Raptors Offseason 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A.I wrote: View Post
    If Raptors refused to trade OG for 7th and whatever assets the Blazers have, they have no chance in hell to get KD.
    I've given this some thought and I think the Raptors actually have a decent chance at getting Durant.

First off, assume that Durant is open to being traded to more than one team - say he has a shortlist. I mean, if KD is going to try to force his way to the Clippers or something, then this is all academic. But let's say he's open to a few possibilities.

Second, assume that if Durant does in fact want a trade, he wants to be traded to a contender. That punts a lot of asset-rich teams out of the running. And assume he wants to play with that contender's stars, so you obviously can't trade them for him.

Third, assume that Brooklyn demands a hefty payout for KD, because of course they will. That probably knocks out Philly, who have no picks to trade and could probably only do a package of Tobias Harris + Tyrese Maxey + Matisse Thybulle, which probably isn't good enough. (Plus, does KD want to play with Harden again?). Milwaukee can only offer up a bunch of overpaid bench players, so they're out. Utah can offer three firsts plus one of Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell, plus Nickeil Alexander-Walker, and I suspect that's not good enough for Brooklyn either. The Clippers have no picks and can basically offer two of Norm, Marcus Morris, Robert Covington and Luke Kennard, and I doubt that gets it done.

Fourth, assume that Durant doesn't want to go back to Golden State (which would be straight-up humiliating). GS could offer Andrew Wiggins plus some combination of Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody, James Wiseman and Jordan Poole, plus they have all their picks except their 2024 first, so they could actually put together a decent package. But I really don't think KD wants to return to GS with his tail between his legs.

That leaves the following options:

1. Phoenix. Four firsts, plus either a sign-and-trade for Deandre Ayton (if Ayton decides he wants to go to Brooklyn) or Mikal Bridges plus Landry Shamet and/or Torrey Craig.
    2. Dallas. Three firsts, plus Josh Green and some combination of Tim Hardaway Jr., Spencer Dinwiddie, Davis Bertans, Dwight Powell, and Dorian Finney-Smith.
    3. Miami. Three firsts, plus Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro.
    4. Chicago. Three firsts (one of which is Portland's 2023, which has diminishing protections over time), plus one of DeMar or Nikola Vucevic, plus Coby White and Patrick Williams.
    5. Denver. No picks, but Michael Porter Jr., Bones Hyland, and one of Aaron Gordon or Will Barton.
    6. Memphis. Five firsts (their 23/25/27/29, plus Golden State's 2024), plus Jaren Jackson Jr. and some combination of Desmond Bane, Brandon Clarke and Ziaire Williams.
    7. Boston. Three firsts, plus Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Grant Williams and Payton Pritchard.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto's potential offer of four firsts, OG and GTJ is straight-up better than almost all of those packages except Memphis and Boston, and I suspect JJJ wouldn't make it into any Memphis deal because KD would presumably want to play with him. OG/GTJ is the youngest package other than Memphis' on top of being one of the most talented.

All of that said: my money would be on Boston. Lots of talent to trade, lots of talent leftover after they make the trade, enough picks to be reasonable return, and it's got prestige factor.
    Last edited by magoon; Sat Jun 25, 2022, 11:27 PM.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post

I've given this some thought and I think the Raptors actually have a decent chance at getting Durant.

First off, assume that Durant is open to being traded to more than one team - say he has a shortlist. I mean, if KD is going to try to force his way to the Clippers or something, then this is all academic. But let's say he's open to a few possibilities.

Second, assume that if Durant does in fact want a trade, he wants to be traded to a contender. That punts a lot of asset-rich teams out of the running. And assume he wants to play with that contender's stars, so you obviously can't trade them for him.

Third, assume that Brooklyn demands a hefty payout for KD, because of course they will. That probably knocks out Philly, who have no picks to trade and could probably only do a package of Tobias Harris + Tyrese Maxey + Matisse Thybulle, which probably isn't good enough. (Plus, does KD want to play with Harden again?). Milwaukee can only offer up a bunch of overpaid bench players, so they're out. Utah can offer three firsts plus one of Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell, plus Nickeil Alexander-Walker, and I suspect that's not good enough for Brooklyn either. The Clippers have no picks and can basically offer two of Norm, Marcus Morris, Robert Covington and Luke Kennard, and I doubt that gets it done.

Fourth, assume that Durant doesn't want to go back to Golden State (which would be straight-up humiliating). GS could offer Andrew Wiggins plus some combination of Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody, James Wiseman and Jordan Poole, plus they have all their picks except their 2024 first, so they could actually put together a decent package. But I really don't think KD wants to return to GS with his tail between his legs.

That leaves the following options:

1. Phoenix. Four firsts, plus either a sign-and-trade for Deandre Ayton (if Ayton decides he wants to go to Brooklyn) or Mikal Bridges plus Landry Shamet and/or Torrey Craig.
      2. Dallas. Three firsts, plus Josh Green and some combination of Tim Hardaway Jr., Spencer Dinwiddie, Davis Bertans, Dwight Powell, and Dorian Finney-Smith.
      3. Miami. Three firsts, plus Duncan Robinson and Tyler Herro.
      4. Chicago. Three firsts (one of which is Portland's 2023, which has diminishing protections over time), plus one of DeMar or Nikola Vucevic, plus Coby White and Patrick Williams.
      5. Denver. No picks, but Michael Porter Jr., Bones Hyland, and one of Aaron Gordon or Will Barton.
      6. Memphis. Five firsts (their 23/25/27/29, plus Golden State's 2024), plus Jaren Jackson Jr. and some combination of Desmond Bane, Brandon Clarke and Ziaire Williams.
      7. Boston. Three firsts, plus Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Grant Williams and Payton Pritchard.

I think it's fair to say that Toronto's potential offer of four firsts, OG and GTJ is straight-up better than almost all of those packages except Memphis and Boston, and I suspect JJJ wouldn't make it into any Memphis deal because KD would presumably want to play with him. OG/GTJ is the youngest package other than Memphis' on top of being one of the most talented.

All of that said: my money would be on Boston. Lots of talent to trade, lots of talent leftover after they make the trade, enough picks to be reasonable return, and it's got prestige factor.
      Good post. I don't think Miami has a shot with only Herro, they will probably have to add another pick or 2. Robinson isn't good enough, so only other option is to add Bam which they probably won't do.

Boston has a good shot if they are willing to give up Jaylen Brown.

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post

Have you, like, missed the last decade of the player (and specifically star) empowerment era? If KD asks out (which is the only reason the Nets would trade him) why would his leverage be different where he ended up than in Brooklyn?
        Being in a situation, knowing what you have and deciding you want out is different than being traded to a team and instantly mailing it in imo.

This isn’t the early 2000’s, if you’re traded nowadays, I assume you have to put in some kind of effort before being able to mail it in again

Comment

• Kawhi to Toronto is like the main example of this. Got traded to a team that wasn’t his ideal and he still put in the effort until he could move on

Comment

• I would include NOP in that group of teams as well

Plenty of future picks, BI would give the nets an allstar in return, and KD joining Zion, CJ and all the young guys would make them a contender

Comment

• Bonus Jonas wrote: View Post
              Kawhi to Toronto is like the main example of this. Got traded to a team that wasn’t his ideal and he still put in the effort until he could move on
              Kawhi needed Toronto as much as Toronto needed Kawhi. That’s been forgotten over time. Lots of teams passed on Leonard.

I think Durant is a different beast.

Comment

I don't think Durant would swallow going back to GSW, he'd be the butt of a million jokes/memes. Beyond that though, I don't think Curry wants him back and I don't think they trade or include Wiggins for him.

Boston offering 3 firsts, plus Jaylen Brown, Derrick White, Marcus Smart, Robert Williams, Grant Williams and Payton Pritchard.
                Celtics both scare me and would pizz me off. They win the next 3 chips in a row. And I don't think it would take the package above. That would turn over 1/2 the nets roster.

If the Raps could do this without touching Scotty and Pascal, giddy up. But I just have a feeling that Durant would decline or be injured half the time. I don't think there's much of a chance it happens anyway but pass from me.

Above is my opinion in red, not pink font

Comment

• Its a tough call. The bidding war for durant could be so big you just have nothing left. If it doesnt work first year your toast. Durant gets older and you have no picks and no money

that said the raptors players 1-6 im guessing are closer together talent wise than maybe every team in the league so we could have enough talent remaining to make a formidable team.

then theres durants injury proneness. Its scary we could be set back 5-6 years maybe longer if that experiment fails. Or...

Comment

• To add to the KD fire - from HoopsRumors.com

Kevin Durant hasn’t talked to anyone from the Nets in weeks and is losing confidence in the team’s ability to handle the contract standoff with Kyrie Irving, Logan Murdock of The Ringer said on a recent podcast (hat tip to NetsDaily).
                    There has been growing speculation over the past week that Durant may force his way out if Brooklyn can’t re-sign Irving. Murdock said that decision isn’t inevitable, but warned that concerns about the potential “destruction” of the current roster are legitimate.
                    “I don’t know if he’s at the stage of leaving but there’s a big uneasiness from not only from the Kyrie side, but the KD side as well,” Murdock said.
                    Brooklyn was lauded as the NBA’s next super team when Durant, Irving and DeAndre Jordan decided to sign there as free agents in 2019. James Harden was added in a January 2021 deal to form a Big Three, but things haven’t gone as planned. The Nets have captured just one playoff series in that span, Harden is already gone and the other two stars appear to be in danger of leaving as well.
                    Murdock explained that when Durant chose Brooklyn, he had a vision of competing for titles while playing alongside his friends. Because that hasn’t happened, Durant is beginning to consider his options, especially if Irving doesn’t return.
                    “His biggest beef is that he feels that the front office didn’t grow to understand Kyrie, whatever that means,” Murdock said. “I would push back on that when a guy leaves for two weeks at a time … Kyrie earns the lion’s share of the blame. But I think KD believes that ‘hey, you guys didn’t understand this guy. You didn’t try to figure out where he was coming from.’”
                    Durant is also unhappy about the Nets’ expected parting with Adam Harrington as an assistant coach and director of development. Harrington was Durant’s shooting coach with the Thunder and is a longtime friend.
                    Murdock adds that Durant chose not to be involved in the Nets’ free agent recruiting process this year.

Comment

• Yuri Gagarin wrote: View Post
                      then theres durants injury proneness.
                      Other than the Achilles tear in 2019 which cost him 19-20 and most of 20-21, Durant has generally been pretty reliable for most of his career for 60+ games.

Comment

Other than the Achilles tear in 2019 which cost him 19-20 and most of 20-21, Durant has generally been pretty reliable for most of his career for 60+ games.
                        He's 34 years old now.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Ebonhawke wrote: View Post
                          To add to the KD fire - from HoopsRumors.com
                          i'm just really enjoying posts from nets daily and the comments section on this lazy sunday morning. here's another quote from logan murdock not included in your post, from nets daily:

“When I was there in March, you could see the seeds of ... It just wasn’t good, man. It didn’t seem like a functioning environment,” Murdock told O’Connor. “It didn’t seem like this was a plan. It seemed like a team whose plan all went to shit. And I think that’s the story of this franchise.
                          the bold is a perfect epitaph for this team and pleases me immensely
                          Last edited by chris; Sun Jun 26, 2022, 01:09 PM.

Comment

• A.I wrote: View Post

Good post. I don't think Miami has a shot with only Herro, they will probably have to add another pick or 2. Robinson isn't good enough, so only other option is to add Bam which they probably won't do.

Boston has a good shot if they are willing to give up Jaylen Brown.
                            Do you think Boston has a shot at a title with just Tatum and KD though? They sort of need Jaylen as the third star.

Comment

• LJ2 wrote: View Post

Do you think Boston has a shot at a title with just Tatum and KD though? They sort of need Jaylen as the third star.
                              Yes for sure. They almost won this year without KD. Swap Brown for KD and they are undoubtedly a much better team.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post

Yes for sure. They almost won this year without KD. Swap Brown for KD and they are undoubtedly a much better team.
                                I guess if they don't trade anyone else. Not sure KD at age 34 can defend like Brown but man can he still fill it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X