Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

The double teaming was specific to the Philly match up because of Embiid wasn't it? I don't recall them double teaming too often during the regular season. I ask only because their normal, aggressive, man-to-man defense reminds me a lot of Boston's defense. I've been saying for a while the Raps look like they are trying to do the same thing from their roster construction of long, mobile players to the aggressive D.

A big difference being that they've been playing that style for a while where as it's both a new system for most of the roster, and we have lot of first/second year players. It's worth seeing what the defense looks like when the young guys catch up.
    Celtics mostly just straight switching and allow their talented individual defenders to be very aggressive 1 on 1. Occasionally, they will bring another man away from their main cover, but not to the frequency and exaggerated extent that the Raptors do it. It's smart aggression.

And Boston brought in a brand new coaching staff, in case you missed it. Horford said they had to learn new concepts and it finally started to click, post all-star break.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Celtics mostly just straight switching and allow their talented individual defenders to be very aggressive 1 on 1. Occasionally, they will bring another man away from their main cover, but not to the frequency and exaggerated extent that the Raptors do it. It's smart aggression.

And Boston brought in a brand new coaching staff, in case you missed it. Horford said they had to learn new concepts and it finally started to click, post all-star break.
      Boston's DRTG after the all star break was 109.9. 3rd in the league.

Toronto's DRTG after the all star break was 110.2. 5th in the league.

It was the early season difference in their defensive performances that drove their 1st vs 9th rankings, not late season. The Raptors had a "click" defensively far more so than Boston did. It was on offence that Boston suddenly turned everything around. They went from 18th ranked offence to 1st pre vs post all star. Raps had the opposite thing happen, offence fell apart after all star (went from 10th to 19th).

Of course, also, ORTGs change over the course of a season. The Raptors' offence was actually better after the all star break than before (113 vs 111 ORTG), but the league as a whole was MUCH better (avg 115 vs 111), so they slid in the rankings.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Boston's DRTG after the all star break was 109.9. 3rd in the league.

Toronto's DRTG after the all star break was 110.2. 5th in the league.

It was the early season difference in their defensive performances that drove their 1st vs 9th rankings, not late season. The Raptors had a "click" defensively far more so than Boston did. It was on offence that Boston suddenly turned everything around. They went from 18th ranked offence to 1st pre vs post all star. Raps had the opposite thing happen, offence fell apart after all star (went from 10th to 19th).

Of course, also, ORTGs change over the course of a season. The Raptors' offence was actually better after the all star break than before (113 vs 111 ORTG), but the league as a whole was MUCH better (avg 115 vs 111), so they slid in the rankings.
        Well, that's even better defensive coaching by Udoka than I thought. His system was built for the playoffs from Day 1, with a new coaching staff.

Comment

Yup, the former coach hand picked the new one I believe and while there were some changes the concept remained similar. They play aggressive defense that requires a lot of energy, mobility and IQ from their players. Similar to the Raptors except with young guys there is a lack of "smart" aggression.

I just don't think the Raps are running something that is that far off from what the Celtics are doing. The gaps in results can be bridged as the young guys gain experience and we round out the roster with better fitting players. Remember all the talk was about how Ainge held onto Boston's assets for too long and they missed their window. I know I thought that way. It's looking like letting their young guys grow up has done wonders for them.
          Last edited by LJ2; Thu Jun 2, 2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
            The 21-22 Raptors weren't built for the playoffs. They wildly over-performed and exceeded expectations but they were never a 'built for the playoffs contender' - that takes years of tinkering and planning and then doing it all over again and again until you get it right.

At times there are legit complaints about the way the Raps play on either end in terms of strategy and tactics but those aren't the reasons they lost to Philly. They lost to the Sixers cause Philly was a better team. Expectations got all out of whack in Raptorland at the end of the regular season - way too much cheer leading in the media and fans out over their skis.
            I said their defensive style was built for the playoffs. also the way nurse coaches is very much coaching for the playoffs because he typically switches things up all the time sometimes just to try things out during regular season.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Yup, the former coach hand picked the new one I believe and while there were some changes the concept remained similar. They play aggressive defense that requires a lot of energy, mobility and IQ from their players. Similar to the Raptors except with young guys there is a lack of "smart" aggression.

I just don't think the Raps are running something that is that far off from what the Celtics are doing. The gaps in results can be bridged as the young guys gain experience and we round out the roster with better fitting players. Remember all the talk was about how Ainge held onto Boston's assets for too long and they missed their window. I know I though that way. It's looking like letting their young guys grow up has done wonders for them.
              not to mention ime has been rumored for a long time he was a candidate in our search for a new coach too

boston had more continuity on their roster. that isn't the only thing but it does count for a lot.

Comment

Well, that's even better defensive coaching by Udoka than I thought. His system was built for the playoffs from Day 1, with a new coaching staff.
                Or... having veteran players is an easier situation to be in than coaching up rookies and sophomores. Boston had zero rookies get significant minutes. their 9th and 12th guys were sophomores. Raps' most played player this season was a rookie. 6th man was a sophomore. Raps' top 11 players (everyone above 500 MP) combine for 30 years total experience in the league heading into this season. Boston's top 11 players combine for 49 years (and that's removing some of the older rotation pieces they got rid of midseason).

Also... no comment on their late season defence being basically identical in results?
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Or... having veteran players is an easier situation to be in than coaching up rookies and sophomores. Boston had zero rookies get significant minutes. their 9th and 12th guys were sophomores. Raps' most played player this season was a rookie. 6th man was a sophomore. Raps' top 11 players (everyone above 500 MP) combine for 30 years total experience in the league heading into this season. Boston's top 11 players combine for 49 years (and that's removing some of the older rotation pieces they got rid of midseason).

Also... no comment on their late season defence being basically identical in results?
                  yeah there is a big reason why Brad brought back one of his favourites in Al Horford.

Comment

Helps having Horford, a DPOY candidate and the actual DPOY.

Celtics were below 500 at one point before they figured stuff out. It got to the point where "Should Celtics break up Tatum and Brown" headlines were everywhere.

Comment

• Forget about trading OG.
                      If they really want the franchise to go in right direction..I trade Freddy.
                      U need him 2 move on..so Barnes can be the main guy handling the ball.
                      I move Trent 2..but I think nothing is gonna be done, it will be a boring off-season..
                      "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                      My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                        Forget about trading OG.
                        I move Trent 2..but I think nothing is gonna be done, it will be a boring off-season..
                        Well, you are right about one thing, Barnes should be handling the ball a lot more.

Not sure why one would assume that would require moving Fred. They get worse if they move Fred, but I would agree and peg him as the 2nd most likely of the core 5 to be moved, besides Gary. It's just not particularly likely they even move Gary (they should, IMO), let alone Fred.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Do you guys consider Boucher a lock to be back? Would you rather take a look at someone like Bamba?

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
                            Do you guys consider Boucher a lock to be back? Would you rather take a look at someone like Bamba?
                            I would say there is a 75% chance he is back.... I don't think it effects bamba potentially being an MLE candidate but I do think there is a chance that Bamba is priced out of our market.

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                              Forget about trading OG.
                              I predict they try and trade both freddy and trent but find something on trent not freddy

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Helps having Horford, a DPOY candidate and the actual DPOY.

Celtics were below 500 at one point before they figured stuff out. It got to the point where "Should Celtics break up Tatum and Brown" headlines were everywhere.
                                also helps that they traded dennis schroeder and picked up a decent bench piece in white.

Comment

Working...
                                X