Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanH wrote: View Post

Noel is a double edged sword. Like, EPM has him as a 90th percentile defender and a 12th percentile offensive player (which totally checks out with the eye test). Slightly below average overall impact. So, sure, perfectly fine backup C. But not really an upgrade on Birch.

Burks has actually been really solid, and is the main win-now benefit to such a trade. Obviously the real value is in the pick. Unfortunately the timing of the draft and FA makes this an unlikely option.
    Noel is a huge upgrade to Birch on defense. And offense doesn't really matter because they are both ~ 11% USG guys who don't space the floor. I would argue that Nerlens is a better above-the-rim finisher and vertical spacer.... Nurse mentioned they were looking for a player like that.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

Noel is a huge upgrade to Birch on defense. And offense doesn't really matter because they are both ~ 11% USG guys who don't space the floor. I would argue that Nerlens is a better above-the-rim finisher and vertical spacer.... Nurse mentioned they were looking for a player like that.
      its not a bad move. birch is a solid player as a bench player but not a good starting level player but he does enough when healthy that some people value him uniquely.

Last edited by TrueTorontoFan; Wed Jun 22, 2022, 03:52 PM.

Comment

Not really a huge upgrade. We didn't see Birch healthy all year, but he's a way smarter player vs. Noel.

And the money isn't worth it. Noel is making almost the same as the MLE. Raps should not be paying what would be their 3rd or 4th bench big (behind Precious if he doesn't start, Boucher, Thad, and possibly the #33 pick) $10M per year.

Alec Burks just underwent surgery, too, and is also overpaid for what he could bring to the Raptors. Not interested.

Comment

• Limited Upside wrote: View Post

Not really a huge upgrade. We didn't see Birch healthy all year, but he's a way smarter player vs. Noel.

And the money isn't worth it. Noel is making almost the same as the MLE. Raps should not be paying what would be their 3rd or 4th bench big (behind Precious if he doesn't start, Boucher, Thad, and possibly the #33 pick) $10M per year.

Alec Burks just underwent surgery, too, and is also overpaid for what he could bring to the Raptors. Not interested.
          it depends on how much you really think we need rim protection. I am neither here nor there on this one.

Comment

Huh, here I thought there were other things you could do on offence than score or space the floor but I guess I'm wrong about that.

Nerlens is a completely one dimensional offensive player, in that he can finish at the basket and do literally nothing else well - he turns the ball over at an incredible rate, barely ever registers an assist, actually has a significantly lower and decreasing every year usage than Birch, is a worse offensive rebounder than Birch, but yes he can score at the rim. He's been a complete disaster on the offensive end in impact stats for his entire career because of that, and there's no reason to expect that to change. It's change for the sake of change, which if it's what you want, more power to you, but it's not an upgrade and they should focus their efforts on actual upgrades, not finding guys who may or may not be better than Khem freaking Birch.

As for the upgrade on Birch, if they are willing to play drop defence to have Noel at the rim all the time, totally agree. Are they though?
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

its not a bad move. birch is a solid player as a bench player but not a good starting level player but he does enough when healthy that some people value him uniquely.

I'd dump Birch with no hesitation. He's a stop gap backup C.

What I wouldn't do is try to bring in another stop gap backup C and hope that makes any real difference to the team.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Is it just me but when ever I see a trade with a Raptor's name in the item .. The people think Raptor's GM's are just stupid . We will take your player and give you junk in exchange ..

Comment

What I wouldn't do is try to bring in another stop gap backup C and hope that makes any real difference to the team.
                  The purpose of the trade is not about Noel, it’s to turn a uncertain asset, GTJ, into a cost controlled lottery pick, while also getting playable depth. Noel being a huge defensive upgrade and negligible impact offensive downgrade to Birch, while adding guard shooting depth, is a plus.

Comment

Is noel's deal up this year?

Comment

• Would kenyon martin be a decent target with our pick and flynn and svi

Comment

• guyroch wrote: View Post
                        Is it just me but when ever I see a trade with a Raptor's name in the item .. The people think Raptor's GM's are just stupid . We will take your player and give you junk in exchange ..
                        Most fantasy trades are like this for every team.... it isn't unique to Toronto deals.

Comment

Knicks are trying to move Burks & Noel to create $25M cap-space to sign Jalen Brunson. How about this 3-way?

To Knicks: Brunson (S&T)
                          To Mavs: GTJ, Birch, Flynn
                          To Raps: Burks, Noel, Knicks #11 pick (this year's draft)

Knicks get Brunson, who they covet highly.
                          Mavs get shooting around Luka + bench depth.
                          Raps get guard depth and a legit rim protector / PnR finishing center + a first round lottery pick.

Might need to add a 2RP or from the Raps or Mavs to get Knicks over the hump for giving up #11 this year.
                          Is this what sparked the Bruson talk?

More likely he's just visiting our amazing city (Masai has spoke it into existence)

Comment

• He said this faster than I could

Comment

• It gives Detroit $43 million in cap room this year. Go there Kyrie. I hear it smells of championships when you walk in .

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                                He said this faster than I could

Slim chance we traded OG for the 7th pick anyway. They would have had to throw in a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                                X