No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The arguments I'm seeing are mainly you guys making a hypothetical trade where we send way more to Utah than we'd need to. Those aren't valid objections to me. Of course we don't do the trade if it costs too much, but there are several reasons it won't. Number one being Gobert contract and the lack of interest in taking it on. I'm operating under the assumption OG plus filler gets the job done. Filler can be Thad in a S&T or Thad plus Birch which is even better for us salary wise.

I also see ZERO chance Trent being the main piece gets you Gobert so toss those suggestions in the trash.

Now that we're operating under OG for Gobert, we can have a fair discussion about this trade possibility.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
      Re Ayton. Would the Suns actually trade him for OG?
      They need to reduce salary so yes I think they would. They'd probably want picks too though. I also think Portland just offers him the max to force Phoenix hand since they've got the cap room.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

They need to reduce salary so yes I think they would. They'd probably want picks too though. I also think Portland just offers him the max to force Phoenix hand since they've got the cap room.
        And I believe the Blazers can also add OG using the $20M TPE they have, without sending any players out, correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

And I believe the Blazers can also add OG using the $20M TPE they have, without sending any players out, correct me if I’m wrong.
          they can but what incentive do we have to do that...

Comment

I've addressed the supposed offensive limitations in all my posts.

16 ppg and highest TS% in the NBA.

That's not a liability on offense.

You cannot leave him unguarded because we can just toss up a rainbow for him to grab and slam home. He can set monster picks and roll to the basket. Or just free up our other players for nice open shots.

I guess everyone has forgotten how centers were used in the NBA before the small ball era. They weren't roaming the perimeter shooting 3s and yet they were some of the most dominating players in the game.
            spacing is a real problem and TS% is nice but 80% of his stuff is assisted. on offence if he screens other teams will just play drop coverage and jump on screens preventing driving lanes and running you off the 3point line.

We aren't in small ball if the average size of our team is bigger than almost any other team... Rudy can't be a threat in pick and pop... he literally has no ability to create his own offence and if they just zone then what? now that you have given up one of our better 3 point shooters.... the way to beat the zone is passing from the middle or 3 point shooting.... well rudy can't shoot and he definitely can't make passes from the middle.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

they can but what incentive do we have to do that...
              Picks and a young prospect.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

spacing is a real problem and TS% is nice but 80% of his stuff is assisted. on offence if he screens other teams will just play drop coverage and jump on screens preventing driving lanes and running you off the 3point line.

We aren't in small ball if the average size of our team is bigger than almost any other team... Rudy can't be a threat in pick and pop... he literally has no ability to create his own offence and if they just zone then what? now that you have given up one of our better 3 point shooters.... the way to beat the zone is passing from the middle or 3 point shooting.... well rudy can't shoot and he definitely can't make passes from the middle.
                And Fred doesn't have the touch and timing to find rollers going towards the basket in the PnR. Are we going to take the ball out of his hands to optimize Rudy? Adding Gobert seems to create as many questions as it answers. Not saying it can't work, but it's a high-risk, ____ reward scenario.

Comment

The arguments I'm seeing are mainly you guys making a hypothetical trade where we send way more to Utah than we'd need to. Those aren't valid objections to me. Of course we don't do the trade if it costs too much, but there are several reasons it won't. Number one being Gobert contract and the lack of interest in taking it on. I'm operating under the assumption OG plus filler gets the job done. Filler can be Thad in a S&T or Thad plus Birch which is even better for us salary wise.

I also see ZERO chance Trent being the main piece gets you Gobert so toss those suggestions in the trash.

Now that we're operating under OG for Gobert, we can have a fair discussion about this trade possibility.
                  OG plus filler doesn’t get it done. They’re asking for a ton, if you believe the rumours (and since that’s what this whole discussion is framed around)…

And again, Gobert doesn’t raise the bar enough to make it worth strangling the existing cap flex that Masai has been adamant about building into this roster going forward.

Add to it that your proposed trades above would simply move one starter for another and also remove two solid bench contributors without replacing them - from a bench that was already so shallow that the main guys played over 40 mins a night… it still doesn’t make sense. This team needs to get deeper and more offensive, not more top-heavy.

You trade for Gobert, you better think it gets you a championship in the next 2 years or it’s a complete waste of time and assets. Does anyone think Gobert is that kind of franchise-altering talent?
                  Last edited by Limited Upside; Tue Jun 14, 2022, 03:03 PM.

Comment

• Raps just lost Patrick Mutombo to the Suns. That's 2 or 3 respected development coaches they've lost in 3 seasons. I remember they lost a development coach to Golden State last season (Jama)...
                    https://raptorsaggr.com/go/91194

On another note, can someone explain to me the obsession with expensive centers? The Raps are betting favs to get Gobert, but I don't get it. His contract is really bad. That said, I do believe that he could play more playoff minutes if he was on a team with decent defenders on the wing. But, so could any decently mobile center do that on the Raps, with so much defensive talent on the wings.

Same for Ayton. The Raps have superior defense at every position but Center and arguably SG. If they move OG to SG to fit a center into the starting 5, that's 5 positions of above average defenders. Why are people not hyping a much more affordable guy like Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba, or Hartenstein?

If the Raps pick up a center, they only need to be above average at defence (preferably with enough lateral quicks to double, show, blitz and situationally switch) and able to shoot the mid range, so that the lane doesn't get clogged up.

Gobert is getting older and I've only seen him in ICE defenses, as awesome as he is on that end, when I think of his lack of shooting I sort of cringe. The Raps would adjust. Nurse and his team will work on that shot, but I'm not getting excited about the guy.

If a guy like DJ Wilson could have a positive impact on the roster, the goal shouldn't be to find an old school traditional big. It should be to find a better version of DJ. OR if they keep GTJ and keep him in the starting lineup and DJ is healthy, they could just bring DJ back.
                    Last edited by blackjitsu; Tue Jun 14, 2022, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

pink font missing. lol.
                      Gotta remember that. It saves a lot of explaining, Lucy ....

Comment

• I like Gobert just fine, after all he's responsible for COVID.
                        But there's not a single player in the league that I want to spend $40M on and he's a rung below them.

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                          I like Gobert just fine, after all he's responsible for COVID.
                          But there's not a single player in the league that I want to spend $40M on and he's a rung below them.
                          lol without gobert maybe we don't get scottie... but also maybe we end up going back to back given the roll we were on

Comment

• G__Deane wrote: View Post
                            I like Gobert just fine, after all he's responsible for COVID.
                            i'd pay 40 for luka

Comment

• on the topic of gobert salary blah blah blah u realize a gobert with OG included could still put us under the salary cap plus resigning thad to a smaller contract. we would have space to make another move/trade to bring in a piece.

bottom line scottie pascal gobert fred is a better core than OG in that. plus a lot of ppl like jaylin williams who is a great defender and perimeter threat. scottie pascal gobert jaylin fred banton svi yuta bouche get another shooter even if it’s jordan clarkson. we are trying to build a TEAM. we proved without a shadow of a doubt we can win without OG or Fred or gary trent.

get me rim protection get me rebound and get me a shooter and go compete for a championship

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                                Raps just lost Patrick Mutombo to the Suns. That's 2 or 3 respected development coaches they've lost in 3 seasons. I remember they lost a development coach to Golden State last season (Jama)...
                                https://raptorsaggr.com/go/91194

On another note, can someone explain to me the obsession with expensive centers? The Raps are betting favs to get Gobert, but I don't get it. His contract is really bad. That said, I do believe that he could play more playoff minutes if he was on a team with decent defenders on the wing. But, so could any decently mobile center do that on the Raps, with so much defensive talent on the wings.

Same for Ayton. The Raps have superior defense at every position but Center and arguably SG. If they move OG to SG to fit a center into the starting 5, that's 5 positions of above average defenders. Why are people not hyping a much more affordable guy like Jalen Smith, Mo Bamba, or Hartenstein?

If the Raps pick up a center, they only need to be above average at defence (preferably with enough lateral quicks to double, show, blitz and situationally switch) and able to shoot the mid range, so that the lane doesn't get clogged up.

Gobert is getting older and I've only seen him in ICE defenses, as awesome as he is on that end, when I think of his lack of shooting I sort of cringe. The Raps would adjust. Nurse and his team will work on that shot, but I'm not getting excited about the guy.

If a guy like DJ Wilson could have a positive impact on the roster, the goal shouldn't be to find an old school traditional big. It should be to find a better version of DJ. OR if they keep GTJ and keep him in the starting lineup and DJ is healthy, they could just bring DJ back.
                                are you including stackhouse too

Comment

Working...
                                X