Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • golden
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    They lost against Miami coz JV got hurt.
    JV was averaging double doubles in ppg and rebs throughout the playoffs.
    DeMarre was a good 3 &D at that time, Scola was washed yes, but still good.
    ??? I think you're mis-remembering 2016. JV got hurt and we still won. It was round 2.

    The year Casey went to the ECF.....

    Round 1: Beat Pacers 4-3
    Round 2: Beat Heat 4-3
    ECF: Lost to Cavs 2-4

    https://www.basketball-reference.com.../TOR/2016.html


    Last edited by golden; Sun Sep 25, 2022, 02:34 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kagemusha
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    Nah. JV started 3 games and played 101 minutes vs. Heat. Biz started 4 games and played 181 minutes.

    Biz carried them more than JV in the Heat series. Which is still besides the point.

    In what universe, can a team have Luis Scola, DeMarre Carroll and Biz starting a single NBA playoff game.... let alone make the ECF? The excuses for Nurse most likely losing with that roster would be off the charts.
    They lost against Miami coz JV got hurt.
    JV was averaging double doubles in ppg and rebs throughout the playoffs.
    DeMarre was a good 3 &D at that time, Scola was washed yes, but still ok
    Last edited by Kagemusha; Sun Sep 25, 2022, 02:11 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • golden
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    Yeah.
    So it was not Biz that carried is in that playoffs as Golden said.
    JV was actually terrific in that playoffs.
    Nah. JV started 3 games and played 101 minutes vs. Heat. Biz started 4 games and played 181 minutes.

    Biz carried them more than JV in the Heat series. Which is still besides the point.

    In what universe, can a team have Luis Scola, DeMarre Carroll and Biz starting a single NBA playoff game.... let alone make the ECF? The excuses for Nurse most likely losing with that roster would be off the charts.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

    hardheaded doesn't mean trash though... you are aware of the difference right?
    I thought you wanted to move on?

    "Trash" is an exaggeration. I do know many Raptor fans celebrated when Casey was fired. A lot don't like him at all. Like he's one of the worst coach's in the league. I don't just read this forum either.

    This community has like 15-20 posters in it. I bet half of them don't like Casey at all.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    Yeah.
    So it was not Biz that carried is in that playoffs as Golden said.
    JV was actually terrific in that playoffs.
    yes but jv got injured sadly... offensively JV always showed up... defensively he wasn't "exposed" but had problems. The real issue is they made him gain too much weight and slowed him down.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    A.I wrote: View Post

    There isn't a compelling argument, which is why I said you either agree with it or not based on Casey's flaws.

    There are too many variables in play. Player's minutes, rotations, etc. Every coach is different and have different philosophies. Some would make it work, some wouldn't. With some luck, everything fell perfectly in place with Nick and the team.
    this is exactly it.. it plays a role but to what extent we dont know.. but it definitely matters. all of it matters... but to get down to an exact % of impact ... you would have to basically model life down ... in which case you woulid be up for some nobel prize in mathematics and statistics.

    Leave a comment:


  • TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post


    I started my rant when you basically said this here:




    I took this to thinking you thought I was out to lunch when I said coaching doesn't really matter. And I wanted to keep explaining why I thought that.

    Casey being "hard headed" and then bringing up the Bebe run was exactly what I went on about. How is what I said a strawman? What goal posts did I move? Nurse is hard headed too.. damn all coach's are. Didn't McCaw play a lot for no reason?

    As for "trash".. umm.. many posters here don't like Casey. Dan called him unprepared. AI talked about that too. You called him hard headed.. and brought up the fact that you wouldn't forgive him for that Bebe run.. by the way that did happen in 2018. What season were you talking about? And yeah I exaggerate a bit in my posts.. everyone does to make their argument.

    You talk about not having in game adjustments.. Casey made those too. Raptors were infamous for losing the first game in series, yet won a lot of them under Casey. You wouldn't think the team would adjust after losing their first game? When you start bringing up specific anecdotes like Bebe, I'll talk about Nurse's decisions as well to be fair. Why is that off base? And you know what.. players adjust themselves. Most players can think for themselves and aren't robots. If they did something and it caused the team to lose, they collectively might try something else to try and win. Why is it all on the coach? DeMar and Lowry always looked so defeated when playing the Cavs. Lowry still looked that way against the 76ers after going down 2-1 in 2019.


    Bud maybe did make changes.. although that was likely because of injury (Lopez got hurt). I would imagine Casey would also have a different game plan if he had Gasol instead of JV or Kawhi instead of DeMar.

    As for the Boston situation.. sure the off court drama stuff might impact them.. but they also have a room full of vets.. so it might not. We'll see what happens. I'm predicting that all will be fine over there. I already touched on this. What more do you want to talk about on this?

    You want to move on, but you keep bringing this stuff up lol.
    hardheaded doesn't mean trash though... you are aware of the difference right?

    Leave a comment:


  • TrueTorontoFan
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post


    I started my rant when you basically said this here:




    I took this to thinking you thought I was out to lunch when I said coaching doesn't really matter. And I wanted to keep explaining why I thought that.

    Casey being "hard headed" and then bringing up the Bebe run was exactly what I went on about. How is what I said a strawman? What goal posts did I move? Nurse is hard headed too.. damn all coach's are. Didn't McCaw play a lot for no reason?

    As for "trash".. umm.. many posters here don't like Casey. Dan called him unprepared. AI talked about that too. You called him hard headed.. and brought up the fact that you wouldn't forgive him for that Bebe run.. by the way that did happen in 2018. What season were you talking about? And yeah I exaggerate a bit in my posts.. everyone does to make their argument.

    You talk about not having in game adjustments.. Casey made those too. Raptors were infamous for losing the first game in series, yet won a lot of them under Casey. You wouldn't think the team would adjust after losing their first game? When you start bringing up specific anecdotes like Bebe, I'll talk about Nurse's decisions as well to be fair. Why is that off base? And you know what.. players adjust themselves. Most players can think for themselves and aren't robots. If they did something and it caused the team to lose, they collectively might try something else to try and win. Why is it all on the coach? DeMar and Lowry always looked so defeated when playing the Cavs. Lowry still looked that way against the 76ers after going down 2-1 in 2019.


    Bud maybe did make changes.. although that was likely because of injury (Lopez got hurt). I would imagine Casey would also have a different game plan if he had Gasol instead of JV or Kawhi instead of DeMar.

    As for the Boston situation.. sure the off court drama stuff might impact them.. but they also have a room full of vets.. so it might not. We'll see what happens. I'm predicting that all will be fine over there. I already touched on this. What more do you want to talk about on this?

    You want to move on, but you keep bringing this stuff up lol.
    I was responding to you nd reread the string of the conversation

    Leave a comment:


  • A.I
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

    Nurse didn't invent the Giannis wall. Brad Stevens tried that the series before, but he had weak defensive links, like Kyrie, Rozier & Hayward. The Raptors had zero weak defensive links. Like I said... it could be the deepest defensive championship team of all time. And with Giannis, since you are protecting the paint... and scrambling to guard open 3-pt shooters... you can't have any weak links.

    Adjustments mean diddly squat if you don't have the personnel to execute. And if you have that elite personnel in the first place, you probably won't have to adjust that much anyway. The only thing Nurse has shown is that he can take a deep, stacked defensive/2-way roster over the finish line, when he doesn't have to go through Lebron & KD.

    Like PM, I don't see any compelling argument that coaches like: Bud, Vogel, Lue, Casey, McMillan, Kidd, Monty Williams, Udoka, Brad Stevens, etc.., etc... couldn't have done the same with the roster Nurse was gifted.
    There isn't a compelling argument, which is why I said you either agree with it or not based on Casey's flaws.

    There are too many variables in play. Player's minutes, rotations, etc. Every coach is different and have different philosophies. Some would make it work, some wouldn't. With some luck, everything fell perfectly in place with Nick and the team.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    Yeah.
    So it was not Biz that carried is in that playoffs as Golden said.
    JV was actually terrific in that playoffs.
    Biz still needed to help beat Miami and the two games against the Cavs. I guess both Biz and JV lead them to the ECF. Either way that's still a pretty weak roster. We all love JV here but he's no super star player or anything.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kagemusha
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

    Yeah sorry.. Miami not Indiana. It was I think in game 3 when it happened.
    Yeah.
    So it was not Biz that carried is in that playoffs as Golden said.
    JV was actually terrific in that playoffs.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    I thought it was in the 2016 ECF game vs Miami where he sprained his ankle

    https://www.basketball-reference.com...elog-playoffs/
    Yeah sorry.. Miami not Indiana. It was I think in game 3 when it happened.

    Leave a comment:


  • Kagemusha
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

    Yeah.. he hurt his ankle against Indiana. This was in 2016. You don't remember?
    I thought it was in the 2016 ECF game vs Miami where he sprained his ankle

    https://www.basketball-reference.com...elog-playoffs/

    Leave a comment:


  • A.I
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post

    Yeah.. he hurt his ankle against Indiana. This was in 2016. You don't remember?
    He got hurt in Game 3 of the Miami series I believe. He played all 7 games in the Pacers series. He was fantastic in those Playoffs before he got hurt.

    Leave a comment:


  • planetmars
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

    Lol
    did JV get injured in that playoffs?
    Yeah.. he hurt his ankle against Indiana. This was in 2016. You don't remember?

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X