Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"You're toast if you're a bad passing team"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    c_bcm wrote: View Post
    I think a contributor to this issue right now for the Raps is Williams. As great as he has been, he does not buy into the mechanism that was in place last year. He is imposing his will on the court, instead of falling in line with the team culture. I think this is starting to permeate throughout the squad and we're seeing less passing and less trust on the team.
    I can't really agree with this, because it looks like the role carved out for Lou has been to ignore the system and be an iso scorer. He is frequently given the ball at the top and everyone just gets out of the way. To me it looks entirely by design. At other times, he's been part of the system when off the ball. He spots up in the corner or on the wing to either catch and shoot, or use a big's screen to attack. I can't fault Lou for doing what he's probably been asked to do.

    Comment


    • #17
      white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I can't really agree with this, because it looks like the role carved out for Lou has been to ignore the system and be an iso scorer. He is frequently given the ball at the top and everyone just gets out of the way. To me it looks entirely by design. At other times, he's been part of the system when off the ball. He spots up in the corner or on the wing to either catch and shoot, or use a big's screen to attack. I can't fault Lou for doing what he's probably been asked to do.
      Replace Lou with Lowry or Demar and it pretty much sums up the offense in the clutch

      Comment


      • #18
        white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        I can't really agree with this, because it looks like the role carved out for Lou has been to ignore the system and be an iso scorer. He is frequently given the ball at the top and everyone just gets out of the way. To me it looks entirely by design. At other times, he's been part of the system when off the ball. He spots up in the corner or on the wing to either catch and shoot, or use a big's screen to attack. I can't fault Lou for doing what he's probably been asked to do.
        I agree.

        If Lou is imposing his will that doesn't speak much of Casey. While I'm not one of Casey's biggest fans, I don't think he is bad enough of a coach to be unable to control his players.

        It is pretty apparent that the players do what they are asked in my opinion.

        Comment


        • #19
          Sometimes a little too well (ROSS).
          Axel wrote:
          Now Cody can stop posting about this guy and we have a poster to blame if anything goes wrong!!
          KeonClark wrote:
          We won't hear back from him. He dissapears into thin air and reappears when you least expect it. Ten is an enigma. Ten is a legend. Ten for the motherfucking win.
          KeonClark wrote:
          I can't wait until the playoffs start.

          Until then, opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they most often stink

          Comment


          • #20
            KeonClark wrote: View Post
            I too remember a solid portion of last season. Sharing the ball..what a novel concept. What happened to Vasquez i thought passing was his forte. Now hes selfish as fuck. It's like its contagious cause derozan looks for his.
            I mentioned this before...imo, the arrival of Lou Will. and subsequent reduction of GV playing time has messed with his "all for one and yada yada" mantra he was preaching and doing last year. I thought that getting a good extension would have soothed him but his play has been disappointing. I wish we could telepathically transport Popovich during GV's mind numbing heaves and have Pop scream at him and then box his ears so the screams regurgitate in his brain for the rest of the game. It cured Parker.

            Comment


            • #21
              Employee wrote: View Post
              His wife is from Toronto.
              Oh sweet. If anybody runs into him tell him keep up the good work, but stop calling us the drakes!
              It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

              Comment


              • #22
                A couple good points here - core offensive players (Lowry, DeRozan, Lou) all look to "impose their will" as individuals on the offensive end, basically. The Spurs (tired of hearing about them yet?) looked to impose their will as a team, as a system. The Raps young leaders, Lowry and DD, need to mature to that point.

                I guess I've gotten used to this approach - I remember noticing it a lot more in the Brooklyn series, wondering why Lowry and DD were trying to save the team all by themselves, and wondering what happened to the ball movement.

                The crazy thing is the Raps offense is performing at a really high level, but count me in as one of the guys worried about the playoffs. I think the last play of game 7 sums up what we all fear - Lowry driving, all alone, in not that great of a situation, and getting stuffed with the entire season on the line. Ultimately, when a good D dials in on a play, Lowry, DD, and Lou are all stoppable offensive players. This team would be harder to guard with more ball and player movement.
                "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

                Comment


                • #23
                  S.R. wrote: View Post
                  A couple good points here - core offensive players (Lowry, DeRozan, Lou) all look to "impose their will" as individuals on the offensive end, basically. The Spurs (tired of hearing about them yet?) looked to impose their will as a team, as a system. The Raps young leaders, Lowry and DD, need to mature to that point.

                  I guess I've gotten used to this approach - I remember noticing it a lot more in the Brooklyn series, wondering why Lowry and DD were trying to save the team all by themselves, and wondering what happened to the ball movement.

                  The crazy thing is the Raps offense is performing at a really high level, but count me in as one of the guys worried about the playoffs. I think the last play of game 7 sums up what we all fear - Lowry driving, all alone, in not that great of a situation, and getting stuffed with the entire season on the line. Ultimately, when a good D dials in on a play, Lowry, DD, and Lou are all stoppable offensive players. This team would be harder to guard with more ball and player movement.
                  Ill never forget that whole last play i was screaming "pass it to 2pat!!!!!" He was wide open to the left of Lowry. There was absolutely no back up plan after "lowry drive the ball and take it yourself"
                  It's Klaw Season. Time to hunt.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Whether by design or neglect, the iso-ball offence is painful to watch and an abomination in the face of what we have seen this team do in the past. Whatever the issue is, it needs to be fixed immediately. This is boring-ass ball right now, and the current record is nothing but fools gold.

                    Welcome to the higher standard Raptors fans. Let's see how they do.
                    Welp, that sucked.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Whats toronto since DD went down?

                      Eh?

                      Not counting the NBA powered loss to the Cavs as that was clearly an NBA gametime decision.


                      I think this team is doing well without DD.

                      And when he's back, they will be even better.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Superjudge wrote: View Post
                        Whats toronto since DD went down?

                        Eh?

                        Not counting the NBA powered loss to the Cavs as that was clearly an NBA gametime decision.


                        I think this team is doing well without DD.

                        And when he's back, they will be even better.
                        I don't think anyone is denying the team has done well. I think our O-rating is still like top-3 in the league.

                        As S.R. pointed out, this is more a concern about sustainability. If we try to run an ISO dominant offense in the playoffs, where teams will be super prepared, keyed in defensively and be making strategic game to game adjustments, it will be hard to keep up the same O-rating I'd imagine.

                        All I'm saying is that I'd rather this not become our permanent identity. It's early enough that there's still time to change; let's take advantage of that.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          They don't, they run a pretty well known motion.... horns I believe, with a lot of 1-4 as well.

                          I have no idea why people keep saying they don't.

                          The issue is usually when the half ass it and the screeners dont set um with any effort.

                          I think at times Lowry still ignores the bigs rolling to the rim...but all in all it aint bad.

                          Toronto isn't losing on offence this year, the problem has been in their own end.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Superjudge wrote: View Post
                            They don't, they run a pretty well known motion.... horns I believe, with a lot of 1-4 as well.

                            I have no idea why people keep saying they don't.

                            The issue is usually when the half ass it and the screeners dont set um with any effort.

                            I think at times Lowry still ignores the bigs rolling to the rim...but all in all it aint bad.

                            Toronto isn't losing on offence this year, the problem has been in their own end.
                            They ran way more HORNS last year. Haven't seen half of much of it this year. Especially when JV is in. They rarely get both bigs up to the high post for a traditional HORNS set.

                            Anyways, I think we more or less agree. The offence is 'fine' for now, and defence is a wayyy bigger concern at the moment. Still, I'd like to see less ball pounding and more ball passing.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X