Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I mean Dan said it. I will say it in more simple terms. We literally brought in a ton of one rotation guys this year. Many didn't pan out but yeah. Nurse's system is a very complex and difficult system and it takes time to learn and get better at it. It is a system that is built for playoffs so there is a lot of bumps along the way to learn. It requires everyone in the system to be high IQ players on the defensive end. He spent 75% of training camp on this for a reason. You also outlined Marc Gasol. Yes him lowry, and kawhi were all time greats as a defensive trio. Serge less so but still solid. We have good defensive talent in Siakam, OG, and Fred. Scottie has shown flashes but he isn't quite there yet. Precious too. When everyone finally started clicking mid way through the year we had a top 5 defence.

Not sure what else you expect or would like.
    Built for the playoffs? lol. That's the biggest myth around. Nurse abandoned a lot of the aggressing double-teaming in the playoffs after the Sixers were ready to exploit our system for wiiiide open 3's. Just like with Casey, the system can be easily game-planned against. After 3 years, teams have figured out the counters. We basically punted games 1 & 2 in Philly until Nurse had the hubris to dial back the aggression... out of sheer survival.

We were blown TF out, 3 times, and gave up a 121 ORTG in the playoffs.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Built for the playoffs? lol. That's the biggest myth around. Nurse abandoned a lot of the aggressing double-teaming in the playoffs after the Sixers were ready to exploit our system for wiiiide open 3's. Just like with Casey, the system can be easily game-planned against. After 3 years, teams have figured out the counters. We basically punted games 1 & 2 in Philly until Nurse had the hubris to dial back the aggression... out of sheer survival.
      Are we calling adjustments "sheer survival" now?

Raptors still played aggressively on defense, they just toned it down on Harden who was the reason why Sixers were getting open shots.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Are we calling adjustments "sheer survival" now?

Raptors still played aggressively on defense, they just toned it down on Harden who was the reason why Sixers were getting open shots.
        No, but not calling 3 blowouts and a 121 ORTG “built for the playoffs” either.

They also sold out less on Embiid. And why did those “adjustments” take 2 games? It was easy to see how the system was flawed to begin with.
        Last edited by golden; Thu Jun 2, 2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

No, but not calling 3 blowouts and a 121 ORTG “built for the playoffs” either.

They also sold out less on Embiid. And why did those “adjustments” take 2 games? It was easy to see how the system was flawed to begin with.
          Again, the system being clearly meant for the playoffs is not invalidated by our injury-ridden team having a league-average defensive performance against a team that was very good offensively for the second half of the season.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• All this talk is fun but none of Pascal, Scotty, OG, Achiuwa or Fred is being traded. Possible but I'd be surprised if they move Trent too. Yes, if a Kawhi came along, Masai would move FVV and/or Trent but that ain't happening.

There will be tweaking around the edges and the bench will look different; zero major changes.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post

There will be tweaking around the edges and the bench will look different; zero major changes.
              Yeah I don't expect any major changes to start the year.

Things may change at the NBA trade deadline but there will be a lot of moving pieces beforehand that will make the decision clearer.

Comment

• Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post
                  The Raptors would just shut down any and all conversation when people call and there's an inevitable salary crunch coming? Hes OG Anunoby not luka donic

"og wants out" then the next day: "dont get mad at me i heard a guy didnt get hung up on when he said his name to the Raptors so I'm right he wants out"

This guy is a clown. Value village shams
                  9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

The Raptors would just shut down any and all conversation when people call and there's an inevitable salary crunch coming? Hes OG Anunoby not luka donic

"og wants out" then the next day: "dont get mad at me i heard a guy didnt get hung up on when he said his name to the Raptors so I'm right he wants out"

To be fair, OG wants out was the headline. In the article, it said rumors are likely coming from external sources rather than OG's camp or the Raptors.

Gotta get the clickbait in somewhere.

Comment

the overall style of switching worked well overall. they still doubled but doubled later in a possession and not quiet as aggressively they didn't completely abandon the overall style. you make it seem like they played a completely different style which they didn't.

Comment

The double teaming was specific to the Philly match up because of Embiid wasn't it? I don't recall them double teaming too often during the regular season. I ask only because their normal, aggressive, man-to-man defense reminds me a lot of Boston's defense. I've been saying for a while the Raps look like they are trying to do the same thing from their roster construction of long, mobile players to the aggressive D.

A big difference being that they've been playing that style for a while where as it's both a new system for most of the roster, and we have lot of first/second year players. It's worth seeing what the defense looks like when the young guys catch up.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Again, the system being clearly meant for the playoffs is not invalidated by our injury-ridden team having a league-average defensive performance against a team that was very good offensively for the second half of the season.
                          no don't mention that one of our top 3 players was injured in the first game of the series that is some how a straw man.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

I'm sure there are OG rumours and I am sure teams would like to get him seeing a buy low opportunity. That part of it reminds me a lot of the Siakam stuff last off season where Pascal was coming off a disappointing campaign and teams leaked their interest in him. I don't see OG being traded because his value to Toronto outweighs his market value and making a trade in those circumstances is impossible (again that part is a lot like Pascal last offseason).

As to whether he wants out, well, who knows? Maybe he does. I don't understand people's motivations for doing what they do and don't care to try.

Is this guy right about it? Who knows? He's right about some stuff and wrong about other stuff, just like all these rumour-mongers. What would be great is if the actual reporters who follow the Raps 365 days a year had any insight on this or did actual reporting rather than cheer lead for the organization 24/7.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

I'm sure there are OG rumours and I am sure teams would like to get him seeing a buy low opportunity. That part of it reminds me a lot of the Siakam stuff last off season where Pascal was coming off a disappointing campaign and teams leaked their interest in him. I don't see OG being traded because his value to Toronto outweighs his market value and making a trade in those circumstances is impossible (again that part is a lot like Pascal last offseason).

As to whether he wants out, well, who knows? Maybe he does. I don't understand people's motivations for doing what they do and don't care to try.

Is this guy right about it? Who knows? He's right about some stuff and wrong about other stuff, just like all these rumour-mongers. What would be great is if the actual reporters who follow the Raps 365 days a year had any insight on this or did actual reporting rather than cheer lead for the organization 24/7.
                              Point being that, the fact that somebody called and didn't get hung up on doesn't prove a thing in relation to being on the block. It's clear the Raptors have 6 guys that they want in a starting lineup, 6 guys all due for eventual big raises. Someones gots ta go, and probably only the ROY is untouchable. I'm not slamming my phone down every time someone asks about an asset, that's terrible relationship building.
                              9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• The 21-22 Raptors weren't built for the playoffs. They wildly over-performed and exceeded expectations but they were never a 'built for the playoffs contender' - that takes years of tinkering and planning and then doing it all over again and again until you get it right.

At times there are legit complaints about the way the Raps play on either end in terms of strategy and tactics but those aren't the reasons they lost to Philly. They lost to the Sixers cause Philly was a better team. Expectations got all out of whack in Raptorland at the end of the regular season - way too much cheer leading in the media and fans out over their skis.

Comment

Working...
                                X