Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

    Its what they settled for.
    They were in on the Gobert sweepstakes till the prices got goofy.

    We are fans and unbridled optimists....

    However.....
    Just remember that Embiid bulled and bullied us at will in the paint during round one to boot us out last year and a couple of regular season games where that noted all nba 5 Dwayne Dedmon punked us.
    In the playoffs.. in a previous post... the guys lining up at the five outweigh Achiwua or Pascal or Scottie by 30 to 50 pounds.
    Its almost impossible to move your opponent with that weight disadvantage no matter how you leverage your position..... and when you can't move that guy off the spot....the rebounds dry up and the second chance points flow.

    being interested in a center doesn't mean they aren't into positionless.... and masai and bobby have both stated that there are few times you have an opportunity to get a guy who is top 5 at his position and if you have an opportunity you go for it. But also they didn't go all in on rudy either otherwise he would be a raptor since it was reported that utah was interested in OG and GTJ. Being interested and calling is one thing pulling the trigger is another.... but also it could be explained by them being interested in getting an overall talent upgrade period end of story. Rudy is incredible defensively... even if he got schemed out little bit it may not necessarily be his fault because of how bad utah was... at the same time on offence it would have been a bad fit IN MY OPINION.



    Joel embiid gets worn down over the course of a game which is why they limit his minutes to the low 30's during the season and even during the off season he never touched 40.

    Comment


    • planetmars wrote: View Post

      On the other hand neither Jokic or Embiid has gone far in the playoffs. Raptors were down 0-3 but made it a series anyway. Giannis did win a championship, but then also lost in the 2nd round last season.

      And then the championship team this year used an undersized big as their center.

      The common key to winning a championship is that you have to have a star player. Raptors don't have that quite yet. Hopefully Scottie becomes that guy, but ultimately having a starting caliber 7ftr on the roster isn't going to make that much of a difference until they do.
      I don't think Giannis fits into Kag or Demographics definition because he fits more into a positionless mold he just happens to have grown to be taller

      Comment


      • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

        I don't think Giannis fits into Kag or Demographics definition because he fits more into a positionless mold he just happens to have grown to be taller
        Yeah.. hes a 7 foot 245 pound guy who happens to play in front of the rim as he moves 6 feet on either side of it. .
        And with the 4th overall pick the Toronto Raptors select..... Scottie Barnes.

        Comment


        • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

          Yeah.. hes a 7 foot 245 pound guy who happens to play in front of the rim as he moves 6 feet on either side of it. .
          he wasn't always when he got into the league he was not 7 feet .. he was 6'9 but was 18 and got a growth spurt... Scottie is 6'10 now apparently and if you haven't been keeping up with the rico hines videos he has been looking like a man among boys


          235 now too... so... yeah not sure what to tell you other than to look out and be moderately patient for greatness.


          Edit* just looked it up he was measured at 6'8.5... Tatum went through a growth spurt too.. If you keep looking forward you will miss out on the journey and not appreciate the greatness occurring before your eyes.
          Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Fri Aug 5, 2022, 08:43 PM.

          Comment


          • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

            he wasn't always when he got into the league he was not 7 feet .. he was 6'9 but was 18 and got a growth spurt... Scottie is 6'10 now apparently and if you haven't been keeping up with the rico hines videos he has been looking like a man among boys


            235 now too... so... yeah not sure what to tell you other than to look out and be moderately patient for greatness.


            Edit* just looked it up he was measured at 6'8.5... Tatum went through a growth spurt too.. If you keep looking forward you will miss out on the journey and not appreciate the greatness occurring before your eyes.
            When and where was this? At the combine he was 6'7" barefoot and 225lbs. so 235 is nothing special, but i would love to know if he added actual height.
            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

            Comment


            • WJF wrote: View Post

              When and where was this? At the combine he was 6'7" barefoot and 225lbs. so 235 is nothing special, but i would love to know if he added actual height.
              when and where was what? you mean Scottie or Giannis?


              Comment


              • Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

                Its what they settled for.
                They were in on the Gobert sweepstakes till the prices got goofy.

                We are fans and unbridled optimists....

                However.....
                Just remember that Embiid bulled and bullied us at will in the paint during round one to boot us out last year and a couple of regular season games where that noted all nba 5 Dwayne Dedmon punked us.
                In the playoffs.. in a previous post... the guys lining up at the five outweigh Achiwua or Pascal or Scottie by 30 to 50 pounds.
                Its almost impossible to move your opponent with that weight disadvantage no matter how you leverage your position..... and when you can't move that guy off the spot....the rebounds dry up and the second chance points flow.

                Would they add a star C if they got a chance? Sure! Will they inquire on guys who might be available cheap? Of course! Will they spend real assets to add some bigger body to address your concerns? Sure seems like the answer is no! Because Precious is very capable of taking the primary defensive load dealing with big C's, and they don't want to run a defensive system where anyone is working in isolation anyway.

                I didn't think Embiid bullying us in the paint was really the driver of that series. We were hurt and shorthanded and thin to start with. Heck Precious on Embiid was basically the one consistently good thing in that series.
                Last edited by DanH; Fri Aug 5, 2022, 11:37 PM.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

                Comment


                • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post



                  considering the final four teams trended towards it I would argue that it works just fine... we were a young team.... so I dont know about this.




                  Another thing is positionless with long wing spans helps solve the geometry problem caused by the spacing of teams like golden state by giving you more margin for error since you have longer more athletic players who can close out faster.






                  I think what you and a few others are confusing is small ball with positionless. They are not the same even if they seem similar at first.
                  Celtics plays positionless too.

                  Comment


                  • A.I wrote: View Post

                    Who were the top 4 teams remaining in the Playoffs?

                    Warriors won the championship, no traditional C.
                    Celtics made the Finals, no traditional C (They have Robert Williams who is a fantastic rim protector, but he is 6'8)
                    Heat made the ECF, they have Bam who is a small ball C.
                    Mavs made the WCF and have Kleber who is a decent rim protector and floor spacer.

                    Bigs are nice (Maybe Koloko turns into something good), but the real game changers are wing players, unless you're Curry.

                    Superstar Centers like Embiid and Jokic are a problem, but you won't stop them with just any random 7 footer. It took a former DPOY in Gasol to shut down Embiid, and he has gotten better since then. Neither of them have gone far in the Playoffs either. Jokic hasn't had a good enough team around him and Embiid always ends up injured.
                    I actually 100% don't agree that Joker and Joel are traditional bigs, I only said yes to the fact that they're both 7 footers.
                    But they don't play like the traditional bigs of old.
                    They're modern bigs, especially Jokic.
                    They just happen to be 7 footers.

                    Also, yes the NBA is still a league of superstar guards and wings
                    Last edited by Kagemusha; Sat Aug 6, 2022, 02:16 AM.

                    Comment


                    • Kagemusha wrote: View Post

                      I actually 100% don't agree that Joker and Joel are traditional bigs, I only said yes to the fact that they're both 7 footers.
                      But they play like the traditional bigs of old.
                      They're modern bigs, especially Jokic.
                      They just happen to be 7 footers.

                      Also, yes the NBA is still a league of superstar guards and wings
                      thats exactly it... ppl dont realize... embiid aint normal... he is a generational big.. a cross between hakeem and something else... jokic is unique as well.....

                      Comment


                      • Kagemusha wrote: View Post

                        Celtics plays positionless too.
                        so i guess it can make it into the playoffs just fine

                        Comment


                        • Kagemusha wrote: View Post

                          I actually 100% don't agree that Joker and Joel are traditional bigs, I only said yes to the fact that they're both 7 footers.
                          But they play like the traditional bigs of old.
                          They're modern bigs, especially Jokic.
                          They just happen to be 7 footers.

                          Also, yes the NBA is still a league of superstar guards and wings
                          Fair enough. Both can handle the ball, make passes, etc.

                          Superstar wings usually end up winning championships (Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, KD). Its been a long time since a team revolved around a superstar big man has. Giannis is a hybrid because he is 7 feet, but he plays like a wing.

                          Comment


                          • A.I wrote: View Post

                            Fair enough. Both can handle the ball, make passes, etc.

                            Superstar wings usually end up winning championships (Giannis, Kawhi, Lebron, KD). Its been a long time since a team revolved around a superstar big man has. Giannis is a hybrid because he is 7 feet, but he plays like a wing.
                            Bud doesn't even use Giannis properly because he should be used as a center but they use him as a wing as you pointed out. Giannis is nutty...

                            Comment


                            • TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

                              Bud doesn't even use Giannis properly because he should be used as a center but they use him as a wing as you pointed out. Giannis is nutty...
                              Because he's a wing. He's a point forward like LeBron.
                              Mamba Mentality

                              Comment


                              • The Great One wrote: View Post

                                Because he's a wing. He's a point forward like LeBron.
                                as he has grown his playmaking skill set.. but just because someone can playmake doesn't mean they are a wing. His game reminds me of a more well rounded mini shaq. Just my opinion.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X