Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

A core of OG Scottie Pascal Gobert sounds like a dreadful fit man ngl.

After experiencing the level that teams sagged off our shooters this year and the amount of zone we played against, someone like Gobert just makes that worse
    No one would ever score on us again, would be the upside.

That said, Gobert has a lot of gravity in the paint. Vertical floor spacer if you will. You can't help off him in there or it's an easy lob, and with a passer like Scottie that will be tough to defend.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

A core of OG Scottie Pascal Gobert sounds like a dreadful fit man ngl.

After experiencing the level that teams sagged off our shooters this year and the amount of zone we played against, someone like Gobert just makes that worse
      That's a good point. I like the balance Trent creates on offense in the starting line up as an above average threat to score from the perimeter. He needs to be more consistent but on the whole he had a good year.

He needs to bring it on defense more though. I think the effort is there, but needs more time in the system.

Comment

• Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          For the record, I love the idea of adding a game changing defensive C like Gobert, if we can do it while keeping most of our core together (Gary I'd be hoping to use in the deal).

But that enthusiasm does not extend to just getting some 7 foot halfway decent guy to stick in there. That's not added value relative to betting on Precious longer term.
          gobert doesn't work on this team

Comment

No one would ever score on us again, would be the upside.

That said, Gobert has a lot of gravity in the paint. Vertical floor spacer if you will. You can't help off him in there or it's an easy lob, and with a passer like Scottie that will be tough to defend.

Comment

Yes, having Kawhi Leonard is exceedingly replicable.
              We now have Scottie.

Comment

I suppose because he's not good enough to start over the guys who are actually starting?
                Yeah if we tell Trent he's the sixth man then he's the sixth man. Not like he would refuse to play or something, especially in a contract year. He needs to be full on I'll do anything to help the team win. His agent can say he came off the bench because of the wacky positionless offense we run. I also think Herro is gonna get a monster deal and change the perception of how much you need to pay an elite sixth man.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                  Since you believe Gobert (who is a traditional center), doesn't fit in this team,
                  who does?

Comment

• Masai had a press conference today. Love him. Didn't say anything world shattering, but still worth the listen whenever it becomes available.

Some takeaways ...
                    - he is extremely proud of the team and coach
                    - wants to build a championship
                    - wants to develop within, and look to add to it
                    - okay with getting a traditional big, as long as they can play like the way Raptors want
                    - would love a team of 15 Precious Achiuawa's if he can get it
                    - really proud of Siakam and what he went through. Really got emotional about it
                    - Lakers did not contact him about Nurse, and how he dreams big as well.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                      "Bigs Lives Matter"

-Masai
                      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                        Masai had a press conference today. Love him. Didn't say anything world shattering, but still worth the listen whenever it becomes available.

Some takeaways ...
                        - okay with getting a traditional big, as long as they can play like the way Raptors want
                        - really proud of Siakam and what he went through. Really got emotional about it

We know, Masai. We know.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Since you believe Gobert (who is a traditional center), doesn't fit in this team,
                          who does?
                          From everything being said by the front office it sounds a lot like Precious is our starting C of the future. I agree with Dan that Birch is just fine off the bench in limited minutes. Pascal, Scottie, Thad and even OG are there for a few minutes here and there in small ball line up's.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                            Masai had a press conference today. Love him. Didn't say anything world shattering, but still worth the listen whenever it becomes available.

Some takeaways ...

LOL I think he said 15 Precious, Pascal and Scotties. Not just 15 of Precious.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• We have two good players in fred and trent. Why not parlay them into a very good sg?

Comment

• I'm not a Gobert guy at all. He's a great defensive player, but offensively he's a bit of a liability. Not a shooter. Can't space the floor. Relies hard on pick and roll and switchy defenses can stop that pretty easily. If Boston was using Tatum and Williams as PnR defenders or Miami was using Jimmy/Bam, they could snuff that out easily.

He's also making about 33% of the cap.. that's a lot of money for essentially a role player. A really, really good role player, but still a role player.

Is someone like Javale McGee that much worse than Gobert?

Gobert is younger (30 compared to 34) and a far better defensive player I guess. Ultimately they are rim runners though. And you can get McGee for about the mid-level (he only made $5M this year).

If we're dumping that much money onto a single player they better be good at making buckets. Our biggest weakness was not being able to score. It's why we got trounced by Philly in game 6. Nobody could make a bucket.

Also Danny Ainge runs Utah now. You want to try and get a good deal from him? The one team to watch for is Charlotte. They can move Gordon Hayward's contract. He can go back to Utah. Danny would love that too.

Comment

Working...
                                X