X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOLDBLUM
    replied
    Kagemusha wrote: View Post

It's like saying that we can't call the Native people natives coz they were abused and discriminated too? They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized.
    I guess my point is, and what constantly irritates me is that if they really wanted to get rid of labels, just call them Americans, period.
    Not sure what it is you're attempting to articulate here.

'Natives' is not a word that holds the same power. Settlers used to refer to Indigenous people with other terminology which we've gotten away from -- see the Cleveland Guardians if you need an enormous example of an organization in America finally making a change in an attempt to lessen offence caused to a particular group of people. We now sometimes say Natives, (though, I'd say as a settler -- the terms First Nations and Indigenous might be even more respectful, and hence I choose to use them first.)

That 'other' heinous word this discussion sprung from has *historically* specifically been used to degrade a specific people who's humanity was stripped from them for hundreds of years as they were literally bought and sold, and who remain statistically, deliberately, economically disadvantaged because of systems that were created and perpetuated to keep them disadvantaged. Let alone the fact that their lives continue to be in far more danger than the rest of us, statistically.

(btw - you said of Indigenous people: "They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized." .... They're still being marginalized, very much so, in a great many ways. It's just that society is a little more woken up to some of the atrocities our Indigenous peoples have faced, and the injustices they continue to face. Hopefully settlers are on their way to doing better. But we're not there yet and have a long, long way to go.)

Lastly, you can't just "call them Americans." There's far, far too much inequity to just happily pretend like everybody's the same -- and that race has no impact on people's lives, identities or opportunities.

In any case, these conversations only ever get ugly and regressive over here on Everything Raptors...

Mods, might I suggest/implore that you move this conversation over to Sprechen Zie whatever the eff, and anybody who insists on asking why they're not allowed to employ a heinous word can discuss it over there?

Much love y'all.

Leave a comment:

• Kagemusha
    replied
    TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

because realistically no matter what any one says there is a history of the word where it was originally used and still is used at times to dehumanize people particularly when its used by those who are not black.. Keep in mind you asked about the taboo nature specifically.
    It's like saying that we can't call the Native people natives coz they were abused and discriminated too? They were genocided and ripped of their land, and until now are being marginalized.
    I guess my point is, and what constantly irritates me is that if they really wanted to get rid of labels, just call them Americans, period.

Leave a comment:

• Puffer
    replied
    Hotshot wrote: View Post

So basically they gave him something closer to the Jalen Harris punishment as opposed to something closer to the Sterling punishment....
    So a year-long vacation.

Leave a comment:

• WJF
    replied
    slaw wrote: View Post

So, the n-word stuff aside, a lot of this sounds like stuff that happens at lots of big companies/firms. This feels like there was something more going on that maybe they couldn't prove or didn't want public and the NBA is sending a message. I imagine Sarver is choked cause he's likely done way worse and probably thought/thinks most of this stuff was funny and/or harmless. Also, I'm sure he's seen far worse (I know I have, like, way worse) and is probably pissed he is the one that got called out publicly.
    Are you saying because it happens at lots of big companies, and sometimes even worse things, that it's OK?

Call people out on their BS and make it the exception to act like that , not the norm. I'm not one of the over sensitive types that find things that are not truly there, but when is that blatant it needs to be shut down.

Leave a comment:

• slaw
    replied
    planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's not just the use of the N-word.. he was pretty gross.

More stuff in the thread.
    So, the n-word stuff aside, a lot of this sounds like stuff that happens at lots of big companies/firms. This feels like there was something more going on that maybe they couldn't prove or didn't want public and the NBA is sending a message. I imagine Sarver is choked cause he's likely done way worse and probably thought/thinks most of this stuff was funny and/or harmless. Also, I'm sure he's seen far worse (I know I have, like, way worse) and is probably pissed he is the one that got called out publicly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X