Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Everything Playoffs 2022 (Non-Raptors Thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

Theyd jack up the prices.....and itd be even harder to afford to see a game. Rather they play more and increase the roster spots. Play more end of bench thru the year. Rest guys
    The easiest low impact answer is just starting the season earlier so there are more rest days.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Theyd jack up the prices.....and itd be even harder to afford to see a game. Rather they play more and increase the roster spots. Play more end of bench thru the year. Rest guys
      Crazy high ticket prices is only a problem in a few cities, Toronto being one of them. With a shorter season there would still be affordable tickets in 75% of the arenas.

Also no one wants to pay to see bench guys play live, and no one wants to watch bench guys on TV.

Comment

The NFL has a successful model, and they only play like 9 home games a year. The NFL makes its money from tv deals, advertising and gambling.

I get that the NBA is not in the same ballpark. But there should be avenues to make money without just relying on gate receipts and owners having to increase ticket prices to make ends meet. There has to be a model out there that can get them money but also save their players from getting so beat up when the games actually do count. Or not, and we'll continue to see important players not playing in big games.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

The easiest low impact answer is just starting the season earlier so there are more rest days.
          I think the players enjoy having longer off seasons so they can prepare their bodies for the following season. If they shorten that, wouldn't there be a potential for more injuries even if there are less back to backs? I don't know if that's the easy answer either.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

The NFL has a successful model, and they only play like 9 home games a year. The NFL makes its money from tv deals, advertising and gambling.

I get that the NBA is not in the same ballpark. But there should be avenues to make money without just relying on gate receipts and owners having to increase ticket prices to make ends meet. There has to be a model out there that can get them money but also save their players from getting so beat up when the games actually do count. Or not, and we'll continue to see important players not playing in big games.
            The NFL literally just added an extra game to increase revenue. If it was phsycially possible to play football multiple times per week you can bet your ass they would have 2 games per week. It's all about squeezing as much revenue as possible, no sports league is going to reduce the amount of games.

Also owners aren't just making ends meet. They're making money hand over fist, they just want even more, it's never enough. They will raise ticket prices as much as possible and squeeze fans for all their worth. With Toronto having such a large population and so many people with lots of disposable income, ticket prices are only moving one way and that's up.

Comment

What Primer said, but also ticket sales are a ways down the list of the Revenue makers for owners I believe. Even for the Raptors who are consistently near the top in terms of average ticket prices. It's the TV deals, merchandise, sponsors, etc. that get it done for them.

I honestly don't think anything will change on this though.
              Last edited by Joey; Fri May 27, 2022, 11:56 AM.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Two words ..... Players Union
                Five more words .... What's In It For Me? (See above)

Players would welcome less games or more rest; just not a longer season.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Two words ..... Players Union
                  Five more words .... What's In It For Me? (See above)

Players would welcome less games or more rest; just not a longer season.
                  Turner had to move its Thursday night broadcasts cause of the NFL this year - would the NBA and its tv partners want additional head to head competition with the NFL? There's also costs and scheduling complications with a longer season. I'm not sure the NBA wants a longer season.

Comment

I think the players enjoy having longer off seasons so they can prepare their bodies for the following season. If they shorten that, wouldn't there be a potential for more injuries even if there are less back to backs? I don't know if that's the easy answer either.
                    There's already a two month difference between the offseason for a Finals team and a non-playoff team.

I don't think a shorter offseason would be detrimental in that way. But I do think you are right that the players would push back on it, because they value their offseason.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post

What Primer said, but also ticket sales are a ways down the list of the Revenue makers for owners I believe. Even for the Raptors who are consistently near the top in terms of average ticket prices. It's the TV deals, merchandise, sponsors, etc. that get it done for them.

I honestly don't think anything will change on this though.
                      Traditionally about 1/4 of NBA revenues are from gate receipts. Merchandise is about 1/8th of revenues, typically. About 1/3 is the national TV deal, and if you include local TV deals, that increases to about 1/2 of revenues. The rest is primarily sponsorships.

Also, sponsorship agreements, TV deals, even merchandise and food sales, all of these things are at least partially tied to number of games to pull value from. The NFL is a different equation entirely. The NBA's market value lies in the number of nights they can fill for their TV partners. More total eyes means more advertising opportunity, both for the TV partners to sell ad space and for the direct sponsors. The national TV deal, they can certainly maintain by just shifting different games into those slots, but the local deals would drop in value, as would ticketing, local sponsor and merchandise revenues.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• This is like drinking vinegar but it looks like the Chowders are heading to the Finals against the Chardonnay Warriors. Heat Culture suffers from the same flaw as the pre championship raptors. You never had the best player on the floor late in a playoff run.

So who ya got in the Finals...
                        Chowdah or Chardonnay?

Chowdahs

God I hope this ages well.
                        There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                        - TGO

Comment

• I can't believe the Heat pulled that off. My guy Jimmy Buckets who's clearly injured put up a legendary performance!
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                            I can't believe the Heat pulled that off. My guy Jimmy Buckets who's clearly injured put up a legendary performance!
                            it was absurd. one of the best individual games i can remember. lowry also showed out despite the fact he can barely move.

draymond's a genius though. couldn't say who they really wanna play, so he gave the ultimate bulletin board material.

Comment

• For those that forget, Jimmy Buckets is the dog you want on your team. Still looking for a Celtics Final but that kind of chip-on-the-shoulder guy is what the Raptors need.

Comment

• Go Heat bitch.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X