X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's time.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post

Want to add Aaron Baynes or Alex Len to that list?

I don't think Masai is really looking for a big. He won't turn one down but I think 1 and 1a are back up PG and shooting
      I'm with you. Can't be going into the playoffs with Freddy hobbled again because there are no decent back up's and he has to play 40 mins. a game.

After that, position wise yeah maybe they can look at another C, but I'd rather have a tough, mobile guy built like Precious than a 7 footer who is too big and too slow or a string bean. They need to be tough, willing to bang, but also mobile.

Comment

• Biyombo actually would be really interesting.

Suns will probably value McGee more and Biyombo obviously has history with us. He would be fairly cheap, provides the rim protection and lob threat, quick enough to somewhat fit our schemes defensively if we stick to switching it all.

I would get behind that for sure

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
          Biyombo actually would be really interesting.

Suns will probably value McGee more and Biyombo obviously has history with us. He would be fairly cheap, provides the rim protection and lob threat, quick enough to somewhat fit our schemes defensively if we stick to switching it all.

I would get behind that for sure
          Biyombo is an upgrade over Birch so he would work well if we can dump Birch.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Biyombo is an upgrade over Birch so he would work well if we can dump Birch.
            I’d take him even if we can’t dump Birch

He could probably be had for biannual or just a vet min

Comment

• Would help a massive amount on the defensive rebounding issues as well.

Then we can use the MLE on shooting/scoring depth as opposed to wasting it on a big

Comment

• Biyombo might even be happy to do the Raptors a favour since his last big contract was a direct result of the year they let him play in TO. He made his fortune off of that ones season. What did he sign? 4 x $15 million?

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                  Biyombo might even be happy to do the Raptors a favour since his last big contract was a direct result of the year they let him play in TO. He made his fortune off of that ones season. What did he sign? 4 x $15 million?
                  4 x 18 iirc

Think I remember 72m specifically

Comment

• Did a quick search to see who would fit contract wise and need wise as a swap in exchange for Trent + Birch. Got 3 really good options here and broke them down by pros and cons and why the other team would do it.

1.) Malcom Brogdon
                    Pros: Gives us a backup PG/SG to help take the load off Fred/Scottie and provides much needed bench scoring. Can step in as a more than capable starter in case of injuries or rest days. Good both on and off ball. Same height as Trent but he's bigger and should be more versatile defensively. Has been a much better defender than Trent throughout his career. Gets to line fairly consistently.

Cons: He turns 30 in December and is under contract though age 32. Will there be a drop off in play? Had a down shooting year, was it just this season or is it permanent? Extensive injury history. Has never played more than 64 games in a season. Only played 36 games last year. Seems foolish to expect more than 60 games out of him. Just had worst defensive season of his career, was it because Indy sucks or is he declining?

Verdict: Brogdon seems like a great fit for what we need, and I'd expect his defense to improve on Toronto just like Trent's did. If we can get by the age and injury history this trade makes a ton of sense for us. It makes sense for Indy too as they get younger (they're going full youth now) and healthier and add a much needed bench big in Birch (not just filler for Indy).

2.) Jerami Grant
                    Pros: Fits the profile of our offense being a 6'8 SF. Gets to the line a ton. Good shooter and scorer. Much better and more versatile defender than Trent. Good starter who could fill in for nearly anyone in our starting lineup if needed. Gives Nurse another 6'8 player who can shoot and score and defend. Used to come off the bench so would be comfortable in that situation (if he's willing to do it again).

Cons: Only 1 year left on his deal and he's 28 so we'd need to resign him after next season, would we want to invest in a 28 year old looking for a big contract? Not a playmaker so doesn't alleviate backup PG concerns. Injury history, only played 47 games last season and 54 the season before that (been healthy otherwise).

Verdict: Grant seems like a great fit for what we need. Detroit is all in on youth so swapping Grant for Trent makes sense. They'd much rather resign Trent to a long term deal after next season than Grant since he fits their timeline much better. Bey is their SF and on a rookie deal and only 23 so they can afford to lose Grant. Trent is a huge upgrade at SG for Detroit over Cojo/Hayes/Diallo and would fit nice between Cunningham and Bey. Birch gives Detroit much needed depth at C.

3.) Terry Rozier
                    Pros: Gives us an excellent backup PG/SG who is a great shooter and scorer. Small but capable defender, could do a lot of what Fred does while Fred is on the bench (or hurt), and they could play off each other in small ball lineups. Signed to a reasonable deal through the 25-26 season when he turns 31, so we get all of his prime years. Stays healthy, no major injury concerns. Used to come off the bench so should be comfortable in that role and a very good starter when needed for that as well.

Cons: He's small so won't be able to guard more than 1s and 2s. Long term deal could be seen as a minus if we want future cap space (not a concern for me personally). Can he play with Fred at the same time? If not how do we find enough minutes for both? Doesn't fit our 6'9 do everything player model.

Verdict: Rozier fills some of our biggest needs and seems like a good not great fit. It makes sense for Charlotte because they get a much bigger and younger starting SG to replace Rozier who they currently have at SG. Trent fits their timeline much better being close in age to Ball. Charlotte doesn't have a true SG on the roster so Trent fills a big need for them. Birch adds needed C depth and could fight for their starting spot (they start Plumlee).

Comment

Did a quick search to see who would fit contract wise and need wise as a swap in exchange for Trent + Birch. Got 3 really good options here and broke them down by pros and cons and why the other team would do it.

1.) Malcom Brogdon
                      Pros: Gives us a backup PG/SG to help take the load off Fred/Scottie and provides much needed bench scoring. Can step in as a more than capable starter in case of injuries or rest days. Good both on and off ball. Same height as Trent but he's bigger and should be more versatile defensively. Has been a much better defender than Trent throughout his career. Gets to line fairly consistently.

Cons: He turns 30 in December and is under contract though age 32. Will there be a drop off in play? Had a down shooting year, was it just this season or is it permanent? Extensive injury history. Has never played more than 64 games in a season. Only played 36 games last year. Seems foolish to expect more than 60 games out of him. Just had worst defensive season of his career, was it because Indy sucks or is he declining?

Verdict: Brogdon seems like a great fit for what we need, and I'd expect his defense to improve on Toronto just like Trent's did. If we can get by the age and injury history this trade makes a ton of sense for us. It makes sense for Indy too as they get younger (they're going full youth now) and healthier and add a much needed bench big in Birch (not just filler for Indy).

2.) Jerami Grant
                      Pros: Fits the profile of our offense being a 6'8 SF. Gets to the line a ton. Good shooter and scorer. Much better and more versatile defender than Trent. Good starter who could fill in for nearly anyone in our starting lineup if needed. Gives Nurse another 6'8 player who can shoot and score and defend. Used to come off the bench so would be comfortable in that situation (if he's willing to do it again).

Cons: Only 1 year left on his deal and he's 28 so we'd need to resign him after next season, would we want to invest in a 28 year old looking for a big contract? Not a playmaker so doesn't alleviate backup PG concerns. Injury history, only played 47 games last season and 54 the season before that (been healthy otherwise).

Verdict: Grant seems like a great fit for what we need. Detroit is all in on youth so swapping Grant for Trent makes sense. They'd much rather resign Trent to a long term deal after next season than Grant since he fits their timeline much better. Bey is their SF and on a rookie deal and only 23 so they can afford to lose Grant. Trent is a huge upgrade at SG for Detroit over Cojo/Hayes/Diallo and would fit nice between Cunningham and Bey. Birch gives Detroit much needed depth at C.

3.) Terry Rozier
                      Pros: Gives us an excellent backup PG/SG who is a great shooter and scorer. Small but capable defender, could do a lot of what Fred does while Fred is on the bench (or hurt), and they could play off each other in small ball lineups. Signed to a reasonable deal through the 25-26 season when he turns 31, so we get all of his prime years. Stays healthy, no major injury concerns. Used to come off the bench so should be comfortable in that role and a very good starter when needed for that as well.

Cons: He's small so won't be able to guard more than 1s and 2s. Long term deal could be seen as a minus if we want future cap space (not a concern for me personally). Can he play with Fred at the same time? If not how do we find enough minutes for both? Doesn't fit our 6'9 do everything player model.

Verdict: Rozier fills some of our biggest needs and seems like a good not great fit. It makes sense for Charlotte because they get a much bigger and younger starting SG to replace Rozier who they currently have at SG. Trent fits their timeline much better being close in age to Ball. Charlotte doesn't have a true SG on the roster so Trent fills a big need for them. Birch adds needed C depth and could fight for their starting spot (they start Plumlee).
                      Brogdon is a bit unlucky with the injury history but DAMN he is good. Especially on the defensive end.

Not interested in Scary Terry. Grant is a yes and a yes for me.

Comment

• Forgot about jerami grant. He fits the age and wingspan of the core. Good player. Probably slides in as our 3/4 option after Pascal, scottie, even more off ball action for fred and og (good!) And insulates us a little more from injury and rest days as he's a clear step up from GTJ in initiating offense. Also it's cades team now and there's young guys around him.

If they take Gary, khem and this year's pick I'd do it. That would maybe get outbid by someone else.
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Brogdon is a bit unlucky with the injury history but DAMN he is good. Especially on the defensive end.

Not interested in Scary Terry. Grant is a yes and a yes for me.
                          Instead of the above trade FVV + Boucher for Jamal Murray

Trade Birch + Flynn or Banton for Alex Burks.

sign Dedman from the Heat or Biyombo for 3/$12 Million.

Extend Thad Young 2/$13 Million.

Than use your MLE wisely. Draft anyone Masai wants.

Murray, Trent Jr., Scottie, OG, Siakam
                          Scottie, Burks, Thad Young, Precious, Dedman / Biyombo
                          There is 9 player rotation + MLE.
                          The rest does not matter.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
                            Forgot about jerami grant. He fits the age and wingspan of the core. Good player. Probably slides in as our 3/4 option after Pascal, scottie, even more off ball action for fred and og (good!) And insulates us a little more from injury and rest days as he's a clear step up from GTJ in initiating offense. Also it's cades team now and there's young guys around him.

If they take Gary, khem and this year's pick I'd do it. That would maybe get outbid by someone else.
                            I don't think we need to include a pick here. Trent is a lot younger and has comparable stats and fits better for them. Detroit has a lot of incentive to move Grant this offseason since his contract is up after next season and it makes no sense for them to bring him back considering their timeline. I don't see anyone making a better offer, comparable sure but not better.

We need to keep our pick, we need cheap bench depth. We've already lost too many picks in the past and missed on 2 1sts in Bruno and Flynn so we can't keep missing / trading our picks.

Comment

I don't think we need to include a pick here. Trent is a lot younger and has comparable stats and fits better for them. Detroit has a lot of incentive to move Grant this offseason since his contract is up after next season and it makes no sense for them to bring him back considering their timeline. I don't see anyone making a better offer, comparable sure but not better.

We need to keep our pick, we need cheap bench depth. We've already lost too many picks in the past and missed on 2 1sts in Bruno and Flynn so we can't keep missing / trading our picks.
                              Yeah you're right, we do need the pick for cheap depth. Best I can do is Gary
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Birch to Detroit makes sense.. they love bringing in Canadians as much as we do (Olynyk, CoJo and Lyles were all there just this past season). Not sold on Grant though as he's basically OG. I know it's all positionless but to a point. We need 3pt shooting and Grant isn't really good there. So we'd lose a really good floor spacer for one that isn't.

Would Malcolm play for Nate? Was he one of the Pacers that wanted him gone? He's a playoff guy. The one dude I hated playing against the Bucks in '19. But yeah that injury history sucks. But he's in the same draft class as Pascal/Fred. He's older, but has the same experience as those guys. So fits the core from that perspective. He's had a down couple of years in Indiana so his trade value has gone south.

I earlier had mentioned him but swapped OG for Myles Turner as well in a 2 for 3 trade. Would suck to lose OG, but roster would be better balanced. Would get a real 5 and then can put Scottie in at the 3 permanently:

Turner/Pascal/Scottie/Brogdon/FVV

As for Scary Terry.. nah, would prefer Gary actually.

Comment

Working...
                                X