Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Fred, Gary and OG are all not 6'9. Starting all three and then no center on top of it is a small group, both in terms of size and in terms of play style.

Starting a C (Precious or Khem) removes one of those three (Gary) from the starting group and makes them bigger, and more importantly gives you a C in terms of how they play and who they can successfully defend, in contrast to Scottie or Pascal or OG having to deal with mismatches.
    I should have used the sarcasm font

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

going to listen now
      I actually heard NBA chev yesterday. thing is chev has some good points but overall he isn't the best in terms of digging into the analysis of it but the overall idea is you will get an upgrade but he is also right you don't give up pascal.
      i think if we are smart rudy isn't it.

NBA chev is always a fun listen

Comment

• Masai hints that Boucher is coming back, or at least they want him to
        https://www.si.com/nba/raptors/news/...-chris-boucher

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Can be a pretty big gamble to hope for internal improvements on Banton and Flynn.

I'd still prefer bringing in a combo guard to help the bench out if those two guys don't develop well enough. You need shooting from the back court. Neither Banton or Flynn have proven to be good shooters / floor spacers. If Fred or Gary need to sit or are out, we need more help.

I think Svi was supposed to be that guy and he was terrible.

Our front office has been terrible with free agency though. Not including UDFA's, the last win in free agency I think was Chris Boucher. And maybe Bismack Biyombo before that, and that was in 2015.
          It's never a sure thing but I feel pretty good betting on the the Raps' development system. It's one thing if it was a guy like McCaw where you never saw what management saw, with Flynn you've seen what he is capable of if you watched him in college or with 905. He just needs to translate that to his NBA minutes. He's a much better shooter than what he's shown so far. With Banton, he's got all the physical tools but needs to develop the skills and IQ.

I'm through blaming the front office for not being able to land prime free agents. Even Colangelo with all his father's connections was only ever able to land us C level guys like Hedo, Carrol and the long past his best days in Jermaine O'neal. Maybe that is a notch better than what the current front office has done, but certainly debatable. It's been long discussed that Americans don't want to play for the Canadian club, the weather isn't what it is in LA etc. It hasn't stopped the front office from trying different avenues to win a title.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

It's never a sure thing but I feel pretty good betting on the the Raps' development system. It's one thing if it was a guy like McCaw where you never saw what management saw, with Flynn you've seen what he is capable of if you watched him in college or with 905. He just needs to translate that to his NBA minutes. He's a much better shooter than what he's shown so far. With Banton, he's got all the physical tools but needs to develop the skills and IQ.

I'm through blaming the front office for not being able to land prime free agents. Even Colangelo with all his father's connections was only ever able to land us C level guys like Hedo, Carrol and the long past his best days in Jermaine O'neal. Maybe that is a notch better than what the current front office has done, but certainly debatable. It's been long discussed that Americans don't want to play for the Canadian club, the weather isn't what it is in LA etc. It hasn't stopped the front office from trying different avenues to win a title.
            I get the anti-Canada stuff, but I think that's an excuse now. Jays don't have that problem. My concern however isn't with the big dollar players. I'm talking about just the mid-level / bae-level guys.

Colangelo at least got us guys like Parker, Garbajosa, Rasho, Pops, Jack and Kleiza. Nothing spectacular, but these guys were pretty useful. Masai's list is pretty weak. I have Biyombo and Boucher. Anyone else? Maybe RHJ? Psycho-T?

Hopefully this year will be different. I hope they can finally knock one signing out of the park. Let's not get another Baynes/Svi/McCaw/Stanley type of player.

Comment

I get the anti-Canada stuff, but I think that's an excuse now. Jays don't have that problem. My concern however isn't with the big dollar players. I'm talking about just the mid-level / bae-level guys.

Colangelo at least got us guys like Parker, Garbajosa, Rasho, Pops, Jack and Kleiza. Nothing spectacular, but these guys were pretty useful. Masai's list is pretty weak. I have Biyombo and Boucher. Anyone else? Maybe RHJ? Psycho-T?

Hopefully this year will be different. I hope they can finally knock one signing out of the park. Let's not get another Baynes/Svi/McCaw/Stanley type of player.
              Please don’t ever remind me of Kleiza

Pops however I will always love

Comment

Jays don't have that problem cause they can outbid anyone for a player if they want. There are no max contracts, caps or limits on years. If the NBA was like MLB, Raps would be able to sign more free agents by offering longer contracts at higher dollar values (e.g. George Springer, Ryu or Gausman). Problem in the NBA is that almost all good free agents will have several teams offering them very similar or identical deals and so players are going to be inclined to consider other factors like weather, etc. Baseball also has a very strong culture of $1 more that is driven by the PA/agents (for a host of reasons) and that is not nearly as prevalent in the NBA.

This is really felt with things like the MLE because the top candidates are likely going to get at least a couple full MLE offers, so it's much harder to get those players.

Comment

• FA have been tough with Masai admittedly.

Biyombo was a huge W, Boucher was good, Cory Jo was good, Miles played his role, Scola played his role. James Johnson was decent.

Thats pretty much it. Almost all our signings were very cheap though. Only miss on a big signing was Demarre.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                    FA have been tough with Masai admittedly.

Biyombo was a huge W, Boucher was good, Cory Jo was good, Miles played his role, Scola played his role. James Johnson was decent.

Thats pretty much it. Almost all our signings were very cheap though. Only miss on a big signing was Demarre.
                    Forgot about Miles and JJ (who Bryan traded for and Masai then re-signed after he left). But CoJo wasn't that good at all. If Kleiza was bad, then Scola shouldn't count either lol.

I'm just hoping we get someone decent this time around. We need a win in free agency. Even a small one.

Comment

I mean those guys you listed were for the most part from other leagues and not a lot of other teams bidding on them. Like Slaw has already said it's not like Baseball where the same good players are all receiving the same offers and can take other things into consideration like location, weather, taxes or whatever.

Comment

• CoJo’s first year was very good

Seemed like he got worse after that though

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Jays don't have that problem cause they can outbid anyone for a player if they want. There are no max contracts, caps or limits on years. If the NBA was like MLB, Raps would be able to sign more free agents by offering longer contracts at higher dollar values (e.g. George Springer, Ryu or Gausman). Problem in the NBA is that almost all good free agents will have several teams offering them very similar or identical deals and so players are going to be inclined to consider other factors like weather, etc. Baseball also has a very strong culture of $1 more that is driven by the PA/agents (for a host of reasons) and that is not nearly as prevalent in the NBA.

This is really felt with things like the MLE because the top candidates are likely going to get at least a couple full MLE offers, so it's much harder to get those players.
                          Good points.. there are a lot of teams that are borderline tax teams that can only pay for the tax payer mid level.. so the market is not as big for full mid-level guys.

We'll see what happens this off season. I just hope we don't end up with another stiff that hurts the team more than helps it.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

I mean those guys you listed were for the most part from other leagues and not a lot of other teams bidding on them. Like Slaw has already said it's not like Baseball where the same good players are all receiving the same offers and can take other things into consideration like location, weather, taxes or whatever.
                            Toronto doesn't have a weather problem during the baseball season, unlike the NBA. In fact, it's probably some of the best weather you can get in North America through the summer... not stinking hot like Arizona & Texas, or humid like Florida. And the city really comes alive with lots to do.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
                              FA have been tough with Masai admittedly.

Birch, FVV, Terence Davis, Cam Payne and Oshae Brissett were all signed as free agents by Masai.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Birch, FVV, Terence Davis, Cam Payne and Oshae Brissett were all signed as free agents by Masai.
                                We kick ass in the UDFA department.

Not quite sure Birch is considered a win IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X