Expected Fluctuations for Ross' shooting %

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
    I'm more worried about the team's defense, but yeah, I don't disagree.

I guess it all comes down to if you feel like Ross and DeRozan have already hit their ceilings as playmakers. If they have, then the offense might need some overhaul.

Of course, I feel that contradicts the whole argument that Ross deserves more touches. On the one hand people argue that Ross doesn't get enough touches ... but we also acknowledge that he's a shitty playmaker? I don't know what the heck that offense looks like.

And honestly, we should be put our development into perspective. Much is made of the Spurs incredible ball movement, but that's a system that has almost a decade of continuity, and three great playmakers (Parker, Duncan, Ginobili).
    Bold 1: Totally.

Bold 2: Offense is fine. The run bits of everything (pNr, dribble drive, ISO, horns, swing-one-side-to other, post ups, etc.) the problem, in my opinion, is the need to remove some of the eggs from the ISO basket.

Bold 3: Touches should be given in areas he will excel - catch and shoot, transition, lobs...but mainly catch and shoot.

Bold 4: Pop totally redid the offense a few years ago. He has adapted and changed as a coach. He never stops learning. While the Big 3 have stayed the same, the complimentary pieces have very much changed.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Bold 1: Totally.

Bold 2: Offense is fine. The run bits of everything (pNr, dribble drive, ISO, horns, swing-one-side-to other, post ups, etc.) the problem, in my opinion, is the need to remove some of the eggs from the ISO basket.

Bold 3: Touches should be given in areas he will excel - catch and shoot, transition, lobs...but mainly catch and shoot.

Bold 4: Pop totally redid the offense a few years ago. He has adapted and changed as a coach. He never stops learning. While the Big 3 have stayed the same, the complimentary pieces have very much changed.
      Two of the most amazing things about Pops are:
      1. How he's evolved the Spurs' systems as his core players age. I remember watching them play the Pistons in '04, and I watched them dismantle the Heat last spring. Those were two completely different systems built around the same 3 core players by the same coach.
      2. He actually utilizes the strengths of his role players. Dejaun Blair didn't stand at the 3 pt line when he played next to Duncan, and Bonner doesn't stand under the basket looking for offensive rebounds. He uses all of his guys - Boris The Croissant Diaw looked like flippin Magic Johnson in the last Finals and played a completely different role than any SF/PF players who preceded him in the Spurs system.
      "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

Re: original post - I think we're overreacting a bit to individual good games/bad games and good plays/bad plays from our young guys (Ross and JV, especially). Role players like Ross are just as likely to give you 4 points as 20, and that's completely normal for a guy that far down the pecking order on his NBA team. It doesn't mean he sucks.

He's still working on it, but I've seen him take his guy off the dribble and get into the lane a few times this year in a way that I haven't seen before. I think he's getting there.
        "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

I wonder if Casey ever yells at Ross or puts him in his place.....I wonder....

Comment

Good points you guys ... The more I think about it I wonder why players aren't climbing over each other to play for Popovich.

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
              He's still working on it, but I've seen him take his guy off the dribble and get into the lane a few times this year in a way that I haven't seen before. I think he's getting there.
              I think people forget that before the Rudy trade Ross saw very inconsistent PT and very limited opportunity with a bunch of Philly-level bench players. He has only had 3/4's of a season of minutes, of which he saw many go to John Salmons.

Comment

bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                Good points you guys ... The more I think about it I wonder why players aren't climbing over each other to play for Popovich.
                It takes a lot to set aside your ego and play a role. Also its hard to get stars like the Spurs have. Look at Leonard, he is one of a few who really fit what Pop wants: chill, doesn't let emotions get the best of him and is willing to listen, hard to find high level talents that play like that. Also, not many stars that are actually willing to take a pay cut to play on a competitive team.

Comment

DogeLover1234 wrote: View Post
                  It takes a lot to set aside your ego and play a role. Also its hard to get stars like the Spurs have. Look at Leonard, he is one of a few who really fit what Pop wants: chill, doesn't let emotions get the best of him and is willing to listen, hard to find high level talents that play like that. Also, not many stars that are actually willing to take a pay cut to play on a competitive team.
                  The city has something to do with it, too. Nothing against San Antonio, but have you ever been there? Once you've seen the Riverwalk and visited the Alamo, that's pretty much it. Cleveland looks cosmopolitan by comparison. But the bigggest reason is probably the pay cut, as you said. Same thing with OKC.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    The city has something to do with it, too. Nothing against San Antonio, but have you ever been there? Once you've seen the Riverwalk and visited the Alamo, that's pretty much it. Cleveland looks cosmopolitan by comparison. But the bigggest reason is probably the pay cut, as you said. Same thing with OKC.
                    Fat chicks. Fat Latino Chick but still... Fat Chicks

Comment

Working...
                    X