Everything Thad Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I don't think Koloko would have been their pick at 20 either, but no way to prove that.

What's interesting is that Koloko went pretty much exactly where most draft boards had him going months prior to the draft.
    The thing is at the time they traded their pick to the Spurs, the mock drafts kept changing week to week until draft night. Someone who was in the late first round could have easily found themselves in the early and mid 2nd round and vise versa.

I think the Raptors had a pretty good idea at the time that most Gm's would stay clear of an older college player big with still raw offensive skills by the time their pick would have came in at the early 2nd round. So which ever player that might be available in the late 1st round won't be much better than what Thad and Koloko (or whatever other players were possibly ahead of him) would still bring to the table together.

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

We actually do not know if Koloko was their top target choice the between 20th & 33rd pick.
      He might not have been but I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have taken Branham over Koloko.

Koloko was clearly one of the guys we were in on heavily for a while.

Comment

The thing is at the time they traded their pick to the Spurs, the mock drafts kept changing week to week until draft night. Someone who was in the late first round could have easily found themselves in the early and mid 2nd round and vise versa.

I think the Raptors had a pretty good idea at the time that most Gm's would stay clear of an older college player big with still raw offensive skills by the time their pick would have came in at the early 2nd round. So which ever player that might be available in the late 1st round won't be much better than what Thad and Koloko (or whatever other players were possibly ahead of him) would still bring to the table together.

Yeah I mean mock drafts tend to change a lot up until the combines and things settle down a bit, but Koloko was one of those guys that was penciled in at the top of the 2nd round early and didn't move much.

I personally don't think the Raptors would have picked Koloko at 20, but I'm happy he's part of the team. Seems like a good prospect and he has all the tools to be a better back up to Precious than Khem. Actually in terms of tools he has what it takes to be better than Precious, but lots of development needed.

Branham was one of the guys I really liked early on when I was looking at picks in the 20 range. I thought he could have filled a couple of needs for us.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

He might not have been but I'm pretty certain we wouldn't have taken Branham over Koloko.

Koloko was clearly one of the guys we were in on heavily for a while.
          What makes you so certain Raps wouldn't have taken Branham over Koloko and why was it clear the Raps were heavily onto? They didn't pick Branham, so they're not going to explain how long they may have been scouting him, right?

Comment

What makes you so certain Raps wouldn't have taken Branham over Koloko and why was it clear the Raps were heavily onto? They didn't pick Branham, so they're not going to explain how long they may have been scouting him, right?
            Because we know how long we've been scouting Koloko and we know of a dozen or so players we were heavily interested in. Branham wasn't ever mentioned. Obviously I don't know for sure but odds are he wasn't going to be our pick.

If we want to hand wring about guys who went between 20 and our pick I'd focus on Roddy, Baldwin, and Houstan. Guys we were actually rumored to be heavily interested in.

Comment

Because we know how long we've been scouting Koloko and we know of a dozen or so players we were heavily interested in. Branham wasn't ever mentioned. Obviously I don't know for sure but odds are he wasn't going to be our pick.

If we want to hand wring about guys who went between 20 and our pick I'd focus on Roddy, Baldwin, and Houstan. Guys we were actually rumored to be heavily interested in.
              All the Raptors rumors were coming from mostly from sites and so called draft experts trying to guess who Masai would pick. There isn't concrete evidence who the Raptors would have actually picked, this is why the Raptors are so good at what they do. They don't leak nothing and sometimes they pick players that people thought weren't exactly on their radar.

Branham is 19 year old SG who excelled at the 3, who can play defense, who is 6'5 with a 6"10 wingspan. The Spurs also have mostly a good draft record and there is a good reason why they picked him. Who knows maybe at the time the trade with Thad happened, Branham was considered a lottery pick and would have been unlikely to drop to 20th.
              Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Jul 28, 2022, 10:32 AM.

Comment

All the Raptors rumors were coming from mostly from sites and so called draft experts trying to guess who Masai would pick. There isn't concrete evidence who the Raptors would have actually picked, this is why the Raptors are so good at what they do. They don't leak nothing and sometimes they pick players that people thought weren't exactly on their radar.

Branham is 19 year old SG who excelled at the 3, who can play defense, who is 6'5 with a 6"10 wingspan. The Spurs also have mostly a good draft record and there is a good reason why they picked him. Who knows maybe at the time the trade with Thad happened, Branham was considered a lottery pick and would have been unlikely to drop to 20th.
                The so called draft experts are our best source of info so I'd rather go with them than your gut feeling. We did get info on dozens of workouts so not like we were going blind into the draft, a lot of it is public knowledge. I know I won't be worried one bit about missing out on Branham. We got our guy in Koloko and we got Thad resigned, the trade is a win in my books.

Comment

The so called draft experts are our best source of info so I'd rather go with them than your gut feeling.
                  My gut feelings?! You're belittling my argument in order to make your argument stronger. I never said it's about gut feeling. The point is the "draft experts" can only guess at what prospects the Raptors are considering to pick but not know for sure & there are certainly a bunch of players that do not fit the exact mold the Raptors current trend is but still can be an option if pound for pound their overall talent triumph the next player on board. This is why almost every year we hear of a name not be known before they are picked by the Raptors (Dalano Banton?! He wasn't in anybody's radar).

By the way unless Branham has some type of character flaw, he would be a player the Raptors would have taken a hard look at if they thought they had a shot at him. Otherwise they aren't doing their due diligence & you potentially miss out on another Desmond Bane like player (with the right measurements) because you preferred a certain mold of a player you already have in hoping to duplicate it.
                  Last edited by Hotshot; Thu Jul 28, 2022, 01:34 PM.

Comment

No hand wringing here. I'm hoping there aren't regrets over the Thad trade sure, but not going to be one of those members that pulls a random quote two years from now and say "Hey, I told you so".

As I said, because we didn't draft Branham we will never know the extent of the Raptors scouting him. Perhaps they were doing so just as intensely as they did with Koloko. Koloko was never mentioned either right? Did the Raps bring Koloko in for a workout prior to the draft? I don't think it was announced that they did, so either they didn't bring him in or they didn't make it public. Either way, it wasn't clear they were interested in him.

Comment

• LOL, the "draft experts" probably still think the Raptors reached on Scottie.

Comment

• I suspect the Raptors and most other organizations don't have a list of players they go through in order, but tiers of prospect quality. I wouldn't be surprised if Branham was a guy they had in the same tier as Koloko. They may even have taken him over Koloko. I think the Thad deal was them looking at their tier list and thinking there was a very good chance that the best guy there at 20 was going to be in the same tier as the best guy there at 33, so they didn't consider it a lost opportunity to add talent.

So they are perfectly happy with Koloko, but that doesn't mean they might not have taken someone else if they were picking at 20 - just that in their minds (and we should probably trust them on this considering their track record), that other guy they may have taken doesn't have a significantly better shot at being a really good player than Koloko does.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

LOL, the "draft experts" probably still think the Raptors reached on Scottie.
                          never understood the notion of a reach... to me a reach is someone that you are reaching over 10 spots for... but if a guy is projected basically around that level anyways.. is it a reach? Barnes early on in the process was top 10 I believe as high as 7th/8th. After the combine there was talk of him going as high as 5th/6th.. with small chatter of him going as high as 4th to us.

Comment

No hand wringing here. I'm hoping there aren't regrets over the Thad trade sure, but not going to be one of those members that pulls a random quote two years from now and say "Hey, I told you so".

As I said, because we didn't draft Branham we will never know the extent of the Raptors scouting him. Perhaps they were doing so just as intensely as they did with Koloko. Koloko was never mentioned either right? Did the Raps bring Koloko in for a workout prior to the draft? I don't think it was announced that they did, so either they didn't bring him in or they didn't make it public. Either way, it wasn't clear they were interested in him.
                            they weren't able to officially bring him in because of visa issues.

Comment

There were lots of reports of us interested in Koloko. Hence why we talked about him a shit ton in the draft thread leading up to the draft and many predicted he would be our pick well before the draft.

Comment

• bertarapsfan this is for you

Comment

Working...
                                X