Fan Opinion: Just trade Jonas already

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    So i'm really confused. Why the fuck would Memphis trade Gasol?? because he's a FA next year? they're the best team in the NBA right now, Gasol is their best player. I could easily see them winning it all this year.

I say go after Gasol in the summer. Offer him a max contract. Can Gasol and JV play together though?
    JV is a traditional center, gasol has finesse with amazing passing skills and can play 15 feet from the basket. I really dont know why people are so concerned with this. JV plays with amir johnson and gasol plays with Zach randolph and both work amazingly.

In today's nba it really doesnt matter. Bosh went from pf to center. Tim Duncan started with David Robinson and now he has no defined position really. Its just two bigs, I'm sure theyd be fine.
    9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      The same reason they traded the older Gasol, who was also their best player on a perennial contender. To cut costs and look to the future
      they weren't really a contender though, they were more of a "good playoff team"
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• consmap wrote: View Post
        I'd want Gasol if the team was serious about contending right now. But are they though? And does Gasol really put us over the hump?
        IMO, adding Gasol instantly puts us at the top (with Cavs and Bulls) in terms of likelihood to win the conference.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
          True, but you could stretch and say the same about the current Grizzlies too. Ousted in the 1st round twice in the last 3 years.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            So i'm really confused. Why the fuck would Memphis trade Gasol?? because he's a FA next year? they're the best team in the NBA right now, Gasol is their best player. I could easily see them winning it all this year.

I say go after Gasol in the summer. Offer him a max contract. Can Gasol and JV play together though?
            There's lots of problems in general with the whole premise of going after Gasol...

Obviously Memphis should not trade him. Trading him this season would be a horrible move for Memphis, where it would damage their reputation quite a bit to dismantle a contender just because one piece is expiring. No one would take them seriously anymore.

And Toronto, at the moment, has no way of actually offering Gasol a max contract, which he's pretty much guaranteed to be offered by more than one team. For the Raptors to make the move, they'd not only have to renounce every expiring they have, but find a way to clear some extra cap room. And then we wouldn't be the deep team we are now.

There's really just not a lot working in Toronto's favour for this kind of move to work out.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              There's lots of problems in general with the whole premise of going after Gasol...

Obviously Memphis should not trade him. Trading him this season would be a horrible move for Memphis, where it would damage their reputation quite a bit to dismantle a contender just because one piece is expiring. No one would take them seriously anymore.

And Toronto, at the moment, has no way of actually offering Gasol a max contract, which he's pretty much guaranteed to be offered by more than one team. For the Raptors to make the move, they'd not only have to renounce every expiring they have, but find a way to clear some extra cap room. And then we wouldn't be the deep team we are now.

There's really just not a lot working in Toronto's favour for this kind of move to work out.
              It's definitely unlikely. But hey, stranger things have happened....especially when Ujiri is on one end of the phone

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Except, yknow, getting marc gasol. Instantly becomes our best player. You get a chance to do something like that you take it. Guys are fretting about saying goodbye to amir Johnson and lou Williams? Yeah depth is awesome and so is the current squad, if youre into 2nd round exits.

People! Marc gasol is a superstar, the kind that most of you wanted to tank in hopes of drafting. You know who else had a lot of depth and a pretty good team? Houston before getting harden. Dont think theres any regrets.

Comment

The same reason they traded the older Gasol, who was also their best player on a perennial contender. To cut costs and look to the future
                  Except the grizz were a bottom feeder already with Pau. They had nowhere to go but up.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                    Except, yknow, getting marc gasol. Instantly becomes our best player. You get a chance to do something like that you take it. Guys are fretting about saying goodbye to amir Johnson and lou Williams? Yeah depth is awesome and so is the current squad, if youre into 2nd round exits.

People! Marc gasol is a superstar, the kind that most of you wanted to tank in hopes of drafting. You know who else had a lot of depth and a pretty good team? Houston before getting harden. Dont think theres any regrets.
                    Houston didn't give up anything close to the prospect as JV in that trade.

Comment

• Any chance that the Marc Gasol rumours are being floated out there by the organization to try to get Jonas to pick up his intensity?

I'm all for the Raptors going after Gasol, I just think a mid-season trade for him this year is exceptionally unlikley, and it's exceptionally unusual for Toronto to let slip those sorts of rumours. So either it's a journalist or source making something up, or it's intentional and calculated.

Comment

• One other component I'd like to add is there's a corollary to "very high upside" and that is the odds of the player actually reaching their upside. Both Anthony Davis and DeMarcus Cousins had MVP upsides when they were drafted, but AD went #1 his draft year while Cousins #5 in his. The difference was AD had a much greater chance of actually reaching his potential than Cousins who had some huge personality related question marks.

Will JV and Ross ever reach those "very high upsides"? I really doubt it, although I do l like JV's chances to at least come close a lot more than Ross's. But that's just my amateur opinion.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          put me in the "why in gods name would you trade Val?" camp

you should be looking to build around him, not replace him
                          Exactly.

JV has shown ability to be solid rim protector. See Kobe drive.

More experience will only help that.

Trading JV is short sighted.

There is a huge risk any 29 year old in prime drops off dramatically and quickly within a year. SeeAI.

Comment

• mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                            Houston didn't give up anything close to the prospect as JV in that trade.
                            Im not suggesting at all to trade jv for gasol. Im referencing a loss of depth to clearing out cap space for a free agent signing this summer.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                              What are you guys talking about? The Grizzlies only made the playoffs 3 times with Pau and they got SWEPT in the first round every time (3 straight years)......far from a good playoff team or perennial contender i'd say.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                Im not suggesting at all to trade jv for gasol. Im referencing a loss of depth to clearing out cap space for a free agent signing this summer.
                                Houston essentially gave up Martin, Lamb, and 2 2013 picks.

The Rockets sent Kevin Martin, Jeremy Lamb and future draft considerations to the Thunder for Harden, sources told Y! Sports. Along with Harden, the Thunder will send Cole Aldrich, Lazar Hayward and Daequan Cook to the Rockets.

Houston also sent two 2013 first-round picks (from Dallas and Toronto) to Oklahoma City, sources told Y! Sports, as well as a 2013 second-round pick (via Charlotte). The Thunder will receive the Toronto pick this year if it's slotted Nos. 4-14. That pick also is top-three protected in 2014, top-two protected in 2015 and top-one protected in 2016.

Don't think Housron have up much depth. Harden replaced Martin and 3 players replaced a rookie Lamb.

Comment

Working...
                                X