Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
    that guy really really loves rudy though. He does make some good points but that contract and his offensive deficiencies are a little much

Comment

• Once again, we are so incredibly lucky to have Masai... I have no worries about the future of this team. That press conference could've been a few more hours and I would've been glued to it.

Comment

• Given how they managed the team in the past... I just don't think they'll make a splash this summer by trading one of our core players. Matter of fact, I don't think they'll trade any.

Bring back both FA in Boucher and Young, add another rotation player who fits the system (Covington?), move Trent to the bench for Achiuwa, add 1 player via draft, keep the best players at camp to sum up the roster. Get from there. Do a trade at the deadline if it doesn't go as well as they hope. That's it

That would be nice to see them trade for Gobert, for example... at least it would be exciting from a fan standpoint... But they would need to give up a whole lot, and it does not really fit what they want to establish here, even if he's a really good player and defender.

Comment

• I'd love to get Turner, but I don't know why Indiana would deal him now that they sent out Sabonis. Who do they replace Turner with? Do they just not play a center anymore like us? The time to get Turner was when they still had Sabonis and were choosing between the two. They made their choice (likely made for them by Sabonis being healthy and having more value). Indiana needs more bigs, not less.

They are absolutely stuffed full of guards, so they would be a good trade partner to bring in more shooting. Boucher sign and trade perhaps? They'll have a bunch of cap space so they could sign him outright, but they may want to keep that salary for other players and send us something in exchange for Boucher.

Comment

• So this is what I took away... there will be no plodding centre of the past. They want a big that can play like Precious, Pascal, Scottie. They want a guy that can play at both ends, protect the rim, but still push the ball and have guard skills.

Gobert doesn't fit that mold. There's very few guys that do... I don't think they will have to be a good as Mobley or Anthony Davis... but I think that's what Masai was getting at. I think it's more likely that they draft and develop the guy they want... but we all know those guys are hard to find.

If a shooter can't defend, or have potential to defend, don't expect them them on this roster.

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

Since you believe Gobert (who is a traditional center), doesn't fit in this team,
              who does?
              You want my suggestions. I think Turner is someone who they go for.

If you are asking who is the "perfect" guy to do starting center duties and one day split that role with precious (precious isn't quite there yet... Here is my list of maybe 3 guys who could work not named Mobley:

Ayton
              Poeltl
              Maybe Turner.

That is it. There are not many in the NBA that currently are remotely gettable or fit the style. Thomas Bryant is one guy I would gamble on but there is inherent risk there. Ayton is likely gettable but it will cost you.

I just think there are cheaper options that allow us to stop gap that problem while we solve another in the mean time. It will be hard to solve both. Trying to solve center depth and get another "guy" who can score at even a moderate level is hard to find and thus you have that list. Poeltl is not a bad scorer but he is not likely to be on the market. Ayton and Turner are the two guys left after that. Ayton you likely have to give up OG or Siakam. Siakam for Ayton is tough but honestly I would say that it could work out in the long run yes. I wouldn't want to do it but it may work out. The lower risk option is coming up with a package for turner. Turner shouldn't cost you a grand daddy offer or anything like that. Him coming off an injury year means you can resign him to an extension for cheaper than you otherwise would have. The alternative is you wait until the off season next year and you go after him then or see.

You either need someone who is so good offensively like KAT where their defensive downside is overcome by the offense, or you need a two-way player who is just solid. And actually, Poeltl is available this upcoming year so yeah maybe that is a move they could address next year if they so choose.

So really you gotta decide which set of problems do you want to solve this year. You can't solve both. I would opt for the scoring issue but that's me. IF you try to find a player that does "most things" you end up with a Myles Turner level of player. Young decent, with upside.

Comment

• I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Gary... but sometimes you forget a guy

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                  I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Gary... but sometimes you forget a guy
                  IIRC, Masai also forgot to mention Gary at the seasoning opening presser. Trade bait?

Comment

• I'm a hard no on trading any of Scottie, Pascal or OG. I would only trade Fred or Precious in a package if it brought back someone like Shai. I like GTj, but for the right player I think he is the guy you move to upgrade.

Nick alluded to it yesterday, the current roster has trouble guarding one player in the league because of their size, and that's Embiid. Nick said it will take better schemes, to get that done. He mentioned Jokic, but he thinks Embiid is the tougher cover in the post. Given that, I'd rather have a better guard and more shooting, rather than a big.

Comment

I was kind of surprised he didn't mention Gary... but sometimes you forget a guy
                      Nick didn't really mention him either

Comment

I'm a hard no on trading any of Scottie, Pascal or OG. I would only trade Fred or Precious in a package if it brought back someone like Shai. I like GTj, but for the right player I think he is the guy you move to upgrade.

Nick alluded to it yesterday, the current roster has trouble guarding one player in the league because of their size, and that's Embiid. Nick said it will take better schemes, to get that done. He mentioned Jokic, but he thinks Embiid is the tougher cover in the post. Given that, I'd rather have a better guard and more shooting, rather than a big.
                        lol giving up Fred isn't going to give you precious in return. You would need to be looking at giving up OG for a package to work realistically and that is a remote possiblity.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

IIRC, Masai also forgot to mention Gary at the seasoning opening presser. Trade bait?
                          It's happened a few times by front office when listing "the core". At this point I don't think it's mistake or omission. I don't think they know what to do with Gary yet, but I do think he's at best the 6th most valued player on the team.
                          9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Because he's not part of the core? it's pretty obvious who the core pieces are. OG, Siakam, Barnes, FVV....and from the Masai quotes that I saw today I think you can add Precious as part of the core.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

It's happened a few times by front office when listing "the core". At this point I don't think it's mistake or omission. I don't think they know what to do with Gary yet, but I do think he's at best the 6th most valued player on the team.
                              Would tend to agree. The fact that Gary only signed a 2-year and Klutch was also able to negotiate the player option, might've rubbed them the wrong way. And we coughed up a pretty good asset and beloved #WeTheNorth founding member, in Norm, to get him.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Trent played 70 games for the Raps this season which has to be up there considering a lot of guys were in and out of the line up. Raps record with Trent was 44-26 and 4-12 without. Like him or not, Trent was a big part a 48 win Raps team this season.

Comment

Working...
                                X