Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Fischer is pretty reliable though. He broke a Raptors story last year(I can't remember what it was now), he was also the one that first tweeted last year that the Raptors had serious interest in Scottie Barnes. He was the first one that broke that story. Remember? this board went nuts because a lot of people here wante the Raptors to draft Suggs.
    Yeah, Fischer isn't a bum so there could be something to it. I'd want a star player back for OG and Gobert fits the bill.

Comment

• I don't get what the specific appeal for us would be in a trade built on Gobert for OG (though I understand the abstract rationale for it of maximizing the talent on the team). We are already a little short of outside shooting, and a Gobert-OG based swap would mean that we would need more outside shooting, and have less of it. It would also tax our playmaking ability even further, as OG has multiple spots where he can receive the ball effectively and score (and Gobert doesn't really), and Gobert under the basket on offence would cause problems for drive-and-kick playmaking for Pascal.

If we're trading OG, which I hope we aren't, I'd rather try and swing a trade returning Jarrett Allen (if he's available; I don't expect he is) or DeAndre Ayton via sign-and-trade.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
        I don't get what the specific appeal for us would be in a trade built on Gobert for OG (though I understand the abstract rationale for it of maximizing the talent on the team). We are already a little short of outside shooting, and a Gobert-OG based swap would mean that we would need more outside shooting, and have less of it. It would also tax our playmaking ability even further, as OG has multiple spots where he can receive the ball effectively and score (and Gobert doesn't really), and Gobert under the basket on offence would cause problems for drive-and-kick playmaking for Pascal.

If we're trading OG, which I hope we aren't, I'd rather try and swing a trade returning Jarrett Allen (if he's available; I don't expect he is) or DeAndre Ayton via sign-and-trade.
        I was about to mention ... if you want a center ... may as well get ayton

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post
          I don't get what the specific appeal for us would be in a trade built on Gobert for OG (though I understand the abstract rationale for it of maximizing the talent on the team). We are already a little short of outside shooting, and a Gobert-OG based swap would mean that we would need more outside shooting, and have less of it. It would also tax our playmaking ability even further, as OG has multiple spots where he can receive the ball effectively and score (and Gobert doesn't really), and Gobert under the basket on offence would cause problems for drive-and-kick playmaking for Pascal.

A Gobert trade wouldn't happen in a vacuum. We'd have to make other moves as well so the roster fits a bit better around him. Shooters aren't that hard to come by, defensive beast centers like Gobert are. So you get him and then adjust from there. We'd instantly have the best defense in the NBA.
          Last edited by Primer; Sun Jun 12, 2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Id be reluctantly happy for og for gobert. Hes not a perfect fit but an anchor at C could provide a big positive impact for this team. A little reluctant though because i dont remember gobert really dominating the times we played them. Need to off birch in that trade. Id have less reluctance if OG is actually grumbling

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

I was about to mention ... if you want a center ... may as well get ayton
              I'm not opposed to OG for Ayton either.

Comment

I'm not saying the Raptors should trade for Gobert(that contract is horrendous). But I have a question, who's the better player? Rudy Gobert or Robert Williams?
                What does Robert Williams have to do with Gobert? But anyways, we already have a Robert Williams type of player, in Precious, who has more upside and is on a rookie contract. If you're trading for Gobert you have to seriously consider his contract, his impact in the playoffs and who you are giving up to get him. You make mistake on a $40M+ contract and that could set you back years.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

What does Robert Williams have to do with Gobert? But anyways, we already have a Robert Williams type of player, in Precious, who has more upside and is on a rookie contract. If you're trading for Gobert you have to seriously consider his contract, his impact in the playoffs and who you are giving up to get him. You make mistake on a $40M+ contract and that could set you back years.
                  I'll make my point after you answer the question. Who's the better player, Gobert or Williams?
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

Gobert is way better than Robert Williams I don't know why that was even a question.

Unless he gets hurt there will always be takers for Gobert. 6 time all nba first team defense, 3 time defensive player of the year.

I guess people just don't respect defense and rebounding. It's half the game and he's the best at it.

He also leads the league in TS% so not like he's a problem on offense. Scottie could lob him the ball inside all day long. Easy buckets.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Gobert is way better than Robert Williams I don't know why that was even a question.

Unless he gets hurt there will always be takers for Gobert. 6 time all nba first team defense, 3 time defensive player of the year.

I guess people just don't respect defense and rebounding. It's half the game and he's the best at it.

He also leads the league in TS% so not like he's a problem on offense. Scottie could lob him the ball inside all day long. Easy buckets.
                      Agree.
                      I mean what has Robert William's proved so far?
                      Even if they win the chip, he's not the main piece there.
                      Scottie and Gobert would work fine.

Comment

I'll make my point after you answer the question. Who's the better player, Gobert or Williams?
                        I’d have to see Robert Williams not surrounded by all-defense caliber players to answer that. Pretty much every Celtics rotation player, except Pritchard, is a good to great to elite defender. Whereas, Gobert has to cover for guys like Mitchell, Clarkson and an aging Conley. The only guy helping him is O’Neale.

Comment

I’d have to see Robert Williams not surrounded by all-defense caliber players to answer that. Pretty much every Celtics rotation player, except Pritchard, is a good to great to elite defender. Whereas, Gobert has to cover for guys like Mitchell, Clarkson and an aging Conley. The only guy helping him is O’Neale.
                          You're good lol. You pretty much said everything I wanted to point out. Williams has been massive for the Celtics this year. He's been glorified by the media these entire playoffs because of his defense but like you said every Celtics rotation players are good to great defenders whereas Gobert plays with guys like Mitchell and Clarkson, Bogdanovic etc. What if Gobert and Williams switch spot?

Gobert imo is a rich man's Robert Williams. Again, i'm not saying the Raps should trade fro him. But imagine him on this team? they'd be a monster defensively.

One last thing, if this OG rumour is true I need to know what's out there first. I read a couple of days ago that Denver and SA have interest in OG. Would Denver be willing to part with Murray? because he'd be my first choice. I love OG but if Murray's available then i'd drive OG to the airport myself.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

You're good lol. You pretty much said everything I wanted to point out. Williams has been massive for the Celtics this year. He's been glorified by the media these entire playoffs because of his defense but like you said every Celtics rotation players are good to great defenders whereas Gobert plays with guys like Mitchell and Clarkson, Bogdanovic etc. What if Gobert and Williams switch spot?

Gobert imo is a rich man's Robert Williams. Again, i'm not saying the Raps should trade fro him. But imagine him on this team? they'd be a monster defensively.

One last thing, if this OG rumour is true I need to know what's out there first. I read a couple of days ago that Denver and SA have interest in OG. Would Denver be willing to part with Murray? because he'd be my first choice. I love OG but if Murray's available then i'd drive OG to the airport myself.
                            If the OG rumour is true, then we also need to be thinking strategically and long term …like how to pry SGA out of OKC in a 3-way trade.

Comment

If Denver is willing to part with Murray that would be my favorite option. I really doubt they're looking to move him but crazier things have happened.

Comment

• I think there is some redundancy between OG and Scottie. So I could see a move where he is traded out. But Rudy Gay isn't the answer.. not for me.

I've never wanted Gobert on the Raptors once Nurse took over as coach. Gobert is the best rim protector in the game, but he excels when he's dropping back. Would Nurse completely revamp his defense (ie, the constant switching) to get him in his comfort zones? On offense Gobert excels in the pnr.. we do a lot of dribble hand offs, and make plays out at the perimeter. Do we even use screens? He likes having his bigs out at the perimeter to open lanes up.

Pascal isn't a great pick and roll facilitator. If we're going Scottie/Rudy pick & roll, it might work, but a smart defender can probably figure out how to slow that down. Scottie isn't a great threat from deep so they may just go under the screen and double help on Gobert. You know defenses will put their worst defender on Gobert. We don't have the horse power on offense to play 4 on 5.

Plus Gobert makes over $40M a year. That requires at least 2 core players to send back in a deal. It really doesn't feel practical. We're not quite yet in a position to make a trade like that. We still need to accumulate assets since losing a bunch in the Kawhi and Marc trades back in 2018/2019.

I think we're pretty close to being a contender already. Boston and Miami were in the ECF. Are we really that far from either team? Our bench was super thin.. but that's not too hard to fix. It's not a super team era anymore. Just need to be healthy and create really good chemistry so that we're firing on all cylinders by the time the playoffs role around. Last thing we need to do is make a Colangelo style all-in move for a flawed player. Just fix the edges, and we'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                                X