3 team in the conference with DeMar. It probably wins that game last night with DeMar. They are going to be in the mix to get to the finals. Let's enjoy this, and appreciate all the pieces that have worked on this team that hasn't had any of these star players fall into their lap like a LeBron or a Durant. Everybody from the GM on down to the coach down to the players have been at peak performance to get this team to this point. They are going to lose some games. Some probably badly. They are still a good team.

I know we want them to be this great, unstoppable juggernaut but they don't have the pieces yet. And maybe JV or Ross is that last piece and that's why it's frustrating when they seemingly don't get the usage to make that next step. But you can't forget this team isn't one step away without the work Casey's done.

I'm not saying you can't complain. That's every bit your right. I'm just asking for some perspective, because I feel like this board has been sorely lacking it lately. (Once again, a reminder: the team is the second best offensive team in the NBA).
                            That is a normal collar. Move on, find a new slant.

Comment

^so if you think Casey is better than a mid-level coach then he must be a high level coach.

Pop
                              Thibs
                              Spo
                              Carlisle
                              **Kerr?? <---obviously to early to tell, but GS is smokin hot
                              Running out of names...Hornachek? SVG?

See what high-level coaches look like?

Hell, Casey got clearly out-coached by Jason Kidd. Mid-level is perfectly where he should be

Comment

Other Scott wrote: View Post
                                I don't believe Casey is a mid-level coach. Before DeRozan went down, he had the team clicking on offense with everyone getting the proper shots that suits their skillset the best. Since DeRozan went down, we are down to one true shot creator on offense (maybe 2 with JV, but JV has other restrictions) and teams can kind of buckle down on Lowry.

On defense, the team just isn't that skilled. Casey has players committed enough to rotations and awareness that he can make a passable defense out of pretty much entirely mediocre defensive players (Amir is great when healthy. He's clearly not healthy.)

Saying Casey is mid-tier because he doesn't give JV enough touches is missing the forest for the veins on the leaves. He can definitely improve some aspects of how he coaches, but it's not like the team is underperforming their talent level. I'd say they are still over performing. That's from a combination of motivation and being slotted into the proper offensive roles.

I think it's ridiculous how much complaining about the offense is going on. The Raptors are still 2nd in the league in ORTG. Second! You think another coach is going to come in here and improve that? Sure, they may improve some things, but guess what, new flaws will show up. Because there are always flaws. If you continue to dwell on them you are never going to be happy as a fan. People are saying "you can't play offense like this in the playoffs", but I've seen all of zero quantitative evidence to support this. Good offensive teams are good offensive teams. You are treating the Raptors like it's a one-dimensional offense that's easy to stop. If that were true, teams would be stopping it now, now waiting until the playoffs. And it hasn't been happening. There's been bad stretches, but there always are for every team.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm tired of the "fire the coach, trade Ross, trade JV, PANIC PANIC PANIC" going on. They won't have DD for this road trip. They might go 2-4 or even worse. And that will be OK, because it is a really tough road trip with no games where they are going to be favoured. The Denver game, they are on a SEGABABA and Denver isn't.

This is a good team. It's a top 3 team in the conference with DeMar. It probably wins that game last night with DeMar. They are going to be in the mix to get to the finals. Let's enjoy this, and appreciate all the pieces that have worked on this team that hasn't had any of these star players fall into their lap like a LeBron or a Durant. Everybody from the GM on down to the coach down to the players have been at peak performance to get this team to this point. They are going to lose some games. Some probably badly. They are still a good team.

I know we want them to be this great, unstoppable juggernaut but they don't have the pieces yet. And maybe JV or Ross is that last piece and that's why it's frustrating when they seemingly don't get the usage to make that next step. But you can't forget this team isn't one step away without the work Casey's done.

I'm not saying you can't complain. That's every bit your right. I'm just asking for some perspective, because I feel like this board has been sorely lacking it lately. (Once again, a reminder: the team is the second best offensive team in the NBA).
                                Most of us are frustrated with the offense when the game is close in the 4th not the other 3 quarters.

Whenever we face adversity we resort to hero ball a lot which isn't gonna get it done just like in the playoffs last season.

Also our plays out of timeouts are atrocious, just think back to the Denver game. We called a timeout with 4 seconds left and the best play we got was a step back 30 footer from Kyle?

Lou Williams iso's at the end of every single quarter?

Nobody passing to the bigs when they roll to the rim and are in position to score?

In the last couple of games Lou, Lowry, Ross, Vazquez are a combined 8-28 in clutch situations but the bigs are 4-7. How can we continually shoot from the perimeter when we're missing everything?
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X