Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

The other problem is that Fred isn't that great at throwing lobs or timing the bounce back to big men rolling to the rim. Considering that he has the ball a lot to initiate the offense, we might not get value out of a "dominant" rim running big man. Dunks, tip-ins and put backs were pretty much what Precious did all last year with Miami and that was on decent USG (20%). Boucher can also play way above the rim and we lost that chemistry when Lowry left. Unlocking the full team potential will hinge a lot of Fred's improvements and/or getting the ball out of his hands, if he doesn't improve enough.
    The team's potential rests entirely on Scottie ending up the primary anyway, so I'm not overly fussed about Fred's PnR limitations considering we have to move away from him long term anyway.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

The team's potential rests entirely on Scottie ending up the primary anyway, so I'm not overly fussed about Fred's PnR limitations considering we have to move away from him long term anyway.
      Has anybody had that conversation with Fred yet?

Comment

Fred's usage dropped as the season went on and into the playoffs, and he found himself off ball more and more even when he was logging heavy minutes. So... yeah, I imagine they have.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• If we trade Gary, it has be be for a player who can shoot as well or better. We're hoping that Pascal, Precious and Scottie improve their outside shooting, but we also don't want to subtract from what we already have.

I really don't think we need Gobert. Spending 40M+ on a centre, or any player that doesn't move the needle offensively doesn't make sense in today's NBA. It's not like this team is below average defensively... I expect as this team grows together they'll improve.

Precious will be able to guard most 5's, with exception to Embiid, and Jokic, with single coverage.

Comment

It doesn't sound like Fred will be going anywhere anytime soon (according to Masai and Nurse). Nurse mentioned in his end of season press conference that Fred will be spending more time off ball with the emergence of Pascal and Scottie.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
              If we trade Gary, it has be be for a player who can shoot as well or better. We're hoping that Pascal, Precious and Scottie improve their outside shooting, but we also don't want to subtract from what we already have.

I really don't think we need Gobert. Spending 40M+ on a centre, or any player that doesn't move the needle offensively doesn't make sense in today's NBA. It's not like this team is below average defensively... I expect as this team grows together they'll improve.

Precious will be able to guard most 5's, with exception to Embiid, and Jokic, with single coverage.
              which is exactly why trading for gobert won't happen and is a BAD idea.

Comment

these conversations don't typically happen in the middle of a series. even during the season, the way they happen is usually done in a different way. Bobby has even hinted that they don't usually like doing drastic deals during the deadline because of the disruption to the chemistry. They make a plan and execute and make minor trims to the plan during the year but major shifts happen at other times unless its specifically a deal that is serious that can bring in a KAWHI level guy... and even then you do it during the off season.

Fred was shifted more and more off ball even though his usage rate remained the same lol... but yeah that is how they did it. They didn't outright talk to Fred and say BRO listen... scottie is the point. There is a bit more subtlety needed to have these conversations and massage them in. Nick talks about this in his book actually.

Comment

• Ok you don't want Rudy for Siakam would you than consider Brogdon + Turner + 1st for Siakam + Birch. You than have to extend Turner.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                    Ok you don't want Rudy for Siakam would you than consider Brogdon + Turner + 1st for Siakam + Birch. You than have to extend Turner.
                    You don't trade an all-NBA talent for two good players.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

these conversations don't typically happen in the middle of a series. even during the season, the way they happen is usually done in a different way. Bobby has even hinted that they don't usually like doing drastic deals during the deadline because of the disruption to the chemistry. They make a plan and execute and make minor trims to the plan during the year but major shifts happen at other times unless its specifically a deal that is serious that can bring in a KAWHI level guy... and even then you do it during the off season.

Fred was shifted more and more off ball even though his usage rate remained the same lol... but yeah that is how they did it. They didn't outright talk to Fred and say BRO listen... scottie is the point. There is a bit more subtlety needed to have these conversations and massage them in. Nick talks about this in his book actually.
                      Yeah, but this is pro sports and Fred is entering a contract year, so it's more than just a delicate massaging of egos in play. He will want to maximize his raw stats (PPG, APG, SPG, RPG). He even mentioned in the end-of-year media scrum that ".... scoring 20 points isn't a good game for me anymore". That was an ominous quote.

Comment

Yeah, but this is pro sports and Fred is entering a contract year, so it's more than just a delicate massaging of egos in play. He will want to maximize his raw stats (PPG, APG, SPG, RPG). He even mentioned in the end-of-year media scrum that ".... scoring 20 points isn't a good game for me anymore". That was an ominous quote.
                        ever the optimist golden.

here's the full quote:
                        I think I’m at that crossroads where like 20 points isn’t a good game anymore,” VanVleet said. “Went from like, underrated, undrafted to overrated like, very fast. So, I gotta start getting outside the box. I gotta start doing things that I’ve never done before. I’ve gotta get uncomfortable. I got to find ways to get better so at least I can say I’ve done everything that I possibly could. There’s still more things that I can explore, personally to get better and I’m looking forward to doing that this summer
                        FWIW, when i heard that i didn't think he meant "now i gotta score 30 to have a good game", i took it to mean that he's proven he can score 20 ppg the last two years and now he needs to focus on all the other things he can do to affect the game... ie. basically emulate lowry

Comment

• listened to masai and what i heard was he sounds like he is backing bobby and nick nurse. neither of which believe in having a center. what he did make sure he said was whatever we are going to do we have to win. so people have been on notice we will do it your way if we don’t win…..

also listened to my normal podcasts to hear their take on it hoping for better but there are at least 2 podcasts that will be deleted from my daily shows. the raptors show and locked on raptors, i gave them a shot i am done with them.

Comment

• scottie and pascal need to go out there and be supermen, super sayian blue….help is not coming!!!!

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              listened to masai and what i heard was he sounds like he is backing bobby and nick nurse. neither of which believe in having a center. what he did make sure he said was whatever we are going to do we have to win. so people have been on notice we will do it your way if we don’t win…..

also listened to my normal podcasts to hear their take on it hoping for better but there are at least 2 podcasts that will be deleted from my daily shows. the raptors show and locked on raptors, i gave them a shot i am done with them.
                              why did you give up on the locked on ?

Comment

it was worrisome to me too

Comment

Working...
                                X