Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

Birch, FVV, Terence Davis, Cam Payne and Oshae Brissett were all signed as free agents by Masai.
    Cam Payne hardly played and got cut

Fred’s a special case. Undrafted free agents aren’t similar to signing free agents that have been in the league

Comment

• Ditto for TD there as well

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

Cam Payne hardly played and got cut

Fred’s a special case. Undrafted free agents aren’t similar to signing free agents that have been in the league
        Yep. Those are the highest value free agents.... IF you can develop them. It gives the team so much cap & trade asset flexibility.

Comment

• YEah I think free agents is not what I think of when you look at who we found through scouting and signed from undrafted players. Not the same.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
            YEah I think free agents is not what I think of when you look at who we found through scouting and signed from undrafted players. Not the same.
            Yes. Not the same.... better. Heat and Nuggets are the best at finding & developing those undervalued FA gems now.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

We kick ass in the UDFA department.

Not quite sure Birch is considered a win IMO.
              I think Birch in the buyout market was a clear win. And then the re-signing of Birch is where the value question comes in, but if we are including re-signings in our evaluation then the record looks much better anyway.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yes. Not the same.... better. Heat and Nuggets are the best at finding & developing those undervalued FA gems now.
                That's a completely different class of player acquisition. Every team would love to find diamonds in the rough for no cost, so there is no argument that those guys are great.

The question is whether Toronto can sign a guy like Jimmy Butler or, more relevant this season, can Toronto sign a quality player for the MLE when competing against other teams that can offer that player very similar contracts.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

That's a completely different class of player acquisition. Every team would love to find diamonds in the rough for no cost, so there is no argument that those guys are great.

The question is whether Toronto can sign a guy like Jimmy Butler or, more relevant this season, can Toronto sign a quality player for the MLE when competing against other teams that can offer that player very similar contracts.
                  Answer:> NO.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I think Birch in the buyout market was a clear win. And then the re-signing of Birch is where the value question comes in, but if we are including re-signings in our evaluation then the record looks much better anyway.
                    right but buy out is not the same as straight up free agency

Comment

• the issue i noticed with this forum or rap fans is general is we don’t want to give up anything. why guys like flynn is still on this roster is wired to me from a fan stand point and gm stand point

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                        the issue i noticed with this forum or rap fans is general is we don’t want to give up anything. why guys like flynn is still on this roster is wired to me from a fan stand point and gm stand point
                        I think at the time last year not giving on a cheap prospect who is on a rookie scale deal is ... not really that surprising.. but I think moving forward you have to make a decision... is he worth it or not..

also in general fans don't like giving up players but yes I've noticed this as well. On the flip side some people suggest some wild trades that involve seriously downgrading your overall talent for no particular reason but just to shuffle the deck. I don't think you should trade just for the sake of being able to.

Comment

the issue i noticed with this forum or rap fans is general is we don’t want to give up anything. why guys like flynn is still on this roster is wired to me from a fan stand point and gm stand point
                          Flynn sucks and no one else wants him. Mystery solved.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Flynn sucks and no one else wants him. Mystery solved.
                            harsher than myself but yes. I think the 16 game blip helped him... and maybe a summer league showering will also assist with that but its time we moved on. His dad asking for playing time is all well and good but doesn't change the fact that on this specific team at a minimum .... he isn't a great fit.

Comment

Hmm, well, what do they get for just cutting him? Nothing. So until there is an actual reason to move him, why would they? I'm sure he's very available in trade talks.
                              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Hmm, well, what do they get for just cutting him? Nothing. So until there is an actual reason to move him, why would they? I'm sure he's very available in trade talks.
                                I would be surprised if he is some how on the roster the season after the upcoming one.

Comment

Working...
                                X