Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no issues with Luca’s usage …

what I hated about his game is him being a hot head and his relentless whining to everything and anything. He seem to carry a huge chip on his shoulder every game, he easily reacts to opposing players trash talking and those calls from the refs that don’t go his way…all these affects his play and his concentration which can be impactful during the course of the game.

otherwise, he is a no doubter a generational talent.

Comment

• Love the trade for Dallas. Wood is a pretty decent starter, and to get one for the 26th pick in a weak draft is not a bad trade. Plus Dallas is better off getting win now players to surround Luka with. Wood should be an upgrade over Powell.

Houston probably should have done better. Could also show what Wood's value is around the league. I recall people talking about trading Pascal for him last year.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
        Love the trade for Dallas. Wood is a pretty decent starter, and to get one for the 26th pick in a weak draft is not a bad trade. Plus Dallas is better off getting win now players to surround Luka with. Wood should be an upgrade over Powell.

Houston probably should have done better. Could also show what Wood's value is around the league. I recall people talking about trading Pascal for him last year.
        I think if Luka comes back in shape and with a younger solid running mate they could be solid

Comment

Love the trade for Dallas. Wood is a pretty decent starter, and to get one for the 26th pick in a weak draft is not a bad trade. Plus Dallas is better off getting win now players to surround Luka with. Wood should be an upgrade over Powell.

Need to dig up those posts, I need a laugh this morning

Comment

Is it though? the Mavs will be Wood's 7th team in 6 years. If he's a good/decent starter then why has he bounced around so much?
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post
              Watanabe was really disappointing. Thought he was going to be a contributor this season but provided very little. Won't be disappointed if he gets cut.
              he couldn't get healthy throughout the year but yes I think his time here is over. he will get a chance some where else in the league though

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post

Is it though? the Mavs will be Wood's 7th team in 6 years. If he's a good/decent starter then why has he bounced around so much?
                yeah so I think this type of thing gets brought up. I don't think its fair to use this as judgement although at the same time you do start to get concerned though.

Comment

He came into the league as an undrafted free agent. So him bouncing around for a few years is normal. But he was also on bad teams (Houston, Detroit, New Orleans). When he was with Milwaukee he averaged under 5 minutes per game.

He can put up 18/9 in his sleep. He's a bad defender, has bad habits, and looks to be a bit of a malcontent. But under a winning program and if he plays to his strengths he could be a catch. Like Bobby Portis with Milwaukee the past couple of years.

Comment

Sometimes it takes time and the right fit. P.J. Tucker is a good example and more recently Wiggins.

Fingers crossed the same can be said for Woods when it's all said and done.

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Actually Christian Wood maybe justified to an extent after Harden getting shipped out and having Eric Gordon as the only other offensive option, an ailing John Wall and a rook in Jalen Green. He will understand his role when he is with the Mavs and where he is at in that pecking order. His presence beside Luca will elevate that team to another level. They badly needed that legit bigman during the playoffs.

As far as our homefront, I hope VanVleet is true to his words but most of the time talk is cheap and playing for a new contract can change someone’s perspective.
                      Check the everything FVV thread. Interview clips with him where he said he's happy to take a step back if it's best for the team. Doesn't want to have to score 25+ every night.

Also highly likely we extend him this offseason so he will not be in a contract year. He said he wants to be a Raptor for life and can't see himself playing anywhere else.

I think we give him the max possible extension this offseason. Dan laid it out in that thread.

FVV can opt out of his 23-24 option and extend for up to the following:
                      22-23: 21.3M
                      23-24: 25.5M
                      24-25: 27.5M
                      25-26: 29.6M
                      26-27: 31.6M

That's a great deal for an all star like Fred. And even if you wanna be cynical it makes him worth a ton more in a trade since he'd be locked up long term and not a 1 year deal.
                      Last edited by Primer; Thu Jun 16, 2022, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Impact stats think Powell is a significant upgrade over Wood. There's a reason his value is low, he fills the box score but isn't actually all that helpful to, you know, winning basketball games. Or, at least there is not much evidence of that, which admittedly is hard to find when he consistently plays on terrible teams.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Check the everything FVV thread. Interview clips with him where he said he's happy to take a step back if it's best for the team. Doesn't want to have to score 25+ every night.

Also highly likely we extend him this offseason so he will not be in a contract year. He said he wants to be a Raptor for life and can't see himself playing anywhere else. I think we give him the max possible extension which is around $27m per year. That's a great deal for an all star like Fred. And even if you wanna be synical it makes him worth a ton more in a trade since he'd be locked up long term and not a 1 year deal.
                          so this is what I think happened. They obviously had a conversation with him and expressed hey we believe in you and you are important to this team but watching the tape we think you can be more successful and that the team can be more successful as well. I think they looked around and phoned to see if they could get guys like Mitchell or who ever else they have targeted to see if it was potentially worth it. Obviously not making an offer but asking hey... what would it take what would you hypothetically be interested. Just doing due diligence. My sense is that FVV is a good asset but not good enough to get what they desire. For that reason it makes sense to do asset management as you just alluded to. If they can't make it work this year then yeah you look to eject him and its easier to facilitate him as an asset locked-in for a few years rather than as a sign and trade. Even if you want to sign and trade for someone next year having a dedicated guy on your team is worth more than trying to figure out some weird double sign and trade.

I think they are keeping an eye on that OKC situation for the very second SGA ever asks out and will package assets for him.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Impact stats think Powell is a significant upgrade over Wood. There's a reason his value is low, he fills the box score but isn't actually all that helpful to, you know, winning basketball games. Or, at least there is not much evidence of that, which admittedly is hard to find when he consistently plays on terrible teams.
                            Considering what they sent out it's a good deal for Dallas. Bench scrubs and the 26th pick in a weak draft. Wood will contribute more to them than any of those guys would.

Their defense will still be bad but Wood will help with scoring and rebounding. I don't think it's puts them over the top. Kinda feels like throwing Zinger back on the team.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Considering what they sent out it's a good deal for Dallas. Bench scrubs and the 26th pick in a weak draft. Wood will contribute more to them than any of those guys would.

Their defense will still be bad but Wood will help with scoring and rebounding. I don't think it's puts them over the top. Kinda feels like throwing Zinger back on the team.
                              Dallas had the 7th best defense in the league. So I'm not sure what you mean by "will still be bad". Kidd transformed the team defensively this year.

Comment

• Wood is really talented. Mavs got a good player if Wood can get his head right and not be a problem. Maybe playing with a superstar like Luka and a coach like Kidd will help him mature.

Talent wise Mavs got a steal, but I think the Rockets just didn't want to deal with Wood anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X