Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

In theory I obviously agree with you. The future success of this team depends on Scottie and his growth as a ball handler and focal point of an offence.

But we also have an all nba guy, an all star and two legit guys outside of that on the roster and would have to go through the growing pains of Scottie learning to be a focal point. Our guys seem to want to win and win now, just hope they realize that if we truly want to compete for championships any time soon they’ll have to relinquish a bit of that control to Scottie at the cost of wins in the short term.
    I remain to be convinced there would be any significant cost to wins. You'd still want a lot of Pascal, but Fred and OG operating off ball is probably a higher current-value proposition than letting them initiate offence, though they should still let OG play around in that sandbox to see if he has another level to his game.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I remain to be convinced there would be any significant cost to wins. You'd still want a lot of Pascal, but Fred and OG operating off ball is probably a higher current-value proposition than letting them initiate offence, though they should still let OG play around in that sandbox to see if he has another level to his game.
      Only offence initiating I want to see more of from OG is him operating out of the post. Seems this year he really got comfortable attacking smaller matchups and waiting for the double to come and find cutters when it does. Want to see him evolve that to finding shooters on the other side of the floor as well.

Fred I honestly don’t know what to say about. He’s never really been a guy that creates for others at a great level and he truly might never be.

Comment

• Are we playing small ball with precious at C?

I don't think so.

Look at the remaining playoff teams, nearly half play a C same size or smaller than Precious. Golden State starts Draymond at C and Precious is bigger than him. Celtics start Horford at C and Precious is the same size. Mavs start Powell and Precious is the same size.

Jackson, Bam, Lopez, Ayton and Embiid are the only starting C bigger than Precious.

I think we're fine starting Precious and having a bigger C to bring off the bench as needed. Which is Birch for now but I'm definitely cool with an upgrade there if possible.

Bench scoring and shooting are the biggest concerns. That gets partially addressed by moving Trent to the bench. Can be further addressed with the draft pick and bringing back Harris.

If we can move anyone outside of Fred, Scottie, OG, Pascal, and Precious to bring back a shooter who plays good defense I think that's the move to make.

Trent is our big trade chip. Flynn is a sweetener. Boucher and Thad can be trade ballast if needed. Won't be upset if don't make any trades, but we need to nail this draft pick. Missing on Bruno and Flynn is why we don't have depth.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Based on everythign they've publicly said, there is no way they are trading FVV or Achiuwa even over Pascal or OG. Trent or Bucher maybe for the right return, they're open to.

The "untradeable" core is those first four plus Scott. jmo
          I would say you are reading the tea leaves correctly.

Comment

• Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
              Are we playing small ball with precious at C?

I don't think so.

Look at the remaining playoff teams, nearly half play a C same size or smaller than Precious. Golden State starts Draymond at C and Precious is bigger than him. Celtics start Horford at C and Precious is the same size. Mavs start Powell and Precious is the same size.

Jackson, Bam, Lopez, Ayton and Embiid are the only starting C bigger than Precious.

I think we're fine starting Precious and having a bigger C to bring off the bench as needed. Which is Birch for now but I'm definitely cool with an upgrade there if possible.
              This is where perspective is funny.

You just said that every remaining playoff team but one has a C the same size or bigger than Achiuwa and used that as an argument that we aren't going small Then you list 5 players still in the playoffs bigger than him to bolster the counter argument

And the only team smaller @ C is GS and they sure don't need a hulking C more than every other team out there. Even at that, every team remaining in the playoffs had better results than we did! It's true people only see what they want to see.

I'm not arguing it, because I agree that we're a young team on the upswing and those results might change in a year or two. I'm OK if we start Precious at C and just use Birch to start against the Embiid's and absorb a few fouls but would like an upgrade there if possible.
              Last edited by G__Deane; Thu May 12, 2022, 09:27 PM.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                Are we playing small ball with precious at C?

I don't think so.

Bench scoring and shooting are the biggest concerns. That gets partially addressed by moving Trent to the bench. Can be further addressed with the draft pick and bringing back Harris.

If we can move anyone outside of Fred, Scottie, OG, Pascal, and Precious to bring back a shooter who plays good defense I think that's the move to make.

Trent is our big trade chip. Flynn is a sweetener. Boucher and Thad can be trade ballast if needed. Won't be upset if don't make any trades, but we need to nail this draft pick. Missing on Bruno and Flynn is why we don't have depth.
                Don’t think anyone considers Precious at the 5 as small. When we say small ball 5 I’m assuming everyone means FVV—GTJ—OG—Scottie—Pascal, which 100% would be considered small.

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post

Don’t think anyone considers Precious at the 5 as small. When we say small ball 5 I’m assuming everyone means FVV—GTJ—OG—Scottie—Pascal, which 100% would be considered small.
                  I think we should be playing big but with Precious as the 5

Comment

• Will Joel Embiid ask the Sixers that he wants out?

Building around Scottie and Joel is a dream.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post
                      Will Joel Embiid ask the Sixers that he wants out?

Building around Scottie and Joel is a dream.
                      As crazy as it sounds building around a C, even a guy that is MVP level good like Embiid or Jokic hasn't resulted in a championship for a long while now.

Closest players that could be considered bigs that have won are the Bucks and Lakers, but nobody really considers Giannis and AD as C's.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

As crazy as it sounds building around a C, even a guy that is MVP level good like Embiid or Jokic hasn't resulted in a championship for a long while now.

Closest players that could be considered bigs that have won are the Bucks and Lakers, but nobody really considers Giannis and AD as C's.
                        Well we know it's a Guard driven league but it sure hurts when the C is dropping 25 and 15 on you lol

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

This is where perspective is funny.

You just said that every remaining playoff team but one has a C the same size or bigger than Achiuwa and used that as an argument that we aren't going small Then you list 5 players still in the playoffs bigger than him to bolster the counter argument

And the only team smaller @ C is GS and they sure don't need a hulking C more than every other team out there. Even at that, every team remaining in the playoffs had better results than we did! It's true people only see what they want to see.

I'm not arguing it, because I agree that we're a young team on the upswing and those results might change in a year or two. I'm OK if we start Precious at C and just use Birch to start against the Embiid's and absorb a few fouls but would like an upgrade there if possible.
                          Speaking of perspective and seeing what you want. You completely changed my words so you could argue with something I didn't say. Please re read.

I did not say "every remaining playoff team." Didn't say that anywhere.

I said "nearly half of the remaining playoff teams".

3 out of 8 is nearly half.

Hence why I listed 5 C that are bigger, because 3 aren't.

If you're gonna try to dissect my post at least read and quote it correctly.

Comment

• I would be looking at a bonafide 7 footer in the discount bin. Someone who hasn't lived up to the hype, but yet still can bang around with the 4-8 true centres around the league.

A couple guys that kind of fit the build. (Don't check all the boxes which is why they are in the discount bin)
                            Demarcus Cousins
                            Bol Bol
                            Mo Bamba
                            Thon Maker
                            Drummond
                            Tristan Thompson
                            Moses Brown
                            Bagley
                            Portis
                            Noel
                            Robinson
                            Bryant
                            Biyombo
                            McGee

This way we spend little of our Roster budget on a position, that on most nights, we will not utilize in the old school definition of a true centre.

This allows us to chase more spot up shooting and maybe a back up pg with the remaining budget.

The core of Scottie, Precious, Pascal and OG is so versatile. Pair them with a big and it's a monstrous lineup. Pair them with Freddy or Trent and they are playing small ball.

It would just be nice to have the option to play monstrous. Currently we don't. It would also be nice to do so on the cheap as I don't think that it would be in the game plan most nights.

Comment

• Shredder wrote: View Post
                              I would be looking at a bonafide 7 footer in the discount bin. Someone who hasn't lived up to the hype, but yet still can bang around with the 4-8 true centres around the league.

A couple guys that kind of fit the build. (Don't check all the boxes which is why they are in the discount bin)
                              Demarcus Cousins
                              Bol Bol
                              Mo Bamba
                              Thon Maker
                              Drummond
                              Tristan Thompson
                              Moses Brown
                              Bagley
                              Portis
                              Noel
                              Robinson
                              Bryant
                              Biyombo
                              McGee

This way we spend little of our Roster budget on a position, that on most nights, we will not utilize in the old school definition of a true centre.

This allows us to chase more spot up shooting and maybe a back up pg with the remaining budget.

The core of Scottie, Precious, Pascal and OG is so versatile. Pair them with a big and it's a monstrous lineup. Pair them with Freddy or Trent and they are playing small ball.

It would just be nice to have the option to play monstrous. Currently we don't. It would also be nice to do so on the cheap as I don't think that it would be in the game plan most nights.
                              Want to add Aaron Baynes or Alex Len to that list?

I don't think Masai is really looking for a big. He won't turn one down but I think 1 and 1a are back up PG and shooting

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

Want to add Aaron Baynes or Alex Len to that list?

I don't think Masai is really looking for a big. He won't turn one down but I think 1 and 1a are back up PG and shooting
                                I am curious if Makur Makur Thons cousin will be decent?

Comment

Working...
                                X