X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

Ha, I guess there is one person who said it, Casey's boss who has to justify why he is still the coach.

The full quote adds a bit of needed context.

"I absolutely believe and trust that we have the best coach in the world for what we’re going through."

I agree with that, if you want to place last in the NBA then Casey is the best coach in the world to get you there.
    Oh I see you need a player to say something. Sorry you weren't clear.

Kyle Lowry:

DeMar DeRozan:
    https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bu...ns-dwane-casey

"I wouldn't be the player I am today. I wouldn't be sitting here. I wouldn't have the success I've had in my career if it wasn't for Casey," DeRozan said. "Casey for me is something bigger than a head coach I played for. He was sort of a father figure for me. He kind of allowed me to be myself on the basketball court and allowed me to grow into the player I am today.

I bet I could find some Piston that said the same thing about his coach. I recall when the Raptors lost to the Pistons some of his players were glowing on about him. And that was as recent as last season.

And for that last sentence there.. are you forgetting the time that the Raptors ended up first in the East? Or the time they made the playoffs for 5 straight years including a stint to the ECF? If anything Casey has proven to lead teams in the regular season. And I bet Weaver knows that.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

But doesn't it just make more sense to start big and defensive, as long as your offense doesn't sputter, and pivot to small(er) ball from the bench? Otherwise you're really counting on your starters being crazy good offensively, and not picking up too many fouls competing as best they can on defense and the boards.

I'd rather our mismatches - to start the game at least - gave us the advantage on the interior without being disadvantaged on the perimeter, rather than being disadvantaged on the interior w/ an advantage on the perimeter. I think starting Scotty or OG at the 2 does that.
    It will be very weird if Precious doesn't start. I agree that it makes way more sense to start defensive and bring scoring punch off the bench. There's already a lot of offensive mouths to feed in the starting lineup between Pascal, Fred, OG, and Scottie. All of those guys should average close to 20ppg. Precious is a natural fit with them to defend, rebound, and hit open 3s.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied
    LJ2 wrote: View Post

Might not be fair to put that kind of pressure on Barnes to score. He did a great job of getting his points in the flow of the game last season but to actually be a focal point in the offense? OG might have added something to his game over the summer, buy sometimes it's painful to watch him try and force things. Right now I have OG pegged as a classic role player.

I just think Gary has shown signs he is a natural scorer and it's something this team could use among the starters. Would love to see how good he can be in that role.

Also I disagree about Fred having the firepower to be a 2nd option on a championship team.
    But doesn't it just make more sense to start big and defensive, as long as your offense doesn't sputter, and pivot to small(er) ball from the bench? Otherwise you're really counting on your starters being crazy good offensively, and not picking up too many fouls competing as best they can on defense and the boards.

I'd rather our mismatches - to start the game at least - gave us the advantage on the interior without being disadvantaged on the perimeter, rather than being disadvantaged on the interior w/ an advantage on the perimeter. I think starting Scotty or OG at the 2 does that.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Sep 26, 2022, 05:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied
    Ha, I guess there is one person who said it, Casey's boss who has to justify why he is still the coach.

The full quote adds a bit of needed context.

"I absolutely believe and trust that we have the best coach in the world for what we’re going through."

I agree with that, if you want to place last in the NBA then Casey is the best coach in the world to get you there.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

Might not be fair to put that kind of pressure on Barnes to score. He did a great job of getting his points in the flow of the game last season but to actually be a focal point in the offense? OG might have added something to his game over the summer, buy sometimes it's painful to watch him try and force things. Right now I have OG pegged as a classic role player.

I just think Gary has shown signs he is a natural scorer and it's something this team could use among the starters. Would love to see how good he can be in that role.

Also I disagree about Fred having the firepower to be a 2nd option on a championship team.
    Fred, OG, Scottie and Gary are all like options 2a through 2d, even with Gary coming off the bench - they should all be around 20+/- 2ppg.

Leave a comment:

• planetmars
    replied
    Primer wrote: View Post

According to Fred, Nurse is a better coach than Casey.

Like no one has said that about Casey ever.
    https://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ld/6949480002/

Leave a comment:

• A.I
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post
    Zion looks like he slimmed down quite a bit.
    As does Harden. It is going to be an interesting season for some teams.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Otto could be starting in the playoffs, like what Kerr did.
    Especially if he proves that he is one of our best shooters.
    That's a long way away... who knows what this roster will look like come February.

Leave a comment:

• Primer
    replied

According to Fred, Nurse is a better coach than Casey.

Like no one has said that about Casey ever.

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied

He hasn't averaged starter minutes in a long time or produced like one. Not sure he has it in him with his past injuries.
    Otto could be starting in the playoffs, like what Kerr did.
    Especially if he proves that he is one of our best shooters.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    Zion looks like he slimmed down quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• golden
    replied

He hasn't averaged starter minutes in a long time or produced like one. Not sure he has it in him with his past injuries.
    Nobody said to give Otto starter minutes... just saying that he'd be a great fit to start the game with the starters, because of basketball reasons, i.e., he helps provide reliable floor spacing and defense. It's more about lineup balance, rather than, "hey... Otto is a 35MPG starter again." Nobody said that.

It's moot anyways, because it's not happening. If Klutch gets mad if Precious starts over Gary, then they will be absolutely livid if Otto starts over both of them. There's a ton of politics involved in starter vs. bench, pecking order, etc... because there's so much money at stake there.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    SkywalkerAC wrote: View Post

Barnes AND OG, who needs his shots, as the 3rd options. Even with Trent on the bench, Fred would have more than enough firepower to play more of a quarterback role.

And Gary can still take the pressure off the starters from the bench, as a closer.

Leave a comment:

• SkywalkerAC
    replied

I think most here at RR are behind Precious starting, but I feel it's Gary's spot to lose.

Precious starting puts a lot of pressure on Barnes to pick up the scoring as the 3rd option. Siakam may have a breakout season as a number one option but we've seen before in the playoffs when defenses tighten up, he's not that guy. Fred is good in spots but again, not a playoff 2nd option or even regular season on a championship team. Gary has that dynamic scoring ability to take the pressure off these guys in the playoffs.
    Barnes AND OG, who needs his shots, as the 3rd options. Even with Trent on the bench, Fred would have more than enough firepower to play more of a quarterback role.

And Gary can still take the pressure off the starters from the bench, as a closer.
    Last edited by SkywalkerAC; Mon Sep 26, 2022, 02:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LJ2
    replied
    golden wrote: View Post

What about starting Otto? That would give us a nice combination of size, shooting and defense to put around Siakam and Barnes. Neither Precious, nor Gary brings all 3 of those things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X