No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The competition for those end of bench spots will be ruthless next year I think.

Banton seems like the only real lock. Malachi if he’s still around but I do think there’s a very good chance he’s used to dump Svi (there’s no way Svi doesn’t pick up the option and keeping him is a waste of a roster spot).

Then you have Champagnie, Brooks has a partial guarantee, David Johnson should get a shot, the 33rd pick, and Bonga/Yuta with outside chances as well. Plus we always get some camp invites.

If we only have 4 open spots + 2 two ways that’ll be a fun battle

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Harris is going to have a lot of suitors. I think he'd be a great fit (thought so a the deadline, too) but my guess is he ends up with a contending team somewhere.
      Could be right. But who knows, maybe he sees our roster and sees how useful he would be as a guy that can shoot so well on top of how shallow our guard depth is.

Blind hope I guess

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Yeah, it seems a bit out there. I'm just wondering if maybe, possibly they'd look at somebody like a Gary Harris.

It feels as though management likes the top 6 guys, so you add in a Thad and/or a Boucher and Nurse's 8-man rotation (and he ain't playing any more than that despite the talk about 11 or 12 guys) is pretty full. Maybe Banton is ready? Maybe Champagnie? Desperately need some scoring added to that mix but I get the sense that the team is otherwise kind of set for next season.

Thing is, you can say that you need 11 or 12 guys or whatever but free agents ain't signing to be 11th or 12th men and maybe play when guys get hurt unless they have no other options. Having a shooter that only play when OG gets hurt, for example, isn't really going to work in the grand scheme of things.
        Short of adding vet players that can actually play still, it's hard to imagine Nurse expanding on that 8-man rotation. Too much drop off in talent, experience and IQ between that top 8 and rest of the guys. Even more so with all the new faces that were probably lost during film sessions on how their defense works.

Either they move a couple of the end of rotation guys (Birch, Boucher, Flynn, Banton) for new ones or they replace some of the bench warmers to see if they luck out. Gobert and AD though? Pipe dreams.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          The competition for those end of bench spots will be ruthless next year I think.

Banton seems like the only real lock. Malachi if he’s still around but I do think there’s a very good chance he’s used to dump Svi (there’s no way Svi doesn’t pick up the option and keeping him is a waste of a roster spot).

Then you have Champagnie, Brooks has a partial guarantee, David Johnson should get a shot, the 33rd pick, and Bonga/Yuta with outside chances as well. Plus we always get some camp invites.

We can cut Svi if he picks up the option and just eat the salary to open up a spot.

I'd try to move Flynn for a 2nd round pick, I bet someone in the latter half of the 2nd would want him instead of their pick. Or maybe swap him for another first round bust and they both get a second chance on a new team.

I hope Bonga and Yuta are gone. They had their shot and they stink.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

We can cut Svi if he picks up the option and just eat the salary to open up a spot.

I'd try to move Flynn for a 2nd round pick, I bet someone in the latter half of the 2nd would want him instead of their pick. Or maybe swap him for another first round bust and they both get a second chance on a new team.

I hope Bonga and Yuta are gone. They had their shot and they stink.
            I agree with all of this

Not sure how close we are to tax though if we sign Thad/Boucher/full MLE so we might not have the luxury of being able to just cut Svi.

Comment

• Raptors are not close to the tax based Boucher for $10 Million - 3 years, Thad 2 years- $7 Million plus MLE for 4/$43 Million. That is $27 Million plus the 13 players at $114.1 Million. that still leaves Raptors $6 Million under the cap. That is with SVI, Flynn, Birch ,Champagnie , Johnson, Banton and Brooks and room for trade and signing a second round pick- Trevor Keel?

Comment

My very early pick for MLE is probably Gary Harris honestly. Just seems like the best of what is available.

Covington or Dipo would be amazing but I highly doubt either would be available for MLE.
                I'd also look at Thomas Bryant for the MLE and hopefully we can trade Birch to free up some cash.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                  Uhh, yes, I too would prefer a team just hand us a superstar but maybe that's an unrealistic expectation?
                  I did mention that we wouldn’t be able to get AD (because I knew that would be your retort) but you a still don’t pay AD type salaries for a player that doesn’t move the needle that much. Gobert is overpaid for what he would bring to this team. I don’t care that he may be available… he’s still making 1/3 of the cap. And most likely if you are trading something away for him it’s going to our players that can shoot… which we already have deficit of.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

I did mention that we wouldn’t be able to get AD (because I knew that would be your retort) but you a still don’t pay AD type salaries for a player that doesn’t move the needle that much. Gobert is overpaid for what he would bring to this team. I don’t care that he may be available… he’s still making 1/3 of the cap. And most likely if you are trading something away for him it’s going to our players that can shoot… which we already have deficit of.
                    AD-type salary = max salary. And yes, you pay max salary for guys who are not top 10 type players or you end up with zero top 30 type players, because those guys all get that salary.

We can disagree on Gobert being overpaid or his fit (and we certainly do). But don't do the false equivalency built on superstars being underpaid with the max salary system, that's a silly way to look at it.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

AD-type salary = max salary. And yes, you pay max salary for guys who are not top 10 type players or you end up with zero top 30 type players, because those guys all get that salary.

We can disagree on Gobert being overpaid or his fit (and we certainly do). But don't do the false equivalency built on superstars being underpaid with the max salary system, that's a silly way to look at it.
                      i disagree with this. sign max salaries for top 30 (or 40) level players if they are young and ascending (i.e. pascal's rookie max extension), and not for players at or past their peak who will be on the downside of their careers as the contract plays out. those always end up being the worst contracts in the league because of the stage those players are at in their career and how much more $$ those veteran contracts are (ie. extensions that dame, beal, and harden might sign this summer).

it's trickier for players that are in that top 20-30 range that are entering or are at the beginning of their primes, but in most instances i'd lean towards letting them go or trading them before it gets to that point. for example, i think pascal would be eligible for a supermax next offseason if he makes all-nba this season and next. i would never sign him to that, much as i love him (and i've been arguing he's worth his rookie max since well before he signed it).

i also think we can just extend him this summer. that's a tougher decision i think, but i'd lean towards signing it vs being in a position of signing him to a SM next summer or letting him walk for nothing.

and i wouldn't want to pay either street clothes or gobert the money they are making.

Comment

• chris wrote: View Post

i disagree with this. sign max salaries for top 30 (or 40) level players if they are young and ascending (i.e. pascal's rookie max extension), and not for players at or past their peak who will be on the downside of their careers as the contract plays out. those always end up being the worst contracts in the league because of the stage those players are at in their career and how much more $$ those veteran contracts are (ie. extensions that dame, beal, and harden might sign this summer).

it's trickier for players that are in that top 20-30 range that are entering or are at the beginning of their primes, but in most instances i'd lean towards letting them go or trading them before it gets to that point. for example, i think pascal would be eligible for a supermax next offseason if he makes all-nba this season and next. i would never sign him to that, much as i love him (and i've been arguing he's worth his rookie max since well before he signed it).

i also think we can just extend him this summer. that's a tougher decision i think, but i'd lean towards signing it vs being in a position of signing him to a SM next summer or letting him walk for nothing.

and i wouldn't want to pay either street clothes or gobert the money they are making.
                        So, you want to only ever pay non-superstars the rookie max and nothing higher? That's a great way to run a team and never have very many good players on it, I'll give you that.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

I agree with all of this

Not sure how close we are to tax though if we sign Thad/Boucher/full MLE so we might not have the luxury of being able to just cut Svi.
                          Svi's contract is pretty close to the minimum so I don't think it would be an issue. Dan would have more insight here.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Svi's contract is pretty close to the minimum so I don't think it would be an issue. Dan would have more insight here.
                            I think they will try to package svi up with someone such as malachi to either gain some room or something.

Comment

The competition for those end of bench spots will be ruthless next year I think.

david johnson if he iso n the team he will get a shot as a two way player.

Bonga maybe a two way. Yuta will get a shot but it will be minimum level as a contract nothing major money wise. Brooks it depends on how summer league looks. Same with champagne.. I think Justin will be a two way guy again who may get converted during the year depending on his play.

Comment

Hard to predict Bamba's market. The MLE is likely on the low end, but he's never really had a full season of success, never mind on a winning team. Even this year, he blew up, but he was still a 10 and 8 guy. Not easy to find a team that would definitely give him 15M a year. If the Raps come calling with their MLE, it is possible he'd bite. Question of course then would be whether the Magic would hold onto him at that price...
                                he seems like a project like a massive one.

Comment

Working...
                                X