Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• golden wrote: View Post

And when teams go 5-out in the playoffs.... where is Rudy?
    Protecting the rim. Nick loves to give up threes to an opponent's worst shooter anyway with his help scheme, and with our length on the perimeter we could probably do a decent job of contesting in an aggressive zone.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

The other option is to go for a stop-gap backup guy like Dewayne Dedmon and make Precious the unequivocal starter. Dedmon can protect the rim, rebound and he shoots 3's at a respectable %. He would fit in perfectly on offense as floor spacer, rim runner & OREB guy. Could probably get him for $5M/year. Underrated player.

If you get a guy like JV or Jakob, then there's going to be some role definition friction with Precious as to who is the starting C. Just get a veteran backup like Dedmon or Javale McGee and let Precious focus 100% on what he has to do to fit in as a starter. The future is Precious.
      If you want a plug in backup C for about 5M a year, well then you just keep Khem. Tada.
      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
        http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=2ap5a86u

Th
        is is the problem with getting gobert and only giving up Trent as your biggest salary
        ESPN NBA trade machine sucks, you can't even change it to next year which is the only time the trade could happen and you can't include sign and trades. Use fanspo.

Gary + sign and trade Thad for Gobert works.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Huh? I've been outlining since the first Gobert rumour that it would be Trent plus a SnT of Thad to make the salary work.
          Should have read down the page before I made my reply. Anyways I pointed him to the correct site to use from now on.

We could also include Birch to get his salary off the books since we wouldn't have any need for him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

If you want a plug in backup C for about 5M a year, well then you just keep Khem. Tada.
            This too.

If we aren't getting a star center then we just roll with Precious. No need to acquire some mediocre guy that Precious is gonna end up being better than.

The reason we're discussing centers is because the two best players that are considered somewhat available are Gobert and Ayton. And every article talking about them mentions us. We're following the news.

Comment

What's the point of giving up valuable assets and then paying Gobert $40M/yr to defend out on the perimeter.... to be "fine"? The whole idea is that you're getting a transformative defensive player, not a guy whose impact can be easily schemed out with a simple adjustment, at the worst possible time (the playoffs).
              I mean I said fine, but in reality Gobert is a multiple time DPOY and would make the Raptors an absolute menace defensively ( We already were top tier post All star break).

As I said, its easy to scheme the Jazz because they have terrible perimeter defenders, would it be easy to scheme Gobert on the Raptors? Probably not.

Teams could play 5 out like they do against the Jazz, it won't be as successful because the Raptoes have good perimeter defenders and put in effort to rotate. You used Grant Williams as an example, lets say Gobert is defending him on the perimeter, he has the length to contest. Gobert won't have to worry as much about defending the paint because Pascal, Scottie and OG are more than capable. You already had a successful defensive play if you force Grant Williams to make a play on Gobert.

Comment

• Oddsmakers Say Rudy Gobert to Toronto is 50/50 Proposition
                https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/rud...r-raptors-odds

The Toronto Raptors have emerged as the favorite to land Rudy Gobert via trade at even money (+100) according to MyBookie.ag.

This is an interesting development as the sports gambling site says it’s more likely that Gobert will play for the Raptors next year than he will with the Utah Jazz.

Other possible suitors listed are the Dallas Mavericks, New York Knicks, Brooklyn Nets, Atlanta Hawks, Golden State Warriors, Charlotte Hornets, and Los Angeles Lakers.

The site also listed the Gobert as a (-130) underdog to stay with the Jazz.

There has been speculation that a Gobert trade to Toronto would include OG Anunoby as part of Utah's compensation. Anunoby is currently on a team-friendly deal and is under club control through 2023-24.

To make a trade work, other players would need to get involved so that the salaries match.

Although Anonoby is a good player with a high ceiling, one would think that the Raptors would have to part with more assets if they wanted a chance at landing the 3-time Defensive Player of the Year.

On the surface, these odds seem a little off, but bookies often have inside information and know what’s going on behind the scenes. Seeing one of the bigger internet gambling sites giving Gobert-to-Toronto a 50-50 chance is eye-opening to say the least.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                  Oddsmakers Say Rudy Gobert to Toronto is 50/50 Proposition
                  https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/rud...r-raptors-odds

I believe that happened before Kawhi got traded as well.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

ESPN NBA trade machine sucks, you can't even change it to next year which is the only time the trade could happen and you can't include sign and trades. Use fanspo.

Gary + sign and trade Thad for Gobert works.
                    that I would be ok with but it would have to wait.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

I believe that happened before Kawhi got traded as well.
                      OddSharks had the Raptors mysteriously show up in the Kawhi sweep stakes.. and we kept moving up.

No idea who mybookie.ag is or if they are credible. But at least this odds maker feels we are getting Rudy.

I don't want Rudy.. but if Masai wants him, who am I to get in the way.

Comment

• the one good thing about rudy is he doesn't seem to be wanted by a lot of teams so maybe yeah if you can get him for cheap

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
                          the one good thing about rudy is he doesn't seem to be wanted by a lot of teams so maybe yeah if you can get him for cheap
                          Thing is you can't. He's paid more than 38M$ next season, 41 the one after, nearly 44 the next and 46M$ in 2025-2026 if he opts in... which he probably will, since he'll be 33 by then. That's a whole lot of money for a guy who's not a superstar, even if he's really good at basketball. Isn't it?

Comment

• TomAmnot wrote: View Post

Thing is you can't. He's paid more than 38M$ next season, 41 the one after, nearly 44 the next and 46M$ in 2025-2026 if he opts in... which he probably will, since he'll be 33 by then. That's a whole lot of money for a guy who's not a superstar, even if he's really good at basketball. Isn't it?
                            I mean cheap in terms of assets if its just gtj and thad sure...if you some how sign and trade thad

Comment

• I would be remotely interested in rudy if he could do one of the following skills:

pass, shoot, dribble.

Comment

• I really don't think rudy gobert is versatile enough as a player to warrant having a very highly paid 1 way player. He is not going to "put us over the top" and you get worse in your worse area while getting yes lets say better in your best area...

Why emphasize our weakness more?

I really don't think anyone will convince me that we should do any of the following:

1) trade OG this off season short of getting an ACTUAL super star. Shai, Mitchell.

2) trading for Rudy.

Comment

Working...
                                X