Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Choosing Ayton over Turner would be silly from team building standpoint. 2.5 years age difference is nothing when both players are in their early to mid 20’s.

    Turner fits the modern NBA more than Ayton does. Ayton also has effort and work ethic concerns.

    Indiana does have the cap room to make the move, so you want to maximize that Ayton’s still a good asset, but is that contract a positive asset in a trade down the road. I think I’d rather keep Turner and trade Ayton when the time comes.

    Comment


    • If I’m Indy I would just offer Ayton the max and not negotiate with Phoenix. If Phoenix resigns him then, oh well. Plus it fucks with Phoenix's cap sheet.

      Comment


      • The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post



        So you think, Indiana will sign Ayton the max and have two options after that:

        1. Keep Turner’s salary ($18M per) and Ayton’s possible max of ($33M per) = $50M for two centers who will fight for the starter role

        or

        2. Keep Ayton but Trade Turner for an Actual Return ($18 million worth of salary)

        that is fine

        but do you think those two options is a wise move financially?
        What is the relevance of the quoted and bolded text? Ayton still can't get that bigger deal in a sign and trade, only if he stays with the Suns.

        And yes. Being dramatically under the cap just means you have to pay cash at the end of the year to get up to the floor. There is no reason for the Pacers to entertain a sign and trade unless they are convinced the Suns will match a max offer, which is the opposite of every signal they've been sending for months.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

        Comment


        • saints91 wrote: View Post
          Choosing Ayton over Turner would be silly from team building standpoint. 2.5 years age difference is nothing when both players are in their early to mid 20’s.

          Turner fits the modern NBA more than Ayton does. Ayton also has effort and work ethic concerns.

          Indiana does have the cap room to make the move, so you want to maximize that Ayton’s still a good asset, but is that contract a positive asset in a trade down the road. I think I’d rather keep Turner and trade Ayton when the time comes.
          Myles Turner is made of glass though. Constantly injured. 47 games in 2021, 42 games in 2022.

          Really need to compare their stats too, Ayton is much better on paper.

          17.2 pts vs 12.9 pts, advantage Ayton
          10.2 reb vs 7.1 reb, advantage Ayton
          1.4 ast vs 1 ast, advantage Ayton
          .634 FG% vs .509 FG%, advantage Ayton
          .656 vs .615 TS%, advantage Ayton
          124 vs 117 ORTG, advantage Ayton
          105 vs 111 DRTG, advantage Ayton
          21.9 vs 17.4 PER, advantage Ayton

          These are on identical minutes last season. If you look at career numbers it's even more in favor of Ayton.

          If Ayton adds a 3-ball, which I'm sure he can since he's a good FT shooter and shot .368 from 3 last season, he's better everywhere except blocks.
          Last edited by Primer; Fri Jul 8, 2022, 02:01 PM.

          Comment


          • Off topic - Matt Devlin's son has been drafted by the Pittsburgh Penguins.
            Mamba Mentality

            Comment


            • Primer wrote: View Post

              Do you really think that though? I don't think NBA teams give a flying shit where the players played college ball. I can't see that moving the needle on attendance numbers. Maybe if they were a local legend but OG is not that for Indiana.
              Well a happy Friday to you too.

              Comment


              • Primer wrote: View Post

                Myles Turner is made of glass though. Constantly injured. 47 games in 2021, 42 games in 2022.

                Really need to compare their stats too, Ayton is much better on paper.

                17.2 pts vs 12.9 pts, advantage Ayton
                10.2 reb vs 7.1 reb, advantage Ayton
                1.4 ast vs 1 ast, advantage Ayton
                .634 FG% vs .509 FG%, advantage Ayton
                .656 vs .615 TS%, advantage Ayton
                124 vs 117 ORTG, advantage Ayton
                105 vs 111 DRTG, advantage Ayton
                21.9 vs 17.4 PER, advantage Ayton

                These are on identical minutes last season. If you look at career numbers it's even more in favor of Ayton.

                If Ayton adds a 3-ball, which I'm sure he can since he's a good FT shooter and shot .368 from 3 last season, he's better everywhere except blocks.
                Yup, Ayton is better, but double the money better? Also using that much of your available cap on a 5 (with exception Jokic and Embiid, which Ayton is not) is not ideal in todays NBA.

                Comment


                • You have a good point about Turner’s injury concerns

                  Comment




                  • We still have to sign Koloko, no? Trade incoming?

                    Comment


                    • For non-KD news, from HoopsRumors.com


                      The Raptors have signed free agent forward D.J. Wilson to a multiyear contract, the team announced today in a press release.
                      It’s a reunion for the Raptors and Wilson, who signed three 10-day contracts and appeared in four games with Toronto in 2021/22. He played well in his limited run with the club, averaging 7.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 1.3 steals in 13.5 minutes per game while knocking down 11-of-15 shots (73.3%).
                      Wilson was released from his third and final 10-day contract with the Raptors in March after injuring his knee.
                      A year ago, the Raptors signed several free agents to multiyear deals with small partial guarantees in the first season and had them compete for spots on the 15-man regular season roster. Terms of Wilson’s contract aren’t yet known, but it’s possible the team will take the same route this year.
                      Currently, Toronto has 12 players on fully guaranteed standard contracts, with Dalano Banton and Armoni Brooks on partially guaranteed deals. Second-rounder Christian Koloko is also likely in line for a spot on the 15-man regular season roster, which would leave just two openings available for Banton, Brooks, Wilson, and any other free agents the Raptors may sign before the season.
                      Of course, with the Raptors still being linked to the Kevin Durant sweepstakes, it’s possible the roster could undergo more significant changes by the fall.


                      Comment


                      • Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                        For non-KD news, from HoopsRumors.com


                        The Raptors have signed free agent forward D.J. Wilson to a multiyear contract, the team announced today in a press release.
                        It’s a reunion for the Raptors and Wilson, who signed three 10-day contracts and appeared in four games with Toronto in 2021/22. He played well in his limited run with the club, averaging 7.5 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 1.3 steals in 13.5 minutes per game while knocking down 11-of-15 shots (73.3%).
                        Wilson was released from his third and final 10-day contract with the Raptors in March after injuring his knee.
                        A year ago, the Raptors signed several free agents to multiyear deals with small partial guarantees in the first season and had them compete for spots on the 15-man regular season roster. Terms of Wilson’s contract aren’t yet known, but it’s possible the team will take the same route this year.
                        Currently, Toronto has 12 players on fully guaranteed standard contracts, with Dalano Banton and Armoni Brooks on partially guaranteed deals. Second-rounder Christian Koloko is also likely in line for a spot on the 15-man regular season roster, which would leave just two openings available for Banton, Brooks, Wilson, and any other free agents the Raptors may sign before the season.
                        Of course, with the Raptors still being linked to the Kevin Durant sweepstakes, it’s possible the roster could undergo more significant changes by the fall.

                        Good news!

                        Comment


                        • Two year min (so no exception use) and 250k guarantee is a little higher than usual but absorbable if we stay pat and have to waive a few of those guys and still stay under the tax, since our MLE signing came in cheaper than expected.

                          Koloko waits until they know if they have the full MLE or need to go past the hard cap it would trigger in a Durant trade, and otherwise just signs a two year if they don't have MLE to use. Adding more wing depth for the offseason so they can pull a 5 for 1 or 6 for 2 deal for Durant is very smart, if they are willing to spend medium sized guarantees like this to get the guys they want locked in.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

                          Comment



                          • DanH wrote: View Post
                            I can definitely see why PHX would do a SnT with Indy. Absolutely. Heck, they can probably roll it into a Durant deal.

                            But why would Indy do that? They should be trying to trade Turner for value, not just get him out of the way to pay a different guy more money. Why not just make the offer sheet, then see if you can flip Turner for, say, Gary Trent? Or even filler and a pick.
                            DanH wrote: View Post

                            What is the relevance of the quoted and bolded text? Ayton still can't get that bigger deal in a sign and trade, only if he stays with the Suns.

                            And yes. Being dramatically under the cap just means you have to pay cash at the end of the year to get up to the floor. There is no reason for the Pacers to entertain a sign and trade unless they are convinced the Suns will match a max offer, which is the opposite of every signal they've been sending for months.
                            This chronic sickness of yours in this forum of you being dismissive of someone’s opinion that does align with yours is hilarious, but I don’t want to push this because some of your echo chamber members will push back again lol.

                            I am just pointing out the dollars involved why I bolded the quote

                            From the very beginning of this discussion, maybe Indiana may have an ill agenda that you don’t take into account, they might just be willing to get Turner out of the way and not deal him somewhere else to take on more money. They just want Ayton badly but dealing Turner the other way to Phoenix.


                            #TradeVanVleet

                            Comment


                            • The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post




                              This chronic sickness of yours in this forum of you being dismissive of someone’s opinion that does align with yours is hilarious, but I don’t want to push this because some of your echo chamber members will push back again lol.

                              I am just pointing out the dollars involved why I bolded the quote

                              From the very beginning of this discussion, maybe Indiana may have an ill agenda that you don’t take into account, they might just be willing to get Turner out of the way and not deal him somewhere else to take on more money. They just want Ayton badly but dealing Turner the other way to Phoenix.

                              To be clear, your position is that the Pacers would be better off to dump Turner for nothing than to try to trade him for something?

                              Again, with the bold, what dollars are involved? Phoenix was never going to offer the 5 year deal, so the dollars involved for Ayton are identical whether he signs directly with Indy or gets a sign and trade there (or anywhere else).
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

                              Comment


                              • So unless there’s some sort of multi-man trade Champagnie and either Brooks or Wilson ain’t making the final squad?
                                The name's Bond, James Bond.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X