Everything Thad Young

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post
    I suspect the Raptors and most other organizations don't have a list of players they go through in order, but tiers of prospect quality. I wouldn't be surprised if Branham was a guy they had in the same tier as Koloko. They may even have taken him over Koloko. I think the Thad deal was them looking at their tier list and thinking there was a very good chance that the best guy there at 20 was going to be in the same tier as the best guy there at 33, so they didn't consider it a lost opportunity to add talent.

So they are perfectly happy with Koloko, but that doesn't mean they might not have taken someone else if they were picking at 20 - just that in their minds (and we should probably trust them on this considering their track record), that other guy they may have taken doesn't have a significantly better shot at being a really good player than Koloko does.
    Doesn’t even need to be a suspicion. They’ve confirmed the tiers theory thing. It was in a draft Open Gym episode, I just can’t remember whose

Comment

• Only stupid would isolate Thad in an argument blaming him as the reason why this team is struggling and then going back finding YouTube highlights of someone who could have been the player the Raptors would have taken if they did not give up the pick for Thad….

totally strawman and trying to be relevant in a discussion.

Masai and Bobby were very lucky that Koloko was available, great pre-draft scouting by the way…he has skills to be a solid defensive anchor in the middle who will not require touches but playing a specific role complementing the four starters. Serge would be proud of Christian if in the offseason he develops his range especially in the corners and the 15 footer useful for a PnR or a PnP. Scottie and Pascal both unselfish players would thrive having him and so is Koloko in return.

win-win.

Comment

• We may have paid a steep price for Thad, but the drafting of Koloko made up for it. In a normal draft, where teams weren’t reaching to draft a wing player, Koloko would’ve went anywhere from 15-25. In quality of drafted player, we didn’t drop that much.

The pick up of Thad was more than his on court production, he was brought in for his veteran leadership. Both Scottie and Precious have admitted that he has given them more confidence.

Did we over pay? Probably. Did it work out? Yes.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          But if we're trading with the Spurs.. they should have nabbed McBuckets instead of Thad. We needed shooting.
          Cue the: “but he’s a 1-way player” RR chorus.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
            We may have paid a steep price for Thad, but the drafting of Koloko made up for it. In a normal draft, where teams weren’t reaching to draft a wing player, Koloko would’ve went anywhere from 15-25. In quality of drafted player, we didn’t drop that much.

The pick up of Thad was more than his on court production, he was brought in for his veteran leadership. Both Scottie and Precious have admitted that he has given them more confidence.

Did we over pay? Probably. Did it work out? Yes.
            I give Thad some credit for Boucher improving as well. You could see him teaching Boucher on the court when they play together.

Comment

• Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
                Move those goal posts.

We could do this shit for every draft. There are always better guys taken after our pick.

I'm still pretty sure Masai would have taken Koloko over Kessler. He can't resist a raw African player.

At least your argument has teeth now with a player playing better than Koloko.

Comment

• The other advantage is that Koloko has a 3 year minimum deal, will then be a UFA but we have his bird rights with a very small cap hold. For Walker or any other first round pick you have to pay a bit of a premium to get them for 4 years and their QO (basically player option).

I think it would have come down to Nembhard or Koloko if I had to be honest. Nembhard would have been nice here. He's the kind of backup guard Flynn wishes to be. And he's a Canuck!

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                    The other advantage is that Koloko has a 3 year minimum deal, will then be a UFA but we have his bird rights with a very small cap hold. For Walker or any other first round pick you have to pay a bit of a premium to get them for 4 years and their QO (basically player option).

I think it would have come down to Nembhard or Koloko if I had to be honest. Nembhard would have been nice here. He's the kind of backup guard Flynn wishes to be. And he's a Canuck!
                    He will be an RFA, not a UFA.

https://www.nba.com/news/free-agency-explained

Restricted free agency exists in the following situations:

• Following the fourth year of rookie “scale” contracts for former first-round Draft picks.

• For all veteran free agents who have been in the NBA for three seasons or less.

Koloko falls into the 2nd bucket.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Move those goal posts.

We could do this shit for every draft. There are always better guys taken after our pick.

I'm still pretty sure Masai would have taken Koloko over Kessler. He can't resist a raw African player.

At least your argument has teeth now with a player playing better than Koloko.
                      LOL copium is real

Kessler was 22 pick. first round pick that we gave up for Thad. That's the point.
                      Last edited by MixxAOR; Wed Jan 11, 2023, 06:46 PM.
                      Only one thing matters: We The Champs.

Comment

• Koloko doesn't have to play better btw. He's second round pick I'm not putting that expectation on him. But you will do whatever to defend front office.

Comment

Koloko had a 11, 7 and 6 game early season as well. It will be a few years before we find out if the Raptors really made a mistake or not.

Comment

LOL copium is real

Kessler was 22 pick. first round pick that we gave up for Thad. That's the point.
                            No copium bud. I think Masai would have taken Koloko over Kessler. Kessler is good though, unlike Branham.

Maybe you're coping over how bad your original argument was when you looked at how Branham has been in the NBA instead of his pre draft profile.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

No copium bud. I think Masai would have taken Koloko over Kessler. Kessler is good though, unlike Branham.

Maybe you're coping over how bad your original argument was when you looked at how Branham has been in the NBA instead of his pre draft profile.
                              Branham is better still. Don't wanna go over the argument when your point is "Koloko is better". Nice analysis bud.

And Masai still taking Koloko at 20 when he got him at 32 is not a slam dunk point you think it is.

Comment

Branham is better still. Don't wanna go over the argument when your point is "Koloko is better". Nice analysis bud.

And Masai still taking Koloko at 20 when he got him at 32 is not a slam dunk point you think it is.
                                If you can't tell that Koloko is better that's on you. Branham shoots like crap and that's his main skill set. Koloko is a mobile rim protector and he's averaging 1.2 blocks in only 16 minutes. His skill transferred to the NBA. Branhams didnt.

I also think Thad has been a useful player, both last season and this season.

I'm not shedding any tears about missing out on Branham like you are. I'm glad we have Koloko instead of him.

Comment

Working...
                                X