Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employee
    replied
    Lowe is the best On that podcast with Simmons this week he talked about how he was surprised that the World Junior Championships are televised and that he's pissed off he can't go to any Raptor games when he's in Toronto for two weeks.

Leave a comment:

• c_bcm
    replied
    I think a contributor to this issue right now for the Raps is Williams. As great as he has been, he does not buy into the mechanism that was in place last year. He is imposing his will on the court, instead of falling in line with the team culture. I think this is starting to permeate throughout the squad and we're seeing less passing and less trust on the team.

Leave a comment:

• consmap
    replied
    It probably has to do with the fact that Casey just has a bad understanding of offense. He seems to put a little too much trust in his main offensive players and ball handlers. Running good plays is just something he's not good at, so he has to rely on the individual talents of his players to come up with good shots. Whether these good shots come out of ISO play or ball movement is something he just doesn't control.

I remember when he was really high on Jose Calderon during his time here. It must have been really comforting for Casey to have a leader whose main strength was passing and getting the team involved; that way Casey wouldn't really have to do much in terms of trying to get the team a good shot. He seems to be good at preaching broad ideas on what he wants the offense to do, but fails to apply any specifics and details to get his ideas to work.

Leave a comment:

• CalgaryRapsFan
    replied
    KeonClark wrote: View Post
    I too remember a solid portion of last season. Sharing the ball..what a novel concept. What happened to Vasquez i thought passing was his forte. Now hes selfish as fuck. It's like its contagious cause derozan looks for his.
    Or because DC tells all the guards - DeRozan, Lowry, Lou, Vasquez - to look for their own shot first. Vasquez is another player that I think DC neuters and fails to play to his strengths.

Leave a comment:

• GLF
    replied
    yea we are fucked in the playoffs with this ISO heavy offense. And trust me guys it aint gonna change. We might have a game here and there where we really move the ball but for the most part this is who we are. Sad but true.

Leave a comment:

• KeonClark
    replied
    mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    Nailed it.

I thought it was a dream.

Glad someone else remembers this.

Unfortunately we've got an ISO sandwich on a slice of pre-gay and a slice of 2014-15.
    I too remember a solid portion of last season. Sharing the ball..what a novel concept. What happened to Vasquez i thought passing was his forte. Now hes selfish as fuck. It's like its contagious cause derozan looks for his.

Leave a comment:

• MixxAOR
    replied
    well that's how we lost to Nets.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Not having DD is what is killing us. That and the fact that we really do not have a number 2 option anymore. We just have guys that either show up or flop.
    I disagree.

1) Raps are getting killed on D because DD at least is good for the first rotation. Vasquez is useless on defensive system.

2) Insistence on running ISO dominated offense and not diversifying does not allow for a 2nd option. It is my turn your turn - not work to give up a good shot for a great shot.

Leave a comment:

• mcHAPPY
    replied
    themasao wrote: View Post
    Zach Lowe with a typically great interview, here with Chris Bosh. One quote really stuck out to me:

I can't help but feel that until the Raptors get back to the level of trust they had mid-season last year when the ball was zipping around and guys were getting lots of open shots, we won't be able to take that next step (i.e. ECF or even second round).

We are a more talented team than last year. Internal development and some nice additions have made this the PERFECT type of team to run the high-movement, high-motion offense that the Spurs (and now Miami) do really well.

I'm not saying we need to do it nearly as well as those teams, but we should at least be embracing the mentality. Cleveland and maybe a couple other teams can get away with running lots of ISO ball and being good. But we are not going to succeed, especially in the playoffs, until we rethink our strategy and regain the trust that we once had.

LINK: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa...ower-of-trust/
    Nailed it.

I thought it was a dream.

Glad someone else remembers this.

Unfortunately we've got an ISO sandwich on a slice of pre-gay and a slice of 2014-15.

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied
    themasao wrote: View Post
    No doubt not having DD is hurting us. But the point is that, if anything, we should be moving the ball MORE with DD out -- not less. Play to the strength of your personell.

Our guys are solid players and good shooters, not superlative 1v1 guys.
    1. We'd be fine if Casey saw that Ross can play SG. Bringing in JJ would be a the best move right now.

2. Yeah.. and it seems like when one falls, so do the others.

Leave a comment:

• themasao
    replied
    Cody73 wrote: View Post
    Not having DD is what is killing us. That and the fact that we really do not have a number 2 option anymore. We just have guys that either show up or flop.
    No doubt not having DD is hurting us. But the point is that, if anything, we should be moving the ball MORE with DD out -- not less. Play to the strength of your personell.

Our guys are solid players and good shooters, not superlative 1v1 guys.

Leave a comment:

• Cody73
    replied

Leave a comment:

• themasao
    started a topic "You're toast if you're a bad passing team"

"You're toast if you're a bad passing team"

Zach Lowe with a typically great interview, here with Chris Bosh. One quote really stuck out to me:

ZL: And defenses can load up against the ball. You’re toast if you’re a bad passing team.

CB: Yeah. You have to trust each other. The Spurs trust each other to the fullest. It’s the best basketball I ever saw. And I told them that after they beat us. That’s why I wasn’t really that bummed out. I was like, Man, if I’m gonna get beat, it’s by you guys. I can respect that.
    I can't help but feel that until the Raptors get back to the level of trust they had mid-season last year when the ball was zipping around and guys were getting lots of open shots, we won't be able to take that next step (i.e. ECF or even second round).

We are a more talented team than last year. Internal development and some nice additions have made this the PERFECT type of team to run the high-movement, high-motion offense that the Spurs (and now Miami) do really well.

I'm not saying we need to do it nearly as well as those teams, but we should at least be embracing the mentality. Cleveland and maybe a couple other teams can get away with running lots of ISO ball and being good. But we are not going to succeed, especially in the playoffs, until we rethink our strategy and regain the trust that we once had.

LINK: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa...ower-of-trust/
    Last edited by themasao; Wed Dec 10, 2014, 03:42 PM. Reason: Link
Working...
X