No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out with a whimper ... too bad ... but proud of the young team fight back. Look forward to further additions/growth over the summer.

Comment

Guys who will improve a ton this offseason:
      Barnes, Achiuwa, Banton, Champagnie, Johnson

Guys who will improve a good amount:
      Trent, OG, Flynn

Guys who will get a bit better:
      Siakam, Fred

Guys who will become more grizzled vets:
      Boucher, Young, Birch

New Players:
      Draft pick, MLE, UDFA, bring back Jalen Harris

I think this is the plan. If a great trade comes along then by all means let's do it. But there is a ton of improvement and growth already baked into this roster.

Comment

Looking at the free agency list (guards):
        https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/guard/

Bruce Brown, Tyus Jones, Malik Monk all may be available for the MLE.

Maybe someone like Monk goes for more as he took a discount to play in LA last season.

Brown isn't a traditional guard that can shoot but he was great for Brooklyn the past 2 years. He's a playoff performer so gets up for big games.

Tyus Jones really held Memphis together when Ja went down. I'd be surprised if Memphis doesn't bring him back though.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          The Raptors are not trading Fred. Masai is not going to trade a core player this off season.

This is Raptor ball circa 2014. That year we got to a game 7 and lost. And we were the 3rd seed facing the 6th seed.

So stumbled a bit but not really.. Masai did not make any major changes going into 2015.. the year we got swept by the Wizards:

- Drafted Bruno (and Daniels)
          - We traded Salmons for Lou Williams and Bebe
          - Signed James Johnson
          - Signed Jordan Hamilton and Greg Stiemsma

I think the summer will be very similar.

We have Boucher and Thad who'll be free agents (but own their bird rights) and the full non tax-payer MLE. We can also use the BAE but I think that'll likely get us over the tax if we're keeping both Chris and Thad.

No major changes (ie core changes) until maybe next season. By then Fred and Gary are free agents so could end up making drastic changes anyway.

why shouldn't we at least consider it if it leads to something that addresses our problems also bobby has been on the record saying that they prefer to make changes in the off season rather than addressing things during the season.

Comment

Delon Wright is a UFA this summer and may not command much. Would be an interesting relatively low cost add to address the backup PG minutes, he's big and long enough to fit into our defensive concept, and has developed into a pretty reliable shooter, though on medium to low volume.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Going into the offseason I predict it's mainly a "bring it back" scenario. We are too young not to think like that.

In our line-up I think there is only one hardcore untouchable:

Barnes

After that I think there are some very, very close to untouchable:
              Siakam, Precious

Third Tier "No way, unless player X" type players:
              OG, Fred, Trent, Banton (mainly due to age)

I think you need a true Vet, so I think Thad stays.

After that it's filler. A player like Wantanabe can be a 14th, 15th type player off the bench, not a 8, 9th player. We need a better bench. Period. We could use a true centre to give us 6 fouls against a big man like Embiid. A backup or starter 2 guard. A backup PG.

Not looking completely at Free Agency, but also trades I would say some main targets (mostly pipe dreams but we can dream right):
              Doncic (Not happening, but imagine him playing with Barnes)
              SGA (That's when pretty much anyone not named Barnes is up. I would say the second tier is probably off limits here too)
              Barrett (I think a Tier 3 guy and combination of some other players are up here, but probably not enough to get it done)
              Turner (for the right price)

We are not in win now mode, but if we could get a young player that fits in our system, who would grow with what we got going, I think I would make the trade. Other than that, I'm optimistic about what we have.

Comment

Kagemusha wrote: View Post
                Draft a good SG.
                Even if we need to trade a piece to get it,
                I don't care.
                We really need a good young SG prospect.
                Who is a good SG prospect right now in your mind which we could trade for? Just trying to gauge how good of a player your are thinking.

Trent Jr. has shown a lot of promise with his ability to get his own shot off and effort he's put into defense. He's also able to fit seamlessly with the other starters without getting lost in the scheme. Those are big starting points for a young player. He has a lot of upside, but it doesn't seem like a lot of Raps fans are really all that supportive of being patient with him.

Lots to improve on, but it was far from a bad season.

Comment

I definitely think you need to address the scoring issues.

Regarding Trent my main issue is his playmaking decisions. It is the exact reason why he is sometimes inconsistent and streaky. I saw him go and iso against a bunch of guys time after time after time throughout the season and in the series. When he caught the ball in catch-and-shoot situations it was fine. Nurses system is a read and react system. I am someone who believes in the system but you need everyone to be offensively high IQ players for it to work. You can't have one guy playing hero ball. I am not saying that is what lost us yesterday's game, but I think that doesn't lead to good offensive possessions. It is just as bad as guys holding the ball too long and letting the defence get set.

The thing is.. that isn't a "skill" that he has to learn ... that's a consistent mentality, and that is AT BEST two years of development to get it so its part of his game both in terms of skill, and habits. Do you believe that Trent can fit that style and achieve that? It is possible but that is tough as an ask.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

why shouldn't we at least consider it if it leads to something that addresses our problems also bobby has been on the record saying that they prefer to make changes in the off season rather than addressing things during the season.
                    You can consider anything.. I'm just going by the history of our front office and how they do things. This was a rebuild year.. and so will next year. Fred and Pascal and OG are still pretty young. Fred is the captain/team leader.. basically treated like a franchise player. They won't just move on from him.

It's easier to make changes in the off season because more teams are willing to make changes before seasons start and not while the season is being played out. That doesn't mean they are ready or willing to move a core piece just yet.

This front office always exhibits patience. That's their mantra.

I could be wrong, and they could blow this up.. and trade Fred and Pascal and go really young or something. I just don't see it.

Comment

TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      I definitely think you need to address the scoring issues.

Regarding Trent my main issue is his playmaking decisions. It is the exact reason why he is sometimes inconsistent and streaky. I saw him go and iso against a bunch of guys time after time after time throughout the season and in the series. When he caught the ball in catch-and-shoot situations it was fine. Nurses system is a read and react system. I am someone who believes in the system but you need everyone to be offensively high IQ players for it to work. You can't have one guy playing hero ball. I am not saying that is what lost us yesterday's game, but I think that doesn't lead to good offensive possessions. It is just as bad as guys holding the ball too long and letting the defence get set.

The thing is.. that isn't a "skill" that he has to learn ... that's a consistent mentality, and that is AT BEST two years of development to get it so its part of his game both in terms of skill, and habits. Do you believe that Trent can fit that style and achieve that? It is possible but that is tough as an ask.
                      Everyone and I mean everyone around here had their doubts on Siakam during and after the bubble. His handles were shaky, he was falling all over the place and had complete tunnel vision...just a lot of bad decisions.

Everyone doubted him except the people that count in the organization. Well, Siakam looked like he was the best player in the Philly series for large chunks of it. He was toying with the the Philly defense like he did with a lot of teams after the all star break. Point is you gotta allow time for development with young players.

Comment

Never say never.
                        Would there be any possibility of getting Kevin Durant?...There are whispers he wants out..Masai tends 2 work mysterious ways, so this is kinda of thing that would prepel the raptors to championship level.
                        If there is one thing that Masai likes to do is..Surprise us.
                        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                          The Raptors are not trading Fred. Masai is not going to trade a core player this off season.

This is Raptor ball circa 2014. That year we got to a game 7 and lost. And we were the 3rd seed facing the 6th seed.

So stumbled a bit but not really.. Masai did not make any major changes going into 2015.. the year we got swept by the Wizards:

- Drafted Bruno (and Daniels)
                          - We traded Salmons for Lou Williams and Bebe
                          - Signed James Johnson
                          - Signed Jordan Hamilton and Greg Stiemsma

I think the summer will be very similar.

We have Boucher and Thad who'll be free agents (but own their bird rights) and the full non tax-payer MLE. We can also use the BAE but I think that'll likely get us over the tax if we're keeping both Chris and Thad.

No major changes (ie core changes) until maybe next season. By then Fred and Gary are free agents so could end up making drastic changes anyway.

Gotta keep Chris and thad aka turner and hooch together. They figured out a chemistry that was something beautiful to watch. If they brought that into next season chris would be getting 6MOY votes.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                            Never say never.
                            Would there be any possibility of getting Kevin Durant?...There are whispers he wants out..Masai tends 2 work mysterious ways, so this is kinda of thing that would prepel the raptors to championship level.
                            If there is one thing that Masai likes to do is..Surprise us.
                            I'll say never. Durant gave up a dynasty in California because he want to be in Brooklyn with Kyrie. I think there's no chance they trade one of the GOATs while he's still healthy and productive. I think it's likely that Kyrie is back on his option in a prove-it year and they give this trio of Durant/Irving/Simmons a real run with some new supporting cast members. A motivated Kyrie and a sane Simmons with Durant could be lethal.

Comment

It's really too bad Malachi Flynn has so far not been that guy everyone here says we need (shooter, guard, depth ball handler). It's a hole that he's so far failed to fill in multiple opportunities aside from a nice game here or a nice quarter there
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                                It's really too bad Malachi Flynn has so far not been that guy everyone here says we need (shooter, guard, depth ball handler). It's a hole that he's so far failed to fill in multiple opportunities aside from a nice game here or a nice quarter there
                                Yeah time to move on from Flynn, although seems like we already have other than the fact he's still on the roster. If we could do Flynn plus our pick to move up I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Comment

Working...
                                X