Game 73: Raptors vs Cavaliers, Thu Mar 24, 2022, 7:30 PM, SN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• saints91 wrote: View Post

If you are subbing a guy after 2mins, don't bother starting him... that's only done to appease a player. They were subbing out Barnes after 4mins, but I think Scottie wasn't as effective when everyone was in the lineup
    Barnes has started every game this season he's played in.. so I'm not sure how well it would go in the locker room if he didn't start. But Nurse may also not care if we're down 5-10 points in the first quarter. His big adjustments come in after half time typically.

On the other hand we started both Precious and Khem against Philly recently. Khem was a team low -16, and the 76ers had 37 points in the first quarter. They ended up only scoring 88 by the end of the game.. so we obviously made the right adjustments and won.

Nurse isn't rigid. If something isn't working, he'll make a change. But I think the starting 5 will be the starting 5. Perhaps not the same 5 at half time every game.. but it'll be the 5 that starts.

Comment

• If healthy, the small lineup is clearly the starting unit IMO. Precious and boucher first off the bench, followed by Thad, a few minutes for Flynn ( hopefully) and birch situationately. I'm not overly concerned about Embiid even against that small lineup as our trapping and collective defense seems to slow him down enough. Now if he can find a way to beat the trap and get the ball to harden or Maxey, an adjustment may have to follow. But realistically, how much better of a job can birch do on embiid straight up over scottie?

The team I'm mostly concerned about is Boston. They have found a groove and might be peaking at just the right time. Their D is killer, they have a tremendous scorer in Tatum, who seems to get what he wants against us, and have the defenders to slow pascal. A 4-5 first round match up with them might be worst case scenario for me.

Comment

• JawsGT wrote: View Post
        If healthy, the small lineup is clearly the starting unit IMO. Precious and boucher first off the bench, followed by Thad, a few minutes for Flynn ( hopefully) and birch situationately. I'm not overly concerned about Embiid even against that small lineup as our trapping and collective defense seems to slow him down enough. Now if he can find a way to beat the trap and get the ball to harden or Maxey, an adjustment may have to follow. But realistically, how much better of a job can birch do on embiid straight up over scottie?

The team I'm mostly concerned about is Boston. They have found a groove and might be peaking at just the right time. Their D is killer, they have a tremendous scorer in Tatum, who seems to get what he wants against us, and have the defenders to slow pascal. A 4-5 first round match up with them might be worst case scenario for me.
        Agreed. Nick has a set gameplan on defending Giannis and Embiid and Gasol or no Gasol, its been successful over the years. Harden isn't his superstar self anymore either.

Boston is peaking at the right time and 2 high caliber wings is tough to play against. Raptors also struggle with the high energy garbage man big men like Robert Williams.

Best case scenario is we play the Sixers and worst case is Boston.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Agreed. Nick has a set gameplan on defending Giannis and Embiid and Gasol or no Gasol, its been successful over the years. Harden isn't his superstar self anymore either.

Boston is peaking at the right time and 2 high caliber wings is tough to play against. Raptors also struggle with the high energy garbage man big men like Robert Williams.

Best case scenario is we play the Sixers and worst case is Boston.
          I don't feel great about meeting the Bucks. They are a little under the radar this season, but they know what they have to do and how to get it done, and they've also ramped it up after a relatively slow start. They really just need to avoid a half court offense initiated by Giannis attempting to barrel down the lane against us.

But I'm also not as concerned about the nets as most. Kyrie might very well be the most skilled in the game with the ball in his hands, but damn, they don't win much with him in the lineup. Its all about Durant in BKN, and Durant playing near his best might be enough to get through the east, but there's not a lot of quality help on that team. I think we'd have a chance against them.

Comment

I don't feel great about meeting the Bucks. They are a little under the radar this season, but they know what they have to do and how to get it done, and they've also ramped it up after a relatively slow start. They really just need to avoid a half court offense initiated by Giannis attempting to barrel down the lane against us.

But I'm also not as concerned about the nets as most. Kyrie might very well be the most skilled in the game with the ball in his hands, but damn, they don't win much with him in the lineup. Its all about Durant in BKN, and Durant playing near his best might be enough to get through the east, but there's not a lot of quality help on that team. I think we'd have a chance against them.
            Brooklyn needs to face either bucks or celtics in round 1, to ensure one of the 3 titans goes down early. Every other team is very beatable imo
            9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

If healthy, the small lineup is clearly the starting unit IMO. Precious and boucher first off the bench, followed by Thad, a few minutes for Flynn ( hopefully) and birch situationately. I'm not overly concerned about Embiid even against that small lineup as our trapping and collective defense seems to slow him down enough. Now if he can find a way to beat the trap and get the ball to harden or Maxey, an adjustment may have to follow. But realistically, how much better of a job can birch do on embiid straight up over scottie?

I agree that this is clear, that they will start the small group.

I just wish it was clear that it was a good idea. They've played 300 minutes together now, and are still not quite a break even lineup.

Now, the Birch lineups have also been about as poor. But at least you are buying a few minutes for one of those heavy minute guys if you are getting the same outcome. Leaving aside that the small 5 get crushed out the gate consistently and save their net rating back near break even because they play well later in games, not exactly the quality you seek out in a starting group.

But the reality is they will probably stick with it, so the hope is they just get better, even if there is little evidence that they are trending that way.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

That was the injured version of Embiid.
                If he stays like that in the playoffs, I agree we have a shot.
                But a healthy Embiid is almost unstoppable.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I agree that this is clear, that they will start the small group.

I just wish it was clear that it was a good idea. They've played 300 minutes together now, and are still not quite a break even lineup.

Now, the Birch lineups have also been about as poor. But at least you are buying a few minutes for one of those heavy minute guys if you are getting the same outcome. Leaving aside that the small 5 get crushed out the gate consistently and save their net rating back near break even because they play well later in games, not exactly the quality you seek out in a starting group.

But the reality is they will probably stick with it, so the hope is they just get better, even if there is little evidence that they are trending that way.
                  I understand your reasoning in wanting to change the starters; net rating at the beginning of the game is poor, change the lineup. Nothing illogical about that.

As someone that has worked with youth and young adults in sports as well as other settings, I have another theory for the relatively poor starts. It has to do with rhythm, and is more intangible. Players have a pre-game ritual. Everything factors in on how they start the game: from what they eat, to what they listen to on their headphones, to what teammates say in the huddle, to the introductions, to how motivated/energized/prepared the coach gets you (every player having a different personality and responding to differently to different things), to the type of crowd (or lack thereof)

There's a multitude of behind-the-scenes stuff we don't know about, and that the cold hard data would be hard pressed to fully capture. It often gets abbreviated as "the coach had (or didn't have) the team ready to play", but it's a whole universe. Raptors are one of the youngest teams in the league. Yes they're pros, but sometimes some of these things can influence how guys in their mid-twenties play the first 8 minutes of a game in front of thousands (then incidentally two days later in front of nobody, then thousands again).

It's not the first Raptor five-some that have started games relatively slowly, unfortunately. I'm not going to pretend to know exactly what it is pre-game and this is just a theory (as is everything that fans write here), but to me that can explain why (a) that lineup is relatively cold at first, but after some rhythm gets hot (with the same combination of players); and why (b) a lineup with birch starting have also been about as poor. To me we are more likely to fix that by addressing whatever it is that's preventing them from coming in pumped to start games, than we are by taking a good player out of the starting lineup and replace it with a worse one (eg birch)

There are also practical factors beyond this season. If there's a change in the starters with everyone healthy, it's by sitting Trent or Barnes. One is the best SG we've had since Derozan, a rare 2-way player capable of creating his own shot from multiple areas of the floor and hit clutch shots, at age 23, who is happy and wants to be here if we play our cards right. The other is the 4th overall pick, potential future franchise player that can play 1 thru 5 and guard 1 thru 5, in a dead-heat race for rookie of the year. With 9 games left Nurse won't (and given all that, shouldn't) sit one of them because the net rating of his 5 best players is not as good to start the game as it is at the end. Again, I totally get the rational behind it, but like others here I just don't see a change this season.

Comment

Working...
                  X