Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primer wrote: View Post

The key part of the quote is" for a center who is a worse player" than OG.

They would trade for a center who is better than OG which is what Golden said.
    Which gives the Gobert rumors some real smoke.

Dan said they shouldn’t consider trading OG for a center, period.
    Last edited by golden; Mon Jun 13, 2022, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Sure, but Blake immediately confirmed his assertion as correct. Literally his first sentence. If not, then he’s giving mixed messages here.

you are reading into it too much.

Scotto basically outlines that to get OG a team needs to give up significant assets and made up some random assets.

Blakes response was "Murphy: Your league sources are right. It would take a lot for the Raptors to move Anunoby."

He outlines the obvious:

"As it pertains to the Raptors’ interest in a trade, I don’t think it’s any secret that OG would be the most logical trade chip in a lot of scenarios."

Basically that OG is a great trade chip if you are acquiring either something really nice in the draft assuming that's the direction you go or to get a guy of super star quality.... like Mitchell.

"Murphy: I don’t think Gobert is a reasonable target for the Raptors because they’d have to give up two pieces of their core to make the money work."

lol this is the second time I am quoting this:

"I think the Raptors would rather go into the season without a traditional center than trade OG for a center who is a worse player than OG is overall"

continues on with

"They’re pretty committed to this 6-foot-9 (frontcourt) vision."

Then the other key thing:

"If you’re high on Precious Achiuwa as they are, do you trade Anunoby for a center who’s going to block some of Achiuwa’s minutes?"

How do you go from that to Jarrett Allen?

I have said multiple times even though yes I have thrown out some random OG trades myself... We are not likely going to be trading OG. Not this season. That is it. The ONLY potential way I truly see it is if you are going to get a guy who is Shai level... or Maybe Mitchell although I don't think I would do it for Mitchell. I do not think we are going to use OG to get a center.

The notion of a center was something that Scotto brought up as part of his package...... again he was setting up the actual topic... I am not sure if you just read it or also listened. I did both. But yes he was using it as a method of setting up the topic. To go one step forward the exact first line which I have already posted says this BY SCOTTO NOT BLAKE:

"The Toronto Raptors are not looking to trade OG Anunoby, league sources told HoopsHype."

Comment

The key part of the quote is" for a center who is a worse player" than OG.

They would trade for a center who is better than OG which is what Golden said.
        Is Jarrett allen better than OG?

Comment

Blake literally said that he is not a good target and gave the reason why. The salary fucks it up basically. If Gobert made less salary its a conversation but he doesn't

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Is Jarrett allen better than OG?
            Man, you’re really messed up on this. I was talking about getting Jarrett Allen cheap last year, not trading OG for him this year. Time to move on.

Comment

Man, you’re really messed up on this. I was talking about getting Jarrett Allen cheap last year, not trading OG for him this year. Time to move on.
              gotcha

Comment

I did?

Pretty sure I said they are unlikely to pay through the nose for a C, and would likely only consider trading OG for a star level C - not just a C who is nominally better than OG but a world bender. Gobert may meet that threshold, and Ayton may as well (though that is less likely), but considering the price for Gobert will likely be OG+, not just OG, that's unlikely, and it's a little less clear how much of Ayton's value is tied to a PnR partner like Chris Paul, so it's less clear whether he's the clear cut upgrade on OG that would be required in such a trade. While guys like Turner or Poeltl are more lateral moves from OG and would just be them moving away from their vision without upgrading.

Obviously if a guy like Embiid or Jokic was on the market you don't hesitate to throw value around OG and go for it. Gobert and Ayton are a good step below that so it's not quite as clear cut. Obviously I wouldn't say they shouldn't trade OG for a C, period.

Nothing in that quote suggests that they would trade OG for any C who is even slightly better than OG. It was stated that they definitely wouldn't do it unless it was an upgrade. What's not defined is what degree of upgrade is required, but based on all the talking points (Tolzman re: 7th pick, anyone talking about how much the Raps love OG), that leap needs to be pretty large. I think if they could pull off OG plus filler for Gobert they would go for it, but that's not realistic. If they need to add draft assets, they likely limit their offer to those assets around Trent rather than OG in terms of the maximum value they'd send.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

I did?

Pretty sure I said they are unlikely to pay through the nose for a C, and would likely only consider trading OG for a star level C - not just a C who is nominally better than OG but a world bender. Gobert may meet that threshold, and Ayton may as well (though that is less likely), but considering the price for Gobert will likely be OG+, not just OG, that's unlikely, and it's a little less clear how much of Ayton's value is tied to a PnR partner like Chris Paul, so it's less clear whether he's the clear cut upgrade on OG that would be required in such a trade. While guys like Turner or Poeltl are more lateral moves from OG and would just be them moving away from their vision without upgrading.

Obviously if a guy like Embiid or Jokic was on the market you don't hesitate to throw value around OG and go for it. Gobert and Ayton are a good step below that so it's not quite as clear cut. Obviously I wouldn't say they shouldn't trade OG for a C, period.

Nothing in that quote suggests that they would trade OG for any C who is even slightly better than OG. It was stated that they definitely wouldn't do it unless it was an upgrade. What's not defined is what degree of upgrade is required, but based on all the talking points (Tolzman re: 7th pick, anyone talking about how much the Raps love OG), that leap needs to be pretty large. I think if they could pull off OG plus filler for Gobert they would go for it, but that's not realistic. If they need to add draft assets, they likely limit their offer to those assets around Trent rather than OG in terms of the maximum value they'd send.
                  Tbh, I’m not sure I even want a $30m + star C either, unless it’s Embiid or Jokic. Feels like we could just roll with Precious for 80-90% of games and then get a cheap backup center like Javale McGee for the other 10-20% of the games when he gets into early foul trouble.

Comment

Yep, Ayton too.

I'd put both those guys above OG.

Comment

Yep, Ayton too.

I'd put both those guys above OG.

If I am making a decision I would say Ayton makes more sense

Comment

Tbh, I’m not sure I even want a $30m + star C either, unless it’s Embiid or Jokic. Feels like we could just roll with Precious for 80-90% of games and then get a cheap backup center like Javale McGee for the other 10-20% of the games when he gets into early foul trouble.
                        well this is the real question do what positions do you spend the most amount of money on? I think the center spot is not where you invest the most amount of money on unless you have a Mobley type of dude.

Comment

well this is the real question do what positions do you spend the most amount of money on? I think the center spot is not where you invest the most amount of money on unless you have a Mobley type of dude.
                          A sharp shooting guard that we desperately need

Comment

• Kagemusha wrote: View Post

A sharp shooting guard that we desperately need
                            it would be nice and or playmaking... but then even more so why the heck are you trading OG for a one way player like Rudy? On top of needing to come up with another 12+ mill if not more

Comment

it would be nice and or playmaking... but then even more so why the heck are you trading OG for a one way player like Rudy? On top of needing to come up with another 12+ mill if not more
                              To have the best defense in the entire NBA. Gobert is that good and our defense would be nasty.

He also averaged 16 ppg with the highest TS% in the league so he's clearly still very useful on the offensive end. He will put back every offensive board and can't be stopped within 5 feet of the basket. Our offense gave Precious a ton of bunnies that he missed. Gobert puts those down every time.

Comment

under what timeline... ? you mean between now and the start of free agency?
                                before start of preseason

Comment

Working...
                                X