Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

If you can trade for a star center like Gobert or Ayton you do it and then make them fit by adjusting the schemes. As I said before, we are not married to the system we ran this season, it was just the best system for the players we had. If you get Ayton or Gobert you adjust to utilize their strengths. Nurse runs a different system every year based on personnel and he certainly sounded like he'd welcome a star center in this post season presser.
    So you’re suggesting that we pay 40M for a guy who we have to recreate the scheme around? A guy who can really only affect the game at one end of the floor? Or another guy who hasn’t even had a real impact on his current team — a championship contending team, at that — and who they don’t want to pay a big contract to? Why would Toronto shift away from what’s been developed for the past 3 years for either of those guys, who would also drastically impact the cap going forward?

Gobert is a defensive star, and an offensive liability. Ayton is not even a “star” yet and may never be.

it just doesn’t make sense. They may need a C, but they don’t need to devote 25% of the cap to one, given they have legit stars at PG and PF already who are on big salaries, and a rookie who looks like he’ll be a legit star within a couple of years.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      if OG is here next season i will be shocked.!i wonder how bad all the supporter of OG are going to kick him in his back once he is gone
      Just you. Most of us support ex raps, see: lowry, derozan, Powell, jv..
      9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

I mean for trent. SA wont want his contract in a poetl trade. Utah wont. What C is trent gonna get us? Seems like a tricky contract to move unless its a trade deadline deal for someone wanting to get over the hump and trade some future picks for him
        Poeltl is a one year rental. If SA thinks their chances of re-signing Trent, or the value in re-signing him, is better than with Poeltl, of course they would. Same for Turner and Indy. Maybe they don't, of course.

It's not uncommon for a team to trade for a guy thinking they can re-sign him, if they value him. They won't trade a pile of futures, but their own expiring guys they aren't sure they will re-sign, or a guy who is already leaving and they are hoping for a SnT... yep, exactly the sort of bet a team will make in those conditions.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yeah, Gobert and Ayton are the only 2 star centers available.

Capela is just a solid C and not worth OG. Trent for Capela would be fine but I don't think it makes much sense for Atlanta since they already have Bogdanovic and no clear replacement for Capela unless they're really high on Okongwu.
          Frankly, even for a star C of the Ayton or Gobert variety (the former being a borderline star, the latter being a rather unique talent with questions about play style viability), it's hard to see the Raptors paying through the nose given the roster construction they seem to prefer. I think they would change their style to fit a high end talent if the price of that was reasonable, but I don't see them selling out on their vision AND paying a high price to do so. I think a Trent-centric deal for that reason could make sense and an OG-centric deal is harder to envision.
          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post

I mean for trent. SA wont want his contract in a poetl trade. Utah wont. What C is trent gonna get us? Seems like a tricky contract to move unless its a trade deadline deal for someone wanting to get over the hump and trade some future picks for him
            I don't think we get much back for Trent at the deadline. Just because he's making about $18M and that's tough to acquire mid season for any team.

Right now (ie, this offseason) is the best time to trade him. But if we can't/don't do it now, then I think the next best way to get value from him is via a S&T next off season. Or by resigning him and then flipping him later when he's on a longer term deal.

I'm looking at the Norm trade as a barometer though. Portland flipped Norm (and Covington) to LAC for Bledsoe, Winslow, Keon Johnson and a 2RP. Winslow and Bledsoe are on expiring contracts now, so they got stuck with them for 1.5 years. But they also got back a former FRP and a future second.

We should be able to get something similar for Gary.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

absolutely not
              Ok so how OG for Poeltl and Vassell?
              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Ok so how OG for Poeltl and Vassell?
                we are not trading OG first and foremost. Secondly we definitely aren't trading OG unless you are getting serious picks back. Maybe MAAAYBE if the Montreal kid is available at the Spurs pick or Sharpe has some how dropped to there and they think Sharpe can be good (I have no idea about if he is good or not) ... fine... but even then no.

They will not trade OG unless its for a a serious talent upgrade and as much as I like Poeltl .... him and Vassell is not a talent upgrade in the slightest. Poeltl is a very good defensive center Poeltl is a two way player at some level but not at a level where he can ever put the team on his back even unexpectedly.

Comment

• I think Boucher, Young and Delon Wright are the free agents we should go after. They all fit this team well.

Barnes/Achiuwa/Birch
                  Siakam/Boucher/Rookie
                  Anunoby/Young/Champagnie
                  Trent/Wright/Banton
                  VanVleet/Flynn/Brooks
                  Last edited by TomAmnot; Mon Jun 13, 2022, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post
                    I think Boucher, Young and Delon Wright are the free agents we should go after. They all fit this team well.

Barnes/Achiuwa/Birch
                    Siakam/Boucher/Rookie
                    Anunoby/Young/Champagnie
                    Trent/Wright/Banton
                    VanVleet/Flynn/Brooks
                    well we will get boucher, and young.

Delon is interesting... If we are going for a guard... how do you feel about jones vs wright.

Comment

• Would Fred get you Ayton? I could see Phoenix wanted another Chris Paul (lite) player on that team. Ayton fits with the young core... we would have to find more shooting if we make a trade like that.

Comment

• saints91 wrote: View Post
                        Would Fred get you Ayton? I could see Phoenix wanted another Chris Paul (lite) player on that team. Ayton fits with the young core... we would have to find more shooting if we make a trade like that.
                        in theory it should if you are just talking about purely talent.. in reality no.

because they have chris paul. Let's also be honest.. Fred is not Chris Paul lite... Chris paul even at the same age as Fred was a4-5 time assist leader at the time. at the same time a steal leader multiple time all defence multi time all star ... multi time all NBA....

It also just isn't a good fit because you are assuming that CP3 will get traded and you can't really think 2 trades down the line for another team.

Comment

• KeonClark wrote: View Post

Just you. Most of us support ex raps, see: lowry, derozan, Powell, jv..
                          was never a support, just keep listening a kick is coming lol. rumours are already spreading he is unhappy in toronto

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

we are not trading OG first and foremost. Secondly we definitely aren't trading OG unless you are getting serious picks back. Maybe MAAAYBE if the Montreal kid is available at the Spurs pick or Sharpe has some how dropped to there and they think Sharpe can be good (I have no idea about if he is good or not) ... fine... but even then no.

They will not trade OG unless its for a a serious talent upgrade and as much as I like Poeltl .... him and Vassell is not a talent upgrade in the slightest. Poeltl is a very good defensive center Poeltl is a two way player at some level but not at a level where he can ever put the team on his back even unexpectedly.
                            friendly bet he is gone

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post

was never a support, just keep listening a kick is coming lol. rumours are already spreading he is unhappy in toronto
                              By which you mean people are saying "Jake Fischer said it, therefore it must be true". I'm still pretty skeptical about this.

Comment

• TheWaterboy wrote: View Post

By which you mean people are saying "Jake Fischer said it, therefore it must be true". I'm still pretty skeptical about this.
                                As is everyone (except grindhouse), especially after Jake said "a lot of Raptors players are unhappy".

Comment

Working...
                                X