Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    Wood is really talented. Mavs got a good player if Wood can get his head right and not be a problem. Maybe playing with a superstar like Luka and a coach like Kidd will help him mature.

Talent wise Mavs got a steal, but I think the Rockets just didn't want to deal with Wood anymore.
    I don't know if kidd is the best at bringing out maturity in guys but yes talent wise its an upgrade.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Dallas had the 7th best defense in the league. So I'm not sure what you mean by "will still be bad". Kidd transformed the team defensively this year.
      They didn't look great in the playoffs to me. Eye test so maybe I'm wrong. Defense will be worse with Wood playing heavy minutes. Unless Kidd works some magic. A lot of it is effort so it's possible.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Considering what they sent out it's a good deal for Dallas. Bench scrubs and the 26th pick in a weak draft. Wood will contribute more to them than any of those guys would.

Their defense will still be bad but Wood will help with scoring and rebounding. I don't think it's puts them over the top. Kinda feels like throwing Zinger back on the team.
        "Dallas got Christian Wood for dead wood" is the best line I read about the trade.

I'm not buying the "empty stats on losing teams argument". That's been shown to be situational for many players not simply a one-size-fits-all assessment of a player, no matter what.

That said.. the immaturity tag has followed Wood around for his entire career and he'll be 27 years old when the season starts. Not a kid anymore.

Comment

• More Raps stuff here.

Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

so this is what I think happened. They obviously had a conversation with him and expressed hey we believe in you and you are important to this team but watching the tape we think you can be more successful and that the team can be more successful as well. I think they looked around and phoned to see if they could get guys like Mitchell or who ever else they have targeted to see if it was potentially worth it. Obviously not making an offer but asking hey... what would it take what would you hypothetically be interested. Just doing due diligence. My sense is that FVV is a good asset but not good enough to get what they desire. For that reason it makes sense to do asset management as you just alluded to. If they can't make it work this year then yeah you look to eject him and its easier to facilitate him as an asset locked-in for a few years rather than as a sign and trade. Even if you want to sign and trade for someone next year having a dedicated guy on your team is worth more than trying to figure out some weird double sign and trade.

I think they are keeping an eye on that OKC situation for the very second SGA ever asks out and will package assets for him.
            I don’t think any of that happened. I think it’s been the plan all along to extend Fred, and I don’t believe for a second that they explored any trades.

your last sentence may be true, but it has nothing to do with Fred, or wanting a different/better starting PG.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

I don’t think any of that happened. I think it’s been the plan all along to extend Fred, and I don’t believe for a second that they explored any trades.

your last sentence may be true, but it has nothing to do with Fred, or wanting a different/better starting PG.
              who said anything about wanting a different or better starting point guard we already have that in scottie. SGA is a combo guard .

But my point is FVV is an asset that can be used in the future.

Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Thu Jun 16, 2022, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• The Great One wrote: View Post
                More Raps stuff here.

Portland does not appear to be a legitimate landing spot for restricted free agent Deandre Ayton, sources said. The Trail Blazers are expected to retain starting center Jusuf Nurkic, and they are prioritizing Toronto Raptors swingman OG Anunoby in any return for the No. 7 pick in next week's draft, sources said. But there has been increasing talk about Portland potentially targeting the seventh selection to Oklahoma City for No. 12 and a package that could include Lu Dort.

Ayton's most realistic landing spots outside of Phoenix appear to be Atlanta, Detroit and Toronto, which all would present intriguing sign-and-trade opportunities for the Suns.
                Primer is getting hyped.

Comment

Check the everything FVV thread. Interview clips with him where he said he's happy to take a step back if it's best for the team. Doesn't want to have to score 25+ every night.

Also highly likely we extend him this offseason so he will not be in a contract year. He said he wants to be a Raptor for life and can't see himself playing anywhere else.

I think we give him the max possible extension this offseason. Dan laid it out in that thread.

FVV can opt out of his 23-24 option and extend for up to the following:
                  22-23: 21.3M
                  23-24: 25.5M
                  24-25: 27.5M
                  25-26: 29.6M
                  26-27: 31.6M

That's a great deal for an all star like Fred. And even if you wanna be cynical it makes him worth a ton more in a trade since he'd be locked up long term and not a 1 year deal.
                  Those numbers are fair. I dont mind giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully his intentions are truthful approaching the season and allow Siakam and Barnes to be the 1A and 1B offensive options of this team. A third fiddle to those two will just be fine with me.

If not then he is a tradeable asset for sure down the road.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Primer is getting hyped.
                    they should take the lu dort and 12th deal for the 7th ... at least from portlands perspective... they shouldn't be trying to win now with Dame in my opinion.
                    Seems like portland is out of the running now that it suggests they will retain nurkic... no point in doing that AND getting ayton. Detroit is the last team remaining with cap space... so its really ATL or Toronto. If ATL blows all their assets getting Rudy... then we might be able to do a cheaper sign and trade to get Ayton with Trent Flynn, and maybe Birch and a pick as out going so they get SOMETHING.
                    Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Thu Jun 16, 2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

who said anything about wanting a different or better starting point guard we already have that in scottie. SGA is a combo guard .

But my point is FVV is an asset that can be used in the future.
                      I’m actually maybe in the minority in not being ready to anoint Barnes the PG of the future. Great player, but hasn’t shown THAT particular skill set just yet. People thinking Fred is going to be a SG this year may be disappointed.

Comment

• I think it would be a big mistake 2 sign Freddy 2 extension..I trade him..
                        This guy is going other way, broke down, hurt, small, not a pg, almost into his 30s, playing like his 40..U can't give guys 30 million and above..if there not all star to superstar level.
                        Sure, he was all star this year, but is he really. Don't get me wrong his good player as a 3 or 4th option..not paid as your number 1....lol..
                        U gotta think about Scottie and who u surround him with..Freddy ain't the answer, if we're being honest.
                        "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                        My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

Those numbers are fair. I dont mind giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Hopefully his intentions are truthful approaching the season and allow Siakam and Barnes to be the 1A and 1B offensive options of this team. A third fiddle to those two will just be fine with me.

If not then he is a tradeable asset for sure down the road.
                          He was not much above 20% usage the second half of the season as Pascal and Scottie increased their usage (with the team behind Pascal almost a 4 way tie in usage - Fred 22%, Gary 21%, Precious 21%, Scottie 20%, OG barely played after all star), with his playmaking duties dropping off even more in that time frame versus pre-all-star; we have no reason to believe, literally none, that he would be resistant to this idea at all. The thing that needs to happen is Scottie needs to become more aggressive creating for himself and others and he'll naturally settle into a 2nd option or 1B role very quickly.

Heck, the far flung longshot idea would be that maybe FVV gets selfish and wants to have a bigger role if he's coming up on free agency, but even if you believe that, they'll be looking to extend him now so it's not really a consideration anyway.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Primer is getting hyped.
                            Ayton, Yes. 7th pick for OG, no.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Lock up FVV and then flip him to the Knicks for the 4 first rounders that Sam Presti will want for SGA to keep his Ponzi / lifetime employment scheme churning.

Comment

Ayton, Yes. 7th pick for OG, no.
                                Hard no, on OG. Ayton for Trent + filler seems doable, though, if Ayton is maxed.

Comment

Working...
                                X