No announcement yet.

Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the certainty that there would be a better package than OG, Trent and a pile of picks? I don't think we can say that for certain.
    twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• Rudy Bargnani wrote: View Post

I mean if Pascal and Scottie are untouchables then you aren't trading for Kevin freaking Durant. I mean come on man lol. It Pascal and Siakam are not on the table they will have better offers for sure. And if you include one of them raps might be front runners to get him. Brooklyn will be in (potentially) in sam situation as spurs where they want to stay relevant. Nets traded away pics and will want a piece that can contribute. Zac Lowe and Bobby both had them as the first team they would call but placed the caveat that it was about Scottie being in deal.
      In terms of a hypothetical KD deal, Pascal is realistic from a salary matching perspective, but the Raptors would need to give up at least one other starter to make the salaries match in order to include Scottie in a KD trade. That makes it much, much harder to come up with a win-now trade for the Raptors. (To make such a trade work effectively from a roster spot perspective might require a second starter to be included, at which point the entire idea is essentially moot.)

Pascal + salary (signed-and-traded Thad, say) as a framework for KD makes much more sense for a win-now trade for the Raptors. I expect that, given their ages and the usual performance curves of NBA players, Pascal will be outperforming KD by the end of KD's contract, and possible as soon as the the third year of KD's contract; with that in mind, I wouldn't be interested in giving the Nets a massive haul of picks to make the trade happen.

Edited to add: I'm actually not in favor of a KD trade in which either Pascal or Scottie is included... and I doubt that the Nets are interested in a trade in which they receive neither Pascal nor Scottie.
      Last edited by TheWaterboy; Fri Jun 24, 2022, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post

Another Summer League name - Jaylen Sims
        https://twitter.com/JonChep/status/1...CxgYv13uAqAAAA

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
          Why the certainty that there would be a better package than OG, Trent and a pile of picks? I don't think we can say that for certain.
          http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=28aczvmp

Most certain a Siakam/ VanVleet/ Birch and a pile of picks

for

KD/ Joe Harris and Claxton

Comment

• The Claw Reborn wrote: View Post

for

KD would rubber stamp this move in a heart beat….

his team would automatically be Championship Contenders

Precious
            OG
            KD
            Trent
            Scottie manning the point

Harris - 6th man
            Claxton
            Koloko
            Flynn
            Banton

then release that MLE dollars to get another PG/ SG combo and a vet big

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post

Koloko is what he is but given the Raps track record I'm not going to discount the pick or what he might turn into. Time will tell. Way to soon to say that he was #6 by a consensus measurement so he is basically a project big - you don't really know that until you see him play.

As for inert, you can only say that if you believe Barnes and Achiuwa have peaked on their development, that Gary Trent won't have a big contract year, and that their current projects like Banton will provide zero. Not sure that's the case. Hell, even OG and Trent aren't full finished players. There's lots of runway for the current core players to get better. Even Pascal.

Will this season look like the last? It might in the aggregate but they haven't even had a crack at free agency yet, let alone trades, so it's probably wise to let the roster settle before getting too far ahead of ourselves. As for what's going on around them, it's way to early to judge the teams around them..
              100%
              Organic growth is more than possible with Barnes and Trent. Its going to be expected I suspect.

By inert I meant that management is not actively looking to move off the status quo. What the Raps have on the depth chart now will hopefully be augmented by more depth at PG (maybe someone who Nurse will play) and probably another wing with size and length.
              Then thats it. Not much else they can do save for a trade.

We will hear the same kinda stuff we usually hear at the pressers. Some variation of the "we believe in our guys" theme. But with the draft in the rear view mirror its now more wait and see till the deadline now.
              There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
              - TGO

Comment

for

If KD wants to come here, it's to play with Pascal and Fred (and Scottie).

You could probably convince him you don't lose much by sending one guy, but not both.

Also, the Nets would definitely want younger guys to put alongside Simmons, who is essentially their core if they move off of Kyrie and KD. Not guys in their prime.

In any case, my question wasn't whether the Raptors could make a better offer, it was whether someone else (that KD would want to play for) could.
                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Why the certainty that there would be a better package than OG, Trent and a pile of picks? I don't think we can say that for certain.
                  I find it incredibly unlikely KD would get traded without an all star + picks going back.
                  Siakam = Derozan in the Kawhi trade
                  Last edited by Rudy Bargnani; Fri Jun 24, 2022, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• TrueTorontoFan wrote: View Post

Define project?

He was a pac-12 defensive player of the year. You go down the list of those players and you will see every single one at MINIMUM had NBA level defensive intensity and talent. Do you know who won it last year?

Not comparing him with last year's player in terms of defensive level but he isn't some big huge giant project like you are thinking. He will likely outplay by end of year one. There is my prediction right now. Koloko is not Kamagate.
                    I don't share your passion for this...
                    We have drafted good C's ( Bosh and JV ) but in the top 5 of the draft.

There are far more Zan Tabak's and Pape Sows and Solomon Alabis and DeWan Hernandez and Mamadou N'Diaye type 2nd round flyers that just fade away to the background.

Hope I am 100% dead ass wrong on Special K... but history doesn't favour him.
                    There's no such thing as a 2nd round bust.
                    - TGO

Comment

I find it incredibly unlikely KD would get traded without an all star + picks going back.
                      Well, which team is offering an all star and picks? And are they on KD's list?
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Depends if Nets want to rebuild. They don't have a lot of picks currently but if they S&T Kyrie and trade KD, they'll have a boat load of picks.

Another thing they have to worry about is Simmons. Pascal and Simmons wouldn't be a good fit. They could look to trade Simmons but who knows what they get for him.

Comment

• Demographic Shift wrote: View Post

I don't share your passion for this...
                          We have drafted good C's ( Bosh and JV ) but in the top 5 of the draft.

There are far more Zan Tabak's and Pape Sows and Solomon Alabis and DeWan Hernandez and Mamadou N'Diaye type 2nd round flyers that just fade away to the background.

Hope I am 100% dead ass wrong on Special K... but history doesn't favour him.
                          I mean, there's a difference between Dewan Hernandez picked at 59 and Christian Koloko picked at 33. Heck, the closest comparable for this front office is probably Pascal Siakam at 27th. Hard to blame people for being optimistic.
                          twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

If KD wants to come here, it's to play with Pascal and Fred (and Scottie).

You could probably convince him you don't lose much by sending one guy, but not both.

Also, the Nets would definitely want younger guys to put alongside Simmons, who is essentially their core if they move off of Kyrie and KD. Not guys in their prime.

In any case, my question wasn't whether the Raptors could make a better offer, it was whether someone else (that KD would want to play for) could.
                            How would you know this shit…

you cant even be certain that other teams can top an offer by the Raptors in OG/ Trent and load of picks

and yet here you are so certain what KD is thinking

LOL

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Depends if Nets want to rebuild. They don't have a lot of picks currently but if they S&T Kyrie and trade KD, they'll have a boat load of picks.

Another thing they have to worry about is Simmons. Pascal and Simmons wouldn't be a good fit. They could look to trade Simmons but who knows what they get for him.
                              100%. The Nets had a big three, will likely lose Kyrie for nothing and traded Harden for Simmons. If they are forced to move KD, the entire plan for them should be building around Simmons, and frankly the best fit offers from the Raps would be two of OG, Trent and Fred as shooters and defenders to put around Simmons as the creator. And I suspect they'd value Trent and OG the highest with their age and upside and fit in terms of skillset and timeline. And their pending free agencies are irrelevant to the Raps offers, Fred and Pascal are up at the same time as Trent and OG.

twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

How would you know this shit…

you cant even be certain that other teams can top an offer by the Raptors in OG/ Trent and load of picks

and yet here you are so certain what KD is thinking

LOL
                                Yes, quite a mystery, the good player might want to play with the good players. Call me magic.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X