Everything Thad Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KeonClark wrote: View Post

Wouldn't count on it. Looks like team building philosophy is continue building the bench to supplement the big 5, who aren't losing their spot unless a star becomes available

Looks like they really, really like the chemistry of this starting 5.

But one potential issue with building around this particular core 5 would be Scottie bulking up too much to bang with centers, to the point where he loses quickness and athleticism. Just watching the game last night... Barnes is looking huge out there. Either he's still growing, lifting weights, eating tons of food or all of the above.

Comment

DanH wrote: View Post

Yeah, or start Birch, or something. Having 4 PF/C's come off the bench is wacky and fun and hilarious but maybe not the best way to spread the minutes around.
      I think the ship might have sailed on Birch.. . hard to mix things up when the small ball 5 has won 8 straight. Actually feel like Birch is the one who is going to end up on the outs of the rotation
      To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

LJ2 wrote: View Post

KD and Embiid are the only guys in the East we don't have an answer for, but Nurse has time to come up with something.
        If fairness, no one has an answer for KD, other than maybe team/locker room drama. Nets nipped that in the bud by moving Harden, so they look stronger. That said, apparently no teams in nba history have lost 7 straights reg season games and won a title. They have now lost 10 in a row. Not sure if the Simmons-Harden trade is enough to make them break that.

For Embiid the answer (besides pre-wash gasol) is doubling him, so he gets 20 instead of 40, rebound by committee and have other people beat you. Somewhat work before cuz Simmons doesn't shoot, but they have Harden now. That combo makes them favourite in East imo, iff they stay healthy and manage to gel in time.

Comment

bertarapsfan wrote: View Post

I think the ship might have sailed on Birch.. . hard to mix things up when the small ball 5 has won 8 straight. Actually feel like Birch is the one who is going to end up on the outs of the rotation
          Yeah I agree. It might be an injury recovery/mask thing, but he looked slow as molassess out there (he's noticeably slower compared to how fast our forwards are), had quite a few blown defensive possessions, has had a hard time switching onto quicker guards. Offensively he's the only one that doesn't shoot from distance so the fit/flow looks a bit awkward, he had two out of the team's 139 points last night in 16 min. I like him as a player overall though, just looks a ton of work for him to do there if he was to move up on the rotation, especially now with Young.
          Last edited by inthepaint; Fri Feb 11, 2022, 05:07 PM.

Comment

inthepaint wrote: View Post

Yeah I agree. It might be a an injury recovery/mask thing, but he looked slow as molassess out there (he's noticeably slower compared to how fast our forwards are), had quite a few blown defensive possessions, has had a hard time switching onto quicker guards. Offensively he's the only one that doesn't shoot from distance so the fit/flow looks a bit awkward, he had two out of the team's 139 points last night in 16 min. I like him as player overall though, just looks a ton for him to do there if he was to move up on the rotation, especially now with Young.
            Yea also worry about him in the pick and roll. He is very JV esq in the sense that he gets lost in no man lands just dropping in coverage. Not defending the ball handler and leaving the big for passes. It's something that would get expioted all the time in the playoffs
            To be the champs you got to beat the champs

Comment

Yea also worry about him in the pick and roll. He is very JV esq in the sense that he gets lost in no man lands just dropping in coverage. Not defending the ball handler and leaving the big for passes. It's something that would get expioted all the time in the playoffs
              He didn't look like this earlier in the year, I think he will be fine. In fact I remember thinking "wow for a big mean he's very mobile on the perimeter". He's no JV.
              Maybe just a bit out of game shape and afraid of getting smashed in the face a bot.

Comment

Dvdvideo wrote: View Post

He didn't look like this earlier in the year, I think he will be fine. In fact I remember thinking "wow for a big mean he's very mobile on the perimeter". He's no JV.
                Maybe just a bit out of game shape and afraid of getting smashed in the face a bot.
                That's probably more what it is. Khem Birch is a tweener at the best of times, but his injuries have him behind and out of rhythm.. he'll be just fine and what he always is: a reliable warm bodied backup big
                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Birch may well end up outside the rotation. Which is too bad (he's good), but I can see why. It's just... a weird use of the resources we do have.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Birch may well end up outside the rotation. Which is too bad (he's good), but I can see why. It's just... a weird use of the resources we do have.
                    Birch is probably better than Achiuwa all things considered but there's long term considerations with Precious as well, though, I could see Birch moving ahead of Precious and Boucher in a playoff rotation cause of boneheaded mistakes and Nurse going with a more reliable hand. For that reason alone, I think Birch keeps playing even in limited minutes.

Comment

You are now so gullible Mr. Hackett

Comment

Thad Young in theory becomes one of the best screeners and pick and rollers/poppers on the team. If he surpasses Birch in minutes so be it. Thus far outside of the start of the season Birch has largely been bad enough to be an extra on weekend at bernies.

He (Birch) brings a skillset where he is decent at a bunch of things. His passing out of the short roll was much better than precious, and his overall screening and decision-making were solid. He has not been "good" this year. He brings a skill set that precious doesn't possess. He has been slowed down by covid. More concerning is the consistent knee swelling issues.

Young is a better birch who can score inside the 3 point arc and potentially spread the floor at a level that will have him be respected. He should shoot better than Boucher on the 3. Young's passing is much needed on that second unit. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised.

My guess for the future is he makes Birch obsolete and Birch will return to form and get traded in the off-season packaged up as salary for something else. Thad can play center and did last year for the bulls. Young is more mobile, smart, and he will be a solid vet leader, unlike Dragic.

Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Sat Feb 12, 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

If Young brings effort, the one thing that goes away as your age.... he will blow the entire bench out of the water. Young is a high-level NBA player, but he's past his best, you won't get his best, but you will get a high IQ, effective NBA player that knows what to do and when. You take that, every day of the week. Like it or not, Toronto used to have a great bench, now they are all starters, the new Bench is pretty bad, Young is a huge improvement, and he was what we could get while remaining responsible.

I absolutely love Raptor management, these guys are sharp AF.

Comment

I was watching some clips and got some Gasol vibes from his facilitating. I think he is going to open up some high percentage shots for guys. This is a good mentor for Scottie and OG….maybe that’s one of the reasons they brought him in.

The media are getting carried away with how big he is. He measured 6’ 5 3/4” without shoes at the combine and has a 6’ 113/4” wing span. I’ve heard some 6’9” over 7’-0” wingspan comments out there (not here). The guy is built like a brick shit house though, and probably has max Dad strength like Chuck Hayes.

Lastly, I’ve looked at his 3 point shooting… in the past he been passable from the left corner, 37% over the last 5 seasons. He’s not good from the right for some reason (below 30%). Above the break threes, he’s shooting around 34% over the last 5 seasons. I excluded this season because he’s taken 5 shots.

I’m pumped for his debut tonight but keeping expectations low. Hopefully Fred is out there.
                            Last edited by saints91; Sat Feb 12, 2022, 11:00 AM.

Comment

saints91 wrote: View Post
                              I was watching some clips and got some Gasol vibes from his facilitating. I think he is going to open up some high percentage shots for guys. This is a good mentor for Scottie and OG….maybe that’s one of the reasons they brought him in.

The media are getting carried away with how big he is. He measured 6’ 5 3/4” without shoes at the combine and has a 6’ 113/4” wing span. I’ve heard some 6’9” over 7’-0” wingspan comments out there (not here). The guy is built like a brick shit house though, and probably has max Dad strength like Chuck Hayes.

Lastly, I’ve looked at his 3 point shooting… in the past he been passable from the left corner, 37% over the last 5 seasons. He’s not good from the right for some reason (below 30%). Above the break threes, he’s shooting around 34% over the last 5 seasons. I excluded this season because he’s taken 5 shots.

I’m pumped for his debut tonight but keeping expectations low. Hopefully Fred is out there.
                              I think sometimes the percentage change on location of shot is more reflective of defensive pressure than the players shooting ability. What this Stat tells me is he will hit "very" open 3's.

Comment

I'm pleased we got Thad. We really needed to get someone that can Crack the rotation for Dragic, hopefully Thad can be that guy. He's been solid his whole career, hopefully he does well here. He has the tools, excited to see him play.

Comment

Working...
                                X