Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Otto is a pretty reliable defender, no? And he can shoot the 3. Not a bad target.

The interesting part of the offseason will be how the team emphasizes talent influx/retention vs salary flexibility moving forward. The MLE level deals are historically the worst value in the league, and we already have one with term on the books (Khem). Do you want a booksheet with 4 of them (Khem, Thad, Boucher, whoever they add with the MLE)? For one season it doesn't matter, but beyond that it really does start to fill up your team with guys who aren't really difference makers. So do they try to find guys who will sign for one year, and pay a premium on the salary relative to talent (ie get a guy who would get less than the MLE if they signed for term; or sign only one of Boucher or Thad to an overpay to get them on shorter term)?
    I looked at the numbers he isn't bad so that is fair.

As for the second question ... who said Thad is getting an MLE? I don't see him getting more than 5 max 7 but either way its a shorter term deal like two years.

Point is we need upgrades on the bench. Either way I think we need to sort out the gtj fvv thing first that is just my opinion. No Rudy is not the solution. He would help in some areas but those are areas we have already figured out how to at least "work around" for now.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
      Everyone has discussed Gobert to death, including myself. An improvement from the bench is the must. Banton is not a NBA player, neither is Champagnie, if we are to remain a bottom tier playoff team than keep two of the above. Basketball is a 10 man rotation (NBA) , with a transition player if one of the Core is injured. But, the strength of the team replacing the Core is from 6-10.
      Raptors- 6th Man onwards is Precious, Boucher and Thad Young. To me Precious and Boucher are presently the same player, with Precious having a NBA body that Boucher does not. More experience with Boucher. Raptors require a bench, it is my supposition that Birch and Boucher are expendable based on the next two to three years.
      Thus Sign and Trade Boucher plus Birch ($17 Million) for 22/23. Targets to trade for Dillon Brooks (1 year contract), Alec Burk and Nerlon Noel from the Knicks, or Jordon Clarkson for Boucher straight up.
      We can all feel emotionally attached to Boucher as he as improved, however, he is 30 years old, and to trade a similar aged ball player who can score more points from the front court and beyond the 3 point line is a valid trade off.
      If not, how about trading Capella for Boucher and Birch, Atlanta has to revamp. If Atlanta cannot get Gobert with a trade of Capella, Collins plus. Than lets consider an offer for Clint with Boucher and Birch.
      I dont' know if you wanna risk getting a guy like Brooks who is a bit overrated in my opinion and who you will have to give a raise to. Te problem with Brooks will be cost. T like the idea of Nerlens Noel though and Alec Burke

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I dont' know if you wanna risk getting a guy like Brooks who is a bit overrated in my opinion and who you will have to give a raise to. Te problem with Brooks will be cost. T like the idea of Nerlens Noel though and Alec Burke

Than sign a PG to give Freddy 15 minutes of rest per game. Jones, Wright, Malik Monk, or trade for Coby White by sending Flynn , SVI and Banton.

Comment

Otto is a pretty reliable defender, no? And he can shoot the 3. Not a bad target.

The interesting part of the offseason will be how the team emphasizes talent influx/retention vs salary flexibility moving forward. The MLE level deals are historically the worst value in the league, and we already have one with term on the books (Khem). Do you want a booksheet with 4 of them (Khem, Thad, Boucher, whoever they add with the MLE)? For one season it doesn't matter, but beyond that it really does start to fill up your team with guys who aren't really difference makers. So do they try to find guys who will sign for one year, and pay a premium on the salary relative to talent (ie get a guy who would get less than the MLE if they signed for term; or sign only one of Boucher or Thad to an overpay to get them on shorter term)?
          I have a feeling that Thad ain't staying. Just seems like he wants to play more minutes and on the Raptors 15-20 minutes might not do it. Seems like a guy that wants to be like a Vince Carter was in his last few seasons and just get minutes on a bottom feeding team where he can also be a floor general and help the young players out. I mean Thad probably has maybe 3 more years of NBA game left in him if we are being honest.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
            Fred, Trent, Flynn for Mitchell and NAW?
            Fred , Trent Jr and Flynn for Mitchell and Clarkson. Think Fred is a better team player.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
              Is it too soon?

We have the 33rd pick, the mid level, and a couple expiring contracts. I don't expect any big swings, Masai is a pretty patient guy, I think we'll keep trending up, until we are ready to make the big leap.

Wendell Moore who is 6'6" 220 ,SG and SF who has had three years to develop if he is available There will be mid majors available at Pg who will not be drafted and hopefully Bobby is ready to sign them as free agents.

Comment

Welcome aboard the Otto Porter bandwagon, finally. We should have scooped him up for cheap last off-season, if that was possible. He's only making $2.4M. Seems like there's always a veteran 3&D or veteran backup PG available that somebody else signs for cheap, while we sign development projects who have difficulty earning minutes. For vets trying to get their careers back on track and land that next contract.... Raps can definitely offer minutes.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Welcome aboard the Otto Porter bandwagon, finally. We should have scooped him up for cheap last off-season, if that was possible. He's only making $2.4M. Seems like there's always a veteran 3&D or veteran backup PG available that somebody else signs for cheap, while we sign development projects who have difficulty earning minutes. For vets trying to get their careers back on track and land that next contract.... Raps can definitely offer minutes.
                  Porter has already made a lot of money in the league (thanks to Washington). He seems like your typical chip chaser now despite only being 28. Wouldn't be surprised if he signed with a team like Milwaukee or Phoenix, if not GSW again next season. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Porter has already made a lot of money in the league (thanks to Washington). He seems like your typical chip chaser now despite only being 28. Wouldn't be surprised if he signed with a team like Milwaukee or Phoenix, if not GSW again next season. But I could be wrong.

OPJ will get the playing time ahead of Iggy who will be gone. He will be back with GP2 and Damien Lee at low wages. GSW will trade Klay Thompson + Wiseman + a pick for Rudy Gobert.

OPJ and Kuminga will be the backup. Wiggin will be offered an extension for 4/$80 Million similar to the amount of Harrison Barnes contract.

Curry, Poole, Wiggins, Green and Gobert
                    GP2, Moody/Lee, OPJ , Kuminga. GSW offers an extension to Looney 3/$14 Million.

GSW becomes more formidable. Thompson is 20 lbs overweight, but can lose that amount of weight when he plays with Mitchell next year,

Comment

Than sign a PG to give Freddy 15 minutes of rest per game. Jones, Wright, Malik Monk, or trade for Coby White by sending Flynn , SVI and Banton.
                      freddy can get his rest but he shouldn't be point guard end of story there. If they wanna get any of the names you want sure no problem but you aren't getting coby white for the package you just suggested. But in terms of signing malik monk or something... sure but still freddy cannot be the point guard next year.

Comment

Fred , Trent Jr and Flynn for Mitchell and Clarkson. Think Fred is a better team player.
                        to get clarkson you would need to add birch as a salary

fred isn't a team player based on his interviews and the play he displayed. Not saying he is a bad player but he isn't a point guard but he wants to be pointguard. There is nothing to suggest Mitchell isn't a team guy.

Comment

• Where are you guys seeing the OPJ fit on the roster? He seems like a guy that's young enough to want a bunch of minutes per game and I'm not sure where those would come from. Replacing Birch's minutes might be a starting point, but I doubt that will be enough to keep him happy and not all together sure he can handle guarding C's. Birch is listed at 35lbs heavier than OPJ.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

At 28, he's got at least one more 3-year contract left in him. That's way too young to be throwing away prime earning years for rings. He'll use this down year to get exposure and rebuild his value. I'd be shocked if he signs for the minimum again.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                              Where are you guys seeing the OPJ fit on the roster? He seems like a guy that's young enough to want a bunch of minutes per game and I'm not sure where those would come from. Replacing Birch's minutes might be a starting point, but I doubt that will be enough to keep him happy and not all together sure he can handle guarding C's. Birch is listed at 35lbs heavier than OPJ.
                              I think there are better fits but its interesting.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

This is the second or third time the forums have been down in the last year.
                                Why don't they put something about it on the RR homepage (bug, working on it, thanks for patience blah blah) because two emails to their contact given got no reply, same as last time and you're left wondering if it's on your end....
                                haha, I tried to come on this morning, same blank page... I did some searches on twitter and reddit to see if there if there was any chatter about them closing the forums... nothing....So, I thought, hey maybe I should email them... 45mins later I got an email apologizing, and they said the forums were back up again... Maybe I should've emailed on Saturday. lol

It's weird that there's no mention of it on the homepage... I was even searching the comment sections on articles to see if there was any mention of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X