Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

Masai said we wouldn't be a treadmill team. We went from champion to 4th pick to 5 seed. How is this a treadmill?
    would you trade og and trent for Ayton?

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I am not advocating for a point guard. My deal with rudy is the result of a number of things. For one he routinely gets the ball stripped after rebounds. He is turnover prone. Especially when you compare his numbers to other centers who do twice as much ball handling.. he is turn over prone.

He doesn't really offer much on offence. They say he is a role threat but he isn't super athletic other than the fact that he is tall so he actually sometimes gets it blocked... so its not like he is shaq or giannis down low where he is powering down on guys. He is really bad offensively as a decision maker and his only role is basically a permanent screener. We don't even do enough pick and roll as is and that is the only way to turn him into a threat. he simply IS not guarded on that end outside of 3 feet. So offensively it is tough because you will change your entire offensive philosophy of pushing the pace after a turn over because anyone can take the ball and run.. for a much more slower methodical style.

He is insane on defence yes but to make him truly effective again you are changing the your defensive style to more of a drop coverage because rudy has slow foot speed. Not the worst idea but why do it if you dont' have to. I do think it actually reduces your ability to be as versatile as a defensive team because you can't switch rudy out on the perimeter in the same way you can for a guy like precious. Precious isn't there yet but he showed more than just flashes on the defensive end.

I basically believe in the positionless basketball philosophy more than I believe in rudy gobert. Also we had lineups ALREADY this year that were 100th percentile so #1 in defensive ability... the problem was on the offensive end where we were 2nd percentile with the same line up. So I don't think we necessarily need another guy who is basically a glorified rim protector. For that much money too. If we are spending max money I'd rather chase a different guy or even go after Mo Bamba. Although I am not too keen on Mo Bamba right now but I am going to watch more film about him soon.

I think the offensive limitations are just too much and I think that we have shown we don't need a center to answer the problems. We didn't lose the series because we didn't have a guy who could guard Embiid. We lost the series because we put smaller defenders on harden and doubled on harden too often early on in the first 2 games of the series leading us to dig a hole for ourselves that was difficult to climb out.

Look at Miami. They didn't have a guy who is 7 feet that they had to put on embiid. Look at Boston beating Giannis. They have smaller centers that are athletic and long and smart.

I think we have more than enough to handle centers ... I think we have developed a style that can work. Even if you wanted to go down the direction of getting a center that is fine but I don't think we need to spend 35-40 million on one guy for that position UNLESS that guy is capable of being a two way player. I suppose yes I am advocating for donovan Mitchell but I think his defense in a different system could improve but even still I think I trust nurse and his system enough to invest in players that fit the system.
      a lot to unpack first agree with the turnovers needs improvements and a lot of those are fouls but ya.

”rudy has no offense” well you said it yourself his offense is 3 feet. hey rudy crash the boards. rudy doesn’t have to be a on ball screener. if you use him to get guys open on the weak side for back doors that is extremely effective.

transition basketball is not a thing in the playoffs and we shouldn’t be trying to build our team around that.

our defence and rebounding were not good last year. we were giving up almost 110 pts a game our rebounding was dead last. that needs to change precious didn’t do anything that could make me think he could anchor a team. the defence has to change regardless. everyone loves our box and .well we can run a diamond and one now. basically what they did with gasol. when gasol did go out to the perimeter he had help on the back end. no difference. the are defensive schemes designed to keep the center protection the key and our long wings taking away everything else.

if myles turner is healthy and available then that’s my guy. like fred said you need to have that option not having the option is why we lost. i think you forget that harden killing us is because we had to throw multi bodies at embid.

and last yes we need a SG but that shouldn’t stop the raptors from upgrading.

Comment

for those 2 yes but he is not a good enough shot blocker for the team

Comment

• I would trade for a sharp shooter first before I trade for a center

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post
            I would trade for a sharp shooter first before I trade for a center

his defence needs work we can fix that but his shooting. my comp caris levert with better footwork and stroke. there is your shooter

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

a lot to unpack first agree with the turnovers needs improvements and a lot of those are fouls but ya.

”rudy has no offense” well you said it yourself his offense is 3 feet. hey rudy crash the boards. rudy doesn’t have to be a on ball screener. if you use him to get guys open on the weak side for back doors that is extremely effective.

transition basketball is not a thing in the playoffs and we shouldn’t be trying to build our team around that.

our defence and rebounding were not good last year. we were giving up almost 110 pts a game our rebounding was dead last. that needs to change precious didn’t do anything that could make me think he could anchor a team. the defence has to change regardless. everyone loves our box and .well we can run a diamond and one now. basically what they did with gasol. when gasol did go out to the perimeter he had help on the back end. no difference. the are defensive schemes designed to keep the center protection the key and our long wings taking away everything else.

if myles turner is healthy and available then that’s my guy. like fred said you need to have that option not having the option is why we lost. i think you forget that harden killing us is because we had to throw multi bodies at embid.

and last yes we need a SG but that shouldn’t stop the raptors from upgrading.
              the issue is you can scheme this out. Backdoor cuts usually happen differently than this not as easy when you don't have to cover one of those guys because ou can play drop coverage against him. also anytime he is even moderately defended it is bad. Since January our defence was top 5. Gasol was much more... mobile and offered passing on the otherside that was elite elite elite. look if he could just pass or shoot or dribble ONE of those 3 skills i'd be more open to it.

Harden killed us because we double teamed him early on in the series and it opened up his passing until the 3rd game. in game 6 he killed us because he targeted trent as a defender every single damn time town the floor.. when we stopped putting fredrico or trent and we put og, scottie or pascal harden had trouble with his shot. we also had a chance to rely on our one to one defence to longer before sending help off the corners.

Comment

its crazy though..... the transition happened so fast.

Age is a slippery slope. It starts with nagging injuries.

Comment

the issue is you can scheme this out. Backdoor cuts usually happen differently than this not as easy when you don't have to cover one of those guys because ou can play drop coverage against him. also anytime he is even moderately defended it is bad. Since January our defence was top 5. Gasol was much more... mobile and offered passing on the otherside that was elite elite elite. look if he could just pass or shoot or dribble ONE of those 3 skills i'd be more open to it.

Harden killed us because we double teamed him early on in the series and it opened up his passing until the 3rd game. in game 6 he killed us because he targeted trent as a defender every single damn time town the floor.. when we stopped putting fredrico or trent and we put og, scottie or pascal harden had trouble with his shot. we also had a chance to rely on our one to one defence to longer before sending help off the corners.
                  Remember that last regular season game with Philly, when we double-teamed both Embiid & Harden? That was fool's gold.

Kendrick Perkins called out Nurse and people clowned him. Turns out Perk was right. Sixers role players were locked and loaded for the over-aggressive double teams with wide open shots and cuts to the basket to start the series. We basically handed them the first 2 games on a silver platter, until Nurse made the defensive adjustments to dial down the aggression in game 3.

And on offense, it took way too long to run Pascal PnRs with a few screens to get him space to operate, instead of putting him on an island to beat 2-3 defenders from the perimeter with ISOs.

In a nutshell: Nurse over-coached defense and under-coached offense pretty much all season, and then he finally made the correct adjustments when the season was on the line.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

Masai said he wouldn't let us be there.....
                    People say many many things at pressers.

There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

Yes.
                      There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                      - TGO

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                        People seem to think Trent is terrible yet want to trade him for upgrades.
                        Trent and Flynn and Yuta for Anthony Davis .....
                        I'd give Trent etc. up for AD + picks.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post

I'd give Trent etc. up for AD + picks.
                          Would you trade Trent for AD's street clothes?

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Age is a slippery slope. It starts with nagging injuries.
                            but an entire whole... generation all at once it makes sense but its wild.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

for those 2 yes but he is not a good enough shot blocker for the team
                              but is he good enough defensively to deter shots at the rim in the first place?

Comment

• I thought I wanted Ayton... I don't want him anymore...

Anyone think the Suns might be trading Bridges or Johnson though?

Comment

Working...
                                X