Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

its both though... would gobert be better on a team that is better defensively overall? yes .... but what happens on the other end of the floor. No one here who is in favor of gobert has addressed the serious offensive limitations he has and how that impacts the team..... everyone just changes the topic to focus on his rebounding or his defence and how we would be the best defensive team in basketball.. ok great no one is arguing otherwise.
    Well golden is.

Offensively I agree, Raptors will have to change more of their roster to have shooters around Gobert. Its also why I say its difficult to trade for him when you likely do have to give up OG and Gary, who are 2 of your better shooters. If you get Gobert, you want those 2 around for shooting and if you keep those 2, that probably means Pascal will be part of the trade, which is a gigantic no.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      The Raps need firepower in some form/combination: shooting, play making, shot making, shot creation.... whatever. Unless Gobert is going to start drilling threes and scoring 20/game, he isn't the answer to what ails this roster.
      Yep. We don't need more defense. Our defense was okay last year and it can be improved to elite by dialing down the system to still play aggressive, but smarter, like the Celtics. We don't need to always force turnovers, double/triple stars and give up wide open 3s. It doesn't always work.

Raps have at least as many talented individual defenders as the Celtics. Maybe more. To quote Jack Armstrong: not about the X's & O's... it's about the Jimmies & Joes. Nurse needs to stop over-coaching defense, like he did towards the end of the Sixers series. Let the guys show their defensive talent and stop having the over-aggressive system constantly putting them out of position.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Well golden is.

Offensively I agree, Raptors will have to change more of their roster to have shooters around Gobert. Its also why I say its difficult to trade for him when you likely do have to give up OG and Gary, who are 2 of your better shooters. If you get Gobert, you want those 2 around for shooting and if you keep those 2, that probably means Pascal will be part of the trade, which is a gigantic no.
        and you can't just bring random shooters they would need to be two way players who can defend or you run into screwing over your own defensive gains..
        My original idea of getting Mitchell was running under the assumption that we have a good enough defensive team around him. He off sets that with a high level of offensive ability creating a balance

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Protecting the rim. Nick loves to give up threes to an opponent's worst shooter anyway with his help scheme, and with our length on the perimeter we could probably do a decent job of contesting in an aggressive zone.
          And how did Nick's plan to give up open 3's to role players work in the playoffs this year? We gave up 41% on 3's to the Sixers. I'd say "not very well".

Doc Rivers and the role players were locked and loaded for that strategy. Nurse was badly out-coached and the "give up open 3's" strategy was exposed. Pretty much punted Games 1 & 2 before any adjustments were made.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Yep. We don't need more defense. Our defense was okay last year and it can be improved to elite by dialing down the system to still play aggressive, but smarter, like the Celtics. We don't need to always force turnovers, double/triple stars and give up wide open 3s. It doesn't always work.

Raps have at least as many talented individual defenders as the Celtics. Maybe more. To quote Jack Armstrong: not about the X's & O's... it's about the Jimmies & Joes. Nurse needs to stop over-coaching defense, like he did towards the end of the Sixers series. Let the guys show their defensive talent and stop having the over-aggressive system constantly putting them out of position.

I disagree with that.. you want to force turn overs....

what I will say is we can also do that while playing slightly more conservative yet still have the ability to switch You scale back your help defence and rely on longer athletic defenders:

This video went over some of that shift in the playoffs.

I like the fact he overcoaches an overaggressive system because its easier to scale back than to scale up.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And how did Nick's plan to give up open 3's to role players work in the playoffs this year? We gave up 41% on 3's to the Sixers. I'd say "not very well".

Doc Rivers and the role players were locked and loaded for that strategy. Nurse was badly out-coached and the "give up open 3's" strategy was exposed. Pretty much punted Games 1 & 2 before any adjustments were made.
              we punted game to because half our starting line up was taken out with different issues.

Comment

we punted game to because half our starting line up was taken out with different issues.
                golden is going to be re-litigating that Philly series for the next 10 years....

Comment

• I would give Gary Tjr, a Boucher S&T (if he's willing), maybe draft compensation for Gobert. That's my line in the sand.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

golden is going to be re-litigating that Philly series for the next 10 years....
                    Lol. It’s been litigated already. Guilty as charged. Sentencing will follow shortly.

Comment

• So since we have all agreed that rudy will cause more problems than he will solve because he isn't really solving any major issue we have outside of rebounding... next issue.

Comment

So since we have all agreed that rudy will cause more problems than he will solve because he isn't really solving any major issue we have outside of rebounding... next issue.
                        And I was going to say that I'd rather see the Raps trade for Mitchell... But even then, at what cost? I don't think these guys are worth breaking our current core. I'd prefer to see what this team can do before, maybe, shaking things up at the trade deadline.

Still, I'll throw something out of the blue, but if we really want to go for a homerun, maybe Dame Dolla could be the answer.

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

And I was going to say that I'd rather see the Raps trade for Mitchell... But even then, at what cost? I don't think these guys are worth breaking our current core. I'd prefer to see what this team can do before, maybe, shaking things up at the trade deadline.

Still, I'll throw something out of the blue, but if we really want to go for a homerun, maybe Dame Dolla could be the answer.
                          dame is coming off of a serious abdominal injury so we don't know how he will look.. mitchell is VERY good offensively but I've already made the case for him back before... for Mitchell it be fvv and gtj flynn and a future unprotected pick.

Comment

I mean cheap in terms of assets if its just gtj and thad sure...if you some how sign and trade thad
                            It's not a somehow in a Thad SnT. With those SnTs you just overpay the player rather significantly to make the math work and make the offer too hard for the player to refuse.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

its both though... would gobert be better on a team that is better defensively overall? yes .... but what happens on the other end of the floor. No one here who is in favor of gobert has addressed the serious offensive limitations he has and how that impacts the team..... everyone just changes the topic to focus on his rebounding or his defence and how we would be the best defensive team in basketball.. ok great no one is arguing otherwise.
                              I've addressed the supposed offensive limitations in all my posts.

16 ppg and highest TS% in the NBA.

That's not a liability on offense.

You cannot leave him unguarded because we can just toss up a rainbow for him to grab and slam home. He can set monster picks and roll to the basket. Or just free up our other players for nice open shots.

I guess everyone has forgotten how centers were used in the NBA before the small ball era. They weren't roaming the perimeter shooting 3s and yet they were some of the most dominating players in the game.
                              Last edited by Primer; Tue Jun 14, 2022, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Re Ayton. Would the Suns actually trade him for OG?
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X