No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is confusing to me. The Raps got GTJ. They got the player that they valued from the Blazers. Who cares if the Blazers want him back. The Raps have him.

Did people forget that the Raps have Masai and Bobby? Would either one of those guys trade 2/5ths of their starters in one trade that didn't include someone like Kawhi?

If it matters, OG was seen at OVO training yesterday.
    https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/...DR6czx2dwqAAAA

He has a reasonable contract, and the Raps have multiple years of control.

I can't wait for the Raps to draft someone none of us have heard of, or we all rate poorly tomorrow, so that this fake OG nonsense disappears.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
      wasn’t jerimi grant just traded to portland?
      Yes.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        This is confusing to me. The Raps got GTJ. They got the player that they valued from the Blazers. Who cares if the Blazers want him back. The Raps have him.

Did people forget that the Raps have Masai and Bobby? Would either one of those guys trade 2/5ths of their starters in one trade that didn't include someone like Kawhi?

If it matters, OG was seen at OVO training yesterday.
        https://twitter.com/JLew1050/status/...DR6czx2dwqAAAA

He has a reasonable contract, and the Raps have multiple years of control.

I can't wait for the Raps to draft someone none of us have heard of, or we all rate poorly tomorrow, so that this fake OG nonsense disappears.
        Its clearly not fake or nonsense, but it seems the Blazers want him, how desparate are they? Not sure, but if they end up overpaying or providing good value, Masai/Bobby won't say no.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post
          we can't do this because of the complexities of the RFA stuff unless you tamper and you get into introuble.
          The penalty for the Heat tampering with Lowry was losing a second round pick.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Its clearly not fake or nonsense, but it seems the Blazers want him, how desparate are they? Not sure, but if they end up overpaying or providing good value, Masai/Bobby won't say no.
            Loving reading twitter right now... Blazers fans thinking it's more likely than not. For the least return possible...

In particular the guy who said "go get em -- but hold onto the 7th"

Comment

I think it clearly is nonsense. What do the Blazers have that would interest the Raps, considering, the play style that the Raps implement? Where are there wings? Who plays defense on that team?

I'm not saying I don't like certain players on the Blazers, but the Raptors have a clear system that players need to be able to fit. They can't "overpay," because they don't have the right kind of players. The 7th pick in a mediocre draft shouldn't be enticing to a front office that traded out of the first round.

Everyone here knows what the Raps front office generally wants-- oversized, mobile players who can switch. Without including a star, how could the Blazers put together a trade that is good enough for both Bobby and Masai to decide to suddenly change course? They can't. Of all the teams in the NBA, the Blazers are the one with the fewest players that fit what the Raps front office likes, and no one they can offer (especially if Anfernee is a RFA) should interest them, unless they are moving Dame.

That doesn't mean that they won't trade OG, but right now the Blazers have nothing to offer.

EDIT: This reads like I think you could get Dame for OG...That would be impossible
              Last edited by blackjitsu; Wed Jun 22, 2022, 10:51 PM.

Comment

I think it clearly is nonsense. What do the Blazers have that would interest the Raps, considering, the play style that the Raps implement? Where are there wings? Who plays defense on that team?

I'm not saying I don't like certain players on the Blazers, but the Raptors have a clear system that players need to be able to fit. They can't "overpay," because they don't have the right kind of players. The 7th pick in a mediocre draft shouldn't be enticing to a front office that traded out of the first round.

Everyone here knows what the Raps front office generally wants-- oversized, mobile players who can switch. Without including a star, how could the Blazers put together a trade that is good enough for both Bobby and Masai to decide to suddenly change course? They can't. Of all the teams in the NBA, the Blazers are the one with the fewest players that fit what the Raps front office likes, and no one they can offer (especially if Anfernee is a RFA) should interest them, unless they are moving Dame.

That doesn't mean that they won't trade OG, but right now the Blazers have nothing to offer.
                By fake/nonsense I'm referring to this isn't fake news like some people want it to be. Blazers want OG. Its a matter of what they are willing to give up to get him.

They can overpay. Lets say hypothetically they offer the 7th pick, a future FRP, a future SRP, Hart and Keon. That a whole lot of assets to have whether its to keep or for future trades. It isn't about what the Raptors want, its about what value/assets Blazers give up.

We also need to move away from thinking the Raptors only want tall, long wing players. We drafted Flynn, we traded for Gary, we kept Fred. Raptors aren't strictly looking for wings. If they feel they like a player who doesn't fit the tall, long wing mold, they'll take him.

Comment

By fake/nonsense I'm referring to this isn't fake news like some people want it to be. Blazers want OG. Its a matter of what they are willing to give up to get him.

They can overpay. Lets say hypothetically they offer the 7th pick, a future FRP, a future SRP, Hart and Keon. That a whole lot of assets to have whether its to keep or for future trades. It isn't about what the Raptors want, its about what value/assets Blazers give up.

We also need to move away from thinking the Raptors only want tall, long wing players. We drafted Flynn, we traded for Gary, we kept Fred. Raptors aren't strictly looking for wings. If they feel they like a player who doesn't fit the tall, long wing mold, they'll take him.
                  Oh, no doubt the Blazers want OG. I don't doubt that.

Yes, there will definitely be guys that the Raps look at, that make them believe that their talent is more important than their ability to fit in the system. However, OG is the poster boy for what the front office tends to like. Also, the odds of any pick in the trade you are suggesting having both the on court value and the financial benefits that OG has is unlikely.

You are pushing the timeline for the Raps back significantly, while also changing the on court philosophy of the team. (I would assume that's the point) Personally, I can't really see a reason for that. Maybe if the goal is to build the team around Scotty. But the one player a reasonable front office would want to keep, if they rebuilt the Raps around Scotty is OG.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post

The purpose of the trade is not about Noel, it’s to turn a uncertain asset, GTJ, into a cost controlled lottery pick, while also getting playable depth. Noel being a huge defensive upgrade and negligible impact offensive downgrade to Birch, while adding guard shooting depth, is a plus.
                    Negligible offensive downgrade is where we disagree. Noel is a disaster offensively, Birch is a neutral-ish guy. The offensive upgrade from Noel to Birch is basically the same as the defensive upgrade the other way.

But we agree, the entire point is to get the pick, Noel is irrelevant to the deal.
                    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Blazers can't include Simons in a trade since he's a RFA. Hard for them to make a truly compelling offer for OG.

Comment

• I think what is important to note is that MU has said they don't want to continue to rebuild, they want to start winning. Trading a starter for a lottery pick just means more rebuilding and setting back the timeline for competing for an championship.

Comment

• good trade for portland can’t wait to see what raptors do less than 24 hours till the draft

Comment

Oh, no doubt the Blazers want OG. I don't doubt that.

Yes, there will definitely be guys that the Raps look at, that make them believe that their talent is more important than their ability to fit in the system. However, OG is the poster boy for what the front office tends to like. Also, the odds of any pick in the trade you are suggesting having both the on court value and the financial benefits that OG has is unlikely.

You are pushing the timeline for the Raps back significantly, while also changing the on court philosophy of the team. (I would assume that's the point) Personally, I can't really see a reason for that. Maybe if the goal is to build the team around Scotty. But the one player a reasonable front office would want to keep, if they rebuilt the Raps around Scotty is OG.
                            Timeline will definitely get pushed back. It depends how high the Raptors are on Mathurin, Daniels or Sharpe if any of them are available at 7. It also depends if the rumors around OG wanting a larger role is true (I don't think they are, or not enough for OG to want to leave).

I don't think a Blazers trade happens unless they end up overpaying, which was the point of my discussion.

Comment

Timeline will definitely get pushed back. It depends how high the Raptors are on Mathurin, Daniels or Sharpe if any of them are available at 7. It also depends if the rumors around OG wanting a larger role is true (I don't think they are, or not enough for OG to want to leave).

I don't think a Blazers trade happens unless they end up overpaying, which was the point of my discussion.
                              How do the Blazers overpay? They can't trade Simons because he's an RFA. Go look at their roster in the trade machine. Hart is OK and then no one else tradeable is any good besides Dame. What would a Blazers overpay look like to you? I don't see how they can.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

How do the Blazers overpay? They can't trade Simons because he's an RFA. Go look at their roster in the trade machine. Hart is OK and then no one else tradeable is any good besides Dame. What would a Blazers overpay look like to you? I don't see how they can.
                                Looking at their roster, its hard to see it. Only way is multiple FRPs I suppose.

Only other way I see a deal happen is if Raptors are really high on a draft pick like Mathurin, Sharpe or Daniels. Masai has tried to trade in drafts before to move up to draft Giannis, Shai, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X