Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I looked at the numbers he isn't bad so that is fair.

As for the second question ... who said Thad is getting an MLE? I don't see him getting more than 5 max 7 but either way its a shorter term deal like two years.

Point is we need upgrades on the bench. Either way I think we need to sort out the gtj fvv thing first that is just my opinion. No Rudy is not the solution. He would help in some areas but those are areas we have already figured out how to at least "work around" for now.
    I was being a little generic with the MLE thing, but generally the worst value contracts in the NBA are deals that are not the minimum but are MLE or less - that is, a deal you need the MLE to sign a guy to (for example I included Khem as an MLE guy though he only makes 7M).

Two years of term is where the worries start though. Because after next season we are looking at the first wave of potential raises for our core (Gary and Fred), then the year after if you sign any 3 year term MLE-type deals, you have OG and Pascal and Precious up for raises.

So having a bunch of those 5-10M deals on the books when you are trying to fit in raises for the core is non-ideal.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Hotshot wrote: View Post

I have a feeling that Thad ain't staying. Just seems like he wants to play more minutes and on the Raptors 15-20 minutes might not do it. Seems like a guy that wants to be like a Vince Carter was in his last few seasons and just get minutes on a bottom feeding team where he can also be a floor general and help the young players out. I mean Thad probably has maybe 3 more years of NBA game left in him if we are being honest.
      Vince might not be the comparison you want, over his final 6 seasons he averaged 18 minutes a game, and even that is high due to one 24 minute season and the rest in the 15-16 minute range.

But I could absolutely see him walking, especially if they are not willing to give him term. I'd rather they give Boucher a big 20M per year for 2 years (2nd year NG) to create a trade asset and preserve salary flexibility after next season than sign a bunch of MLE sized deals with term.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post

haha, I tried to come on this morning, same blank page... I did some searches on twitter and reddit to see if there if there was any chatter about them closing the forums... nothing....So, I thought, hey maybe I should email them... 45mins later I got an email apologizing, and they said the forums were back up again... Maybe I should've emailed on Saturday. lol

It's weird that there's no mention of it on the homepage... I was even searching the comment sections on articles to see if there was any mention of it.
        I emailed raptorsrepublic@gmail.com twice (the email given on the RR website) and got no response to either. I had the same issue the last time. No idea who gets that email or if anyone does. Glad we're back up but can't wait for the next time .... memebership fees are good though lol

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

At 28, he's got at least one more 3-year contract left in him. That's way too young to be throwing away prime earning years for rings. He'll use this down year to get exposure and rebuild his value. I'd be shocked if he signs for the minimum again.
          He's young, but he's made a lot of $$ already. So he may not be motivated with money deals anymore. And he'd still get enough playing time on a championship contender.

I mean he turned down a MLE deal last off season to play for the Warriors:

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I was being a little generic with the MLE thing, but generally the worst value contracts in the NBA are deals that are not the minimum but are MLE or less - that is, a deal you need the MLE to sign a guy to (for example I included Khem as an MLE guy though he only makes 7M).

Two years of term is where the worries start though. Because after next season we are looking at the first wave of potential raises for our core (Gary and Fred), then the year after if you sign any 3 year term MLE-type deals, you have OG and Pascal and Precious up for raises.

So having a bunch of those 5-10M deals on the books when you are trying to fit in raises for the core is non-ideal.
            do you want to keep the starting line up as is or are you ok with changes.

Comment

do you want to keep the starting line up as is or are you ok with changes.
              Define starting lineup. If they are starting small again next year I'll be none too pleased. If they are starting Precious that's fine. If they have all 5 of the small starters back, also fine, so long as they aren't starting all of them. But I'm definitely open to changes, it just depends on the change.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Define starting lineup. If they are starting small again next year I'll be none too pleased. If they are starting Precious that's fine. If they have all 5 of the small starters back, also fine, so long as they aren't starting all of them. But I'm definitely open to changes, it just depends on the change.
                what do you mean small starters.

Comment

I thought everyone was 6'9

Comment

• very good discussion

Comment

what do you mean small starters.
                      We started a small ball lineup a good chunk of the year. Fred, Trent, OG, Pascal, Scottie. They were not good, and they were terrible to start games.

We alternatively started lineups with actual centers, which had varying success, but the Precious looks in particular were much better generally than the small starting group.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

I thought everyone was 6'9
                        Fred, Gary and OG are all not 6'9. Starting all three and then no center on top of it is a small group, both in terms of size and in terms of play style.

Starting a C (Precious or Khem) removes one of those three (Gary) from the starting group and makes them bigger, and more importantly gives you a C in terms of how they play and who they can successfully defend, in contrast to Scottie or Pascal or OG having to deal with mismatches.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

We started a small ball lineup a good chunk of the year. Fred, Trent, OG, Pascal, Scottie. They were not good, and they were terrible to start games.

We alternatively started lineups with actual centers, which had varying success, but the Precious looks in particular were much better generally than the small starting group.
                          Ah gotcha. I think precious in the starting line up helps yes but I also think removing one of Fred or Trent from the starting line up also helps but I am too lazy to digi into the numbers at this exact section.

The real question is would you rather a dream with elite defence or elite offence as a hypothetical.

Comment

• I'm just hoping Banton and Flynn have big off seasons. Flynn is heading into his 3rd year which is often thought of as a year when young players take a big leap. He didn't play much this season though so maybe that stalls his development by a season? He's a much better shooter than he's show so far. Banton has the size advantage, but lacking the skills Flynn has. Gotta cut back on Fred's minutes next season.

Gotta let Yuta go. He's reached his ceiling and looks like he's not going to be anything more than an energy guy. His roster spot should be used on another prospect, a big to back up the core guys.

Comment

very good discussion

going to listen now

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
                                I'm just hoping Banton and Flynn have big off seasons. Flynn is heading into his 3rd year which is often thought of as a year when young players take a big leap. He didn't play much this season though so maybe that stalls his development by a season? He's a much better shooter than he's show so far. Banton has the size advantage, but lacking the skills Flynn has. Gotta cut back on Fred's minutes next season.

Gotta let Yuta go. He's reached his ceiling and looks like he's not going to be anything more than an energy guy. His roster spot should be used on another prospect, a big to back up the core guys.
                                Can be a pretty big gamble to hope for internal improvements on Banton and Flynn.

I'd still prefer bringing in a combo guard to help the bench out if those two guys don't develop well enough. You need shooting from the back court. Neither Banton or Flynn have proven to be good shooters / floor spacers. If Fred or Gary need to sit or are out, we need more help.

I think Svi was supposed to be that guy and he was terrible.

Our front office has been terrible with free agency though. Not including UDFA's, the last win in free agency I think was Chris Boucher. And maybe Bismack Biyombo before that, and that was in 2015.

Comment

Working...
                                X