Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
    Delon would be fun but we already have delano. I think you just really have to chase a guy like Harris or if you want ... Dipo. Especially leaving the roster largely as it is.
    Comparing Banton to Delon is borderline craziness. Delon, today doesnt look like Banton who reminds me of Lanny McDonald before he had his skates adjusted.
    Lets see Masai has drafted Banton and Bruno both are 4 years before they are ready to start the process of being in the league.

Raptors require a #3 Guard who can shoot the Rock and a backup to rest FVV who should only play 30 to 32 minutes a game. That is why I would like to see a Brogdon ( only if he is healthy) for Boucher + Birch. Birch + Flynn for Jordan Clarkson and than sign Tyus Jones or Delon Wright to be a backup PG.

Raptors than sign Thad and Precious which fills out the Front Court and allows growth for this team

10 Players is the maximum rotation the rest are bench sitters.

Raptors have a great Core of FVV, Trent Jr, Og, Barnes, Siakam and Precious. Add Thad Young as a playing PF to work with Precious. Than two back court players- PG and SG/SF who can score. Trade for a Clarkson and look for a Dillon Brooks type player.

SIakam and Barnes can play 9 minutes a game at PG.

The other 5 are given time as development players.
    Last edited by Heatdreamer; Fri May 6, 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post

Comparing Banton to Delon is borderline craziness. Delon, today doesnt look like Banton who reminds me of Lanny McDonald before he had his skates adjusted.
      Lets see Masai has drafted Banton and Bruno both are 4 years before they are ready to start the process of being in the league.

Raptors require a #3 Guard who can shoot the Rock and a backup to rest FVV who should only play 30 to 32 minutes a game. That is why I would like to see a Brogdon ( only if he is healthy) for Boucher + Birch. Birch + Flynn for Jordan Clarkson and than sign Tyus Jones or Delon Wright to be a backup PG.

Raptors than sign Thad and Precious which fills out the Front Court and allows growth for this team

10 Players is the maximum rotation the rest are bench sitters.

Raptors have a great Core of FVV, Trent Jr, Og, Barnes, Siakam and Precious. Add Thad Young as a playing PF to work with Precious. Than two back court players- PG and SG/SF who can score. Trade for a Clarkson and look for a Dillon Brooks type player.

SIakam and Barnes can play 9 minutes a game at PG.

The other 5 are given time as development players.

My point was that I don't know if Delon solves a problem he is a good guard and I think he would help but I don't know if he solves the shooting. This is why I keep saying Harris. I like the idea of Coby

Comment

• I got scared there, I thought they deleted the forums.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
          I got scared there, I thought they deleted the forums.
          right?!

Comment

I don't know what did he see in bruno.. things don't always work out.
            Took longer to jettison Bruno though. This is early to give up on a 1st rounder or you missed baaaaad

Comment

This is the second or third time the forums have been down in the last year.
              Why don't they put something about it on the RR homepage (bug, working on it, thanks for patience blah blah) because two emails to their contact given got no reply, same as last time and you're left wondering if it's on your end....

Comment

Weird thing is that there was no mention of it on the main page, damn bush league

Comment

We Back.

But, yeah. Putting something on the main page would be a good idea. I know we’ve already created a to do list for Berta so maybe someone else can do it

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

well that's not exactly what i said because there's that grey area i outlined in the middle of the post, but thank you for reducing it to the basest possible level to make the poster sound as stupid as possible again.

generally though, yeah, i'd lean towards not giving out those contracts in most instances. like rudy would have fallen into that grey area i think at the time he signed his current deal, and i would just prefer depth. for rudy gobert's salary you could have, say, mikal bridges, og anunoby, and pocket change.

obviously it all depends on the specific players in question but in general i think if you can get two really good players for the price of one all star level but not superstar level player, it's a better allocation of resources both from a talent standpoint and a flexibility standpoint (those deals are much easier to trade than gobert's if something you like better comes up).
                    Here's the problem with this: no, you can't. How do you get Mikal Bridges or OG Anunoby for that price if they are not already on your team? If they are already on your team, why not just pay them AND have a Rudy Gobert? If you have that many high value players, you should be thinking about paying the tax and trying to win a chip, no? Once OG and Mikal hit UFA, guess what, they'll be making a lot more than Rudy combined.

Rookie scale and rookie extension contracts basically always look good for value, with some exceptions. If you want any good players after UFA, you are going to have to pay for them. And you won't have an infinite number of rookie scale/extension guys on your team, so unless you are going to wait around until you have a star worth giving the max to, you are just going to bleed talent whenever any of your players get into their prime.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

From a pure salary cap stand point, signing a lower level talent (on a scale of borderline all-star to superstar) to a max contract you are handcuffing your team. Like chris was saying, if that player is entering their prime or has foreseeable upside, you can gamble. It may pay off, it may not.

Gobert (that's the guy we are discussing after all) is a 30 year old centre (in June) and has 4 years left and 41.8M average salary over that time. I think we can agree, he's pretty much the player he is and is going to be. To match his salary, you have to trade one or two of OG, Trent, or Fred, plus other contracts. Luckily we have a ton of depth to pull off that trade. And we bring in another below average shooter, and send out one or two of our above average shooters. Not my preference!
                      Gobert has made the all star team every year for the past three years, all-NBA four of the past 5 years, won DPOY 3 times.

I agree, don't give the max to a borderline all star.

As I said, we can disagree on Gobert's fit. I would certainly not trade two of our core for him, and honestly I would trade none of our core except Trent for him. Trent, filler, prospect, pick. That's the offer, and it's probably not good enough. But if it is good enough, the Raptors should certainly not be turning their nose up at his contract.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Could Thomas Bryant and Otto Porter be options as free agents?

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
                          Could Thomas Bryant and Otto Porter be options as free agents?
                          I mentioned Bryant before I think he would be a good low cost gamble with very very high upside the major downside is his injury history but I think he would help out al to... Porter is not defensively good enough to help

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Took longer to jettison Bruno though. This is early to give up on a 1st rounder or you missed baaaaad
                            is it too early though... Bruno was an experiment and a known experiment that was part of the point.. Flynn wasn't meant to be an experiment. Bruno you know he came in and he was also younger. I think it is time to just move on without the guy. Unless you really think he suddenly gets significantly better. I think its ok if he is packaged in a trade to get someone.

Comment

I mentioned Bryant before I think he would be a good low cost gamble with very very high upside the major downside is his injury history but I think he would help out al to... Porter is not defensively good enough to help
                              Otto is a pretty reliable defender, no? And he can shoot the 3. Not a bad target.

The interesting part of the offseason will be how the team emphasizes talent influx/retention vs salary flexibility moving forward. The MLE level deals are historically the worst value in the league, and we already have one with term on the books (Khem). Do you want a booksheet with 4 of them (Khem, Thad, Boucher, whoever they add with the MLE)? For one season it doesn't matter, but beyond that it really does start to fill up your team with guys who aren't really difference makers. So do they try to find guys who will sign for one year, and pay a premium on the salary relative to talent (ie get a guy who would get less than the MLE if they signed for term; or sign only one of Boucher or Thad to an overpay to get them on shorter term)?
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Everyone has discussed Gobert to death, including myself. An improvement from the bench is the must. Banton is not a NBA player, neither is Champagnie, if we are to remain a bottom tier playoff team than keep two of the above. Basketball is a 10 man rotation (NBA) , with a transition player if one of the Core is injured. But, the strength of the team replacing the Core is from 6-10.
                                Raptors- 6th Man onwards is Precious, Boucher and Thad Young. To me Precious and Boucher are presently the same player, with Precious having a NBA body that Boucher does not. More experience with Boucher. Raptors require a bench, it is my supposition that Birch and Boucher are expendable based on the next two to three years.
                                Thus Sign and Trade Boucher plus Birch ($17 Million) for 22/23. Targets to trade for Dillon Brooks (1 year contract), Alec Burk and Nerlon Noel from the Knicks, or Jordon Clarkson for Boucher straight up.
                                We can all feel emotionally attached to Boucher as he as improved, however, he is 30 years old, and to trade a similar aged ball player who can score more points from the front court and beyond the 3 point line is a valid trade off.
                                If not, how about trading Capella for Boucher and Birch, Atlanta has to revamp. If Atlanta cannot get Gobert with a trade of Capella, Collins plus. Than lets consider an offer for Clint with Boucher and Birch.

Comment

Working...
                                X